Keeping references happy while searching for jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SortingItOut

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to several residency locations (pre-match and post-match) and a few job sites. Lots of letters of recommendation. Nothing to show for it.

I have been asking the same 3+ references over and over again, and I'm afraid they are going to get frustrated and tell me sorry, they are done helping me. Is there any way I can let them know I greatly appreciate what they are doing? I'm thinking about sending them a thank you gift (something from a delivery service).

I know I could go and ask other references, but these three references have taken an active interest and know me. I hate to switch references.

Any advice?
 
First thing first. Do a damn good job working with those who will be your reference to begin with.. quite frankly, some who's asked me for a reference, I just can't give a positive support.

Well, that's really about it... but bribery always works.. ok, not really.