Keeping track of Observation Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aczerniak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I keep track of the hours I rack up shadowing/observing since i'm not planning on applying until the 2014 cycle? Can I just do it informally until I fill out the application? If so, what happens at the time of the application then?

Members don't see this ad.

How should I keep track of the hours I rack up shadowing/observing since i'm not planning on applying until the 2014 cycle? Can I just do it informally until I fill out the application? If so, what happens at the time of the application then?

Yes you just keep track of them on your own and when you apply to PT school you will put the hours in electronically on the PTCAS application and then they send it to the PT (you provide the email address) for them to verify the hours. Really Easy

I suggest making a spreadsheet (excel/google/whatever). That way you can keep track of hours and the specialty hours, such as neuro, ortho, geriatric, pediatric, etc. Those divisions are required when you finally submit your observation hours.

It's something I hadn't taken into account when I was first volunteering. Luckily I kept notes on what I observed, and from the notes, I was able to make divisions between the types of sessions. Plus, I think it's nice to be able to look back and understand more about some treatment you observed--just from having more experience or classes.