Kern Medical Center Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

substanceP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you all thought about the Kern Medical Center EM residency program in Bakersfield, CA (http://www.kmcemed.edu/). Has anyone here interviewed there or applied there in years past? What were your impressions? Also, is there a disadvantage to training at a Level II trauma center vs. Level I? Couldn't you just do an elective month at another institution in burns and whatever else is part of the training at a Level I center but missing from the training at a Level II? I tried running a search on KMC but nothing useful came up. Thanks.

--sp

Members don't see this ad.

substanceP said:
I was just wondering what you all thought about the Kern Medical Center EM residency program in Bakersfield, CA (http://www.kmcemed.edu/). Has anyone here interviewed there or applied there in years past? What were your impressions? Also, is there a disadvantage to training at a Level II trauma center vs. Level I? Couldn't you just do an elective month at another institution in burns and whatever else is part of the training at a Level I center but missing from the training at a Level II? I tried running a search on KMC but nothing useful came up. Thanks.

--sp
I interviewed there last December, and I really liked the people there. They were really close-knit, as you would expect for a small hospital. For example, I know a bunch of the guys play bball together about once a week. The pluses were: (in no particular order) that when you are off-service, there are very few other residencies. So, if you are on Ortho, Neuro, ENT, it's you and an attending. Also, they end up reading all of their own films/CTs etc. with the radiology attending. That's also good. Tons of hispanic patients.
The minuses for me were (in order): no reputation (in job search terms), unsure of their academic emphasis, living in Bakersfield, and living in Bakersfield.

Please note that I enjoyed the interview very much, and they were all super chill, but for me I wanted a more academic program in a larger city.

substanceP said:
Also, is there a disadvantage to training at a Level II trauma center vs. Level I? Couldn't you just do an elective month at another institution in burns and whatever else is part of the training at a Level I center but missing from the training at a Level II?
Remember that the capabilities of Level I and II trauma centers are identical. The Level Is have research and education with the education primarily meaning a surgical residency and probably a trauma fellowship.

http://www.emsa.cahwnet.gov/emsdivision/trauma_level_overview.asp
http://www.dph.sf.ca.us/chn/Trauma/TraumaDef.shtml
http://www.facs.org/trauma/faq_answers.html

You may actually get better experience as an EM resident at a level II because you are not behind as many people in the management of trauma pateints in the ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was just wondering...What is the general opinion of Kern in the EM world? :D

It seems like a good place to train, its a county facility, its UCLA affiliated, has level II trauma status(Level I off the books, no other hospital), lots of peds, lots of hands on due to lack of other covering residents ie (ortho, burns, neuro, etc), 20 8hr shifts per month.

Disadvantages are location, location, small class of 7 and 4 years to some....

So as long as one is ok with the location it sounds like a great place to get true hands on training and one should be well trained after residency esp in peds...What's the word on the streets?:D

The word on the street can be either good or bad....info of any kind is what I'm looking for :)

Well, it's UCLA affiliated but UCLA is so far away from Kern Medical Center that it would seem to me that any benefit derived from it may be miniscule. But I'm just speculating seeing how I don't have any firsthand experience there.

Well, I just matched there. It was actually my second choice, so I'm pretty happy with it. First of all, the word on the street is that the program is solid, and well respected. Some call it the best kept secret in California. Although I have no first hand experience, I will tell you what I have been told about the program, which has been a similar description from multiple different people. There is plenty of trauma, and yes it basically operates as a level 1. The ED handles all trauma, they are not just sitting up at the head waiting to be told what to do by trauma surgery. The ED runs the trauma resuscitation, and trauma surgery will be there to basically do the thoracotomy, but the ED makes all decisions and has first shot at all chest tubes and lines. The ED residents also run all medical codes in the hospital. This is a great experience in intubation and running codes. I have been told that the teaching is top notch. Grand rounds occurs twice a week. Also, if you are a get your hands dirty kind of person, then Kern is the place to be. I like the fact that there isn't strong backup with residents from other specialties. You have to learn to handle certain ortho cases, burns, or ENT, etc. cases that would normally be taken off your hands. Also, there isn't a designated pediatric hospital in the area. Therefore, you are seeing peds patients everyday - including trauma. They average about 55,000 - 60,000 patient visits a year, so I believe it is a good thing there are only 7 residents - plenty to go around. And yes, it is a UCLA program, but I honestly do not know how that comes into play as a benefit. I'm not saying it's not a benefit, I just don't understand how it works. UCLA is on your diploma when you're done there, so that's cool.

Let's see....the negatives. Location. Well, it depends on your perspective. Bakersfield has a reputation of cow town. But I believe that's an out-dated stereotype. Bakersfield has actually grown into quite a modern city with all the gated communities, golf courses, parks with riverwalks, popular restaurants and shops you could want. As far as California goes, at an affordable price. I have a wife and kids, so we're looking forward to the family friendly environment, but if you are single and looking for great night life, then you would just need to make it through your shifts and head down to LA. it does have it's bad areas, and the hospital is definitely in the hood. But I guess that's what you want for a trauma center. Also, I have heard the cardiology experience is not strong there. I believe there is no cath lab at Kern, so most of the heart stuff goes to a nearby hospital with a cath lab. However, the residents do spend a month in the CCU at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles, and many of the residents moonlight at the nearby heart hospital. In addition, I have been told that they still get significant experience with chest pain r/o MI at Kern with the significant amount of walk-ins with chest pain. If anyone knows more, please feel free to correct or expand. Some people say being a 4 year program is a negative, but I wanted a 4 year program. It does suck that you have to match into an internship as well, but to me it's worth it.

All in All, it seemed the residents at Kern were happy, and everyone that I have talked to that trained there, says they feel over-trained, and ready to handle anything. It has 30 years of alumni. So I'm sure someone is lurking on these forums that trained there. Well, that's all I know. Good luck. PM me if you want to.

I am currently doing a rotation at KMC. It's definitely a great program. So far, I've gotten to know 5-6 of the residents and they are all confident, friendly and relaxed. The attendings give the residents a lot of autonomy but not at the cost of teaching.

KMC is a level 2 trauma center but they still get plenty of GSWs, SWs, MVAs, and TONS of ATV accidents. You will definitely have plenty of trauma exposure there. As far as other pathologies, you will have your hands full as well. Bakersfield might be a small town but the ED is just busy as any other inner city department that I have seen.

The downside? I really can't think of much. Yes, you're in a small town but you are only 3 hours from LA or 6-7 hours from SF.

Hope this helped

I am currently doing a rotation at KMC. It's definitely a great program. So far, I've gotten to know 5-6 of the residents and they are all confident, friendly and relaxed. The attendings give the residents a lot of autonomy but not at the cost of teaching.

KMC is a level 2 trauma center but they still get plenty of GSWs, SWs, MVAs, and TONS of ATV accidents. You will definitely have plenty of trauma exposure there. As far as other pathologies, you will have your hands full as well. Bakersfield might be a small town but the ED is just busy as any other inner city department that I have seen.

The downside? I really can't think of much. Yes, you're in a small town but you are only 3 hours from LA or 6-7 hours from SF.

Hope this helped

Bakersfield may not be a very favorable location, however traveling to Los Angeles may only take you about and hour to an hour in a half, I have lived in Bakersfield my whole life and visit LA often, San Fransisco may only take 5- 5.5 hours. Additionally, Bakersfield is becoming a much larger city and is now larger than Anaheim. Therefore, the amount of trauma that passes through KMC is enormous, I was recently speaking to the Chief of Trauma there at KMC (Dr. Skinner) and she said that KMC has Trauma comparable to any trauma hospital based in any urban area in LA, which she has personal experienced working in several downtown LA trauma centers. KMC is the only trauma center within a 120 mile radius within the valley. The teaching is phenomenal, and the Doctors that work there are renown throughout the country for their success and great work. It really is a good kept secret in California. Patients are referred to KMC from around the country on a regular basis and even other parts of the world. I feel as though it would be a huge privilege to work there. I just attended a three day medical conference there in Bakersfield hosted by CSUB for the KMC-UCLA affiliation. UCLA has received a large federal grant to expand certain areas of research and patient care, and had undertaken KMC as a leading hospital to conduct research because of its availability to a large data pull and diverse set of patients.

Is it possible for medical students to match directly into the Kern Medical Center EM residency?

I understand the internship year requirement, so in other words can a medical student match directly into the internship year at Kern with a guarantee to start their EM residency the following year?

Or does the Kern intern need to apply for the EM residency spot with the possibility of not matching into it? Thanks.

Is it possible for medical students to match directly into the Kern Medical Center EM residency?

I understand the internship year requirement, so in other words can a medical student match directly into the internship year at Kern with a guarantee to start their EM residency the following year?

Or does the Kern intern need to apply for the EM residency spot with the possibility of not matching into it? Thanks.

As a 4th year you apply to both prelim programs (or transitional) plus Kern EM (and other EM programs).

That year if you matched at Kern you would match at Kern for your 2nd year as well as your intern year. So both would already be guaranteed.

Next year will be different. They got approval to take categorical interns so it will be one match. I'm not in the ER program there, but the residents in the program seem to like their training (and so do the graduates I know). They do have a 2nd year spot open due to someone deciding on a different specialty (starts 7-1-11) which I posted about in the positions thread. This was how I came upon this thread so I thought I would add my two cents.

As a 4th year you apply to both prelim programs (or transitional) plus Kern EM (and other EM programs).

That year if you matched at Kern you would match at Kern for your 2nd year as well as your intern year. So both would already be guaranteed.
So do you have to do the dual application thing where you apply to prelim positions?

Next year will be different. They got approval to take categorical interns so it will be one match. I'm not in the ER program there, but the residents in the program seem to like their training (and so do the graduates I know). They do have a 2nd year spot open due to someone deciding on a different specialty (starts 7-1-11) which I posted about in the positions thread. This was how I came upon this thread so I thought I would add my two cents.

How sure of this are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you have to do the dual application thing where you apply to prelim positions?

How sure of this are you?

The program director told us we could count on their interns rotating with us after the next match (we were discussing how to make things work for the new work hour rules and it came up that it was too bad they weren't starting this July).

The program director told us we could count on their interns rotating with us after the next match (we were discussing how to make things work for the new work hour rules and it came up that it was too bad they weren't starting this July).

Sounds promising. I will call to see if they will confirm. I was considering not applying there because of the PGY 2-4 was unappealing.

I could use another cali program, plus the reviews are favorable

Update: called today and it has been confirmed that they will be a PGY 1-4 starting this cycle.

Last edited:
Is moonlighting allowed during residency? Where do the ER residents typically moonlight?

--sp

They just changed their program status this past year to a 1-4 program

Last edited:
I interviewed at Kern a few weeks ago. It is 4-yr program with salary of $40k (lowest in the nation). Cost of living is not that cheap really. PD didn't show up at all on my interview day. PC took us to cafeteria for breakfast, then we sat at a conference. Then we went to 3 interviews. Then lunch and tour. No ppt presentation about the program. Interviewers seemed tired from working and didn't seem they read our files at all. Tour was ok. Residents work hard. No overlap b/t shifts. Pt notes on paper still. TWO days 4 hrs each of conference time. Heat waves typical in summer. Senior residents were still looking for jobs/fellowships; they were still working on their research requirement for graduation. Intern year schedule include 2 whole floor months.

Now, the good: free food during shifts in cafeteria, California, lots of procedures (it seems)

Pros:
- California
- 2-3 hours from LA
- 8 hour shifts
- residents are friendly and forthcoming with information
- get to do CCU and electives at Cedar Sinai hospital

Cons:
- Bakersfield - great place if you are married. hard if you are single.
- no radiologist over night
- not a cardiac or stroke center, not a level 1 trauma center (though they say they see a fair share of it) --> transfer a lot
- 4 year program
- program director does not appear to be as active (wasn't there the day of interview)

Kern Medical Emergency is a diamond in the rough. I recently graduated and stayed on as faculty (that says something right?) Feel free to PM me with any questions re the program.

A lot of the aforementioned still rings true: 1-4, Lvl 2 Trauma with excellent experience, Bakersfield isn't as bad as its reputation, moonlighting allowed at Urgent Cares and Community EDs (great $$), this program has been around a long time and actually does have a great reputation for job placement, and everything else you can read above.

some new developments (2015): New PD and now a Stroke Center

For matching in residency, definitely do away/audition rotations where you want to end up and to see if the program is a "good fit". For Kern Medical Emergency you can visit for more info:

http://kmcemed.com/

http://www.kernmedical.com/health-p...rograms/emergency-medicine-residency-program/

http://www.kernmedical.com/health-professionals/medical-student-education/

I interviewed here - overall liked it a lot more than I expected. These were my thoughts:

Pros:
-Cheap COL
-Strong clinical training/procedures galore
-Laidback and fun group of residents and faculty
-Proximity to Los Angeles
-Weather
-Mountains (hiking and outdoors)
-Potential to make tons moonlighting

Cons:
-Bakersfield
-4 years
-no overnight rads

Can't speak for the em folks but training as a surgeon at kmc with no overnight rads unless you were willing to call the guy in from home that worked all day made me pretty good at interpreting my own films (something that comes in handy in the community of rads is taking forever for a read). I think now there is at least a nighthawk option for some stuff.

As for it being bakersfield, i ended up liking the lack of traffic and ease of parking whenever you go anywhere plus the low cost of living so much i stayed on (first as an attending and now in private practice where i get consulted from the ed by several prior kmc grads).