KevinMD and Overzealous Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, now KevinMD, an internist, and self proclaimed "Social Media's leading physician Voice" is trumpeting the virtues of psychologists with a prescription pad.
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/04/psychiatry-benefits-psychologists-prescribe-drugs.html

Do people really not understand or respect what we do and the depth of knowledge and experience it takes?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, now KevinMD, an internist, and self proclaimed "Social Media's leading physician Voice" is trumpeting the virtues of psychologists with a prescription pad.
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/04/psychiatry-benefits-psychologists-prescribe-drugs.html

Do people really not understand or respect what we do and the depth of knowledge and experience it takes?

Your stance on this article would hold more water if you pointed out specific fallacies in KevinMD's logic or evidence. I'm not even medical school yet, but I find this topic quite interesting. I'd like to hear more about why you reacted this way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stance on this article would hold more water if you pointed out specific fallacies in KevinMD's logic or evidence. I'm not even medical school yet, but I find this topic quite interesting. I'd like to hear more about why you reacted this way.

Your snippy reply would hold more water if you'd read the series of mind-numbing, logic-wasting, Sartre nausea producing threads on this forum over the past 3 weeks.

Your snippy reply would hold more water if you'd read the series of mind-numbing, logic-wasting, Sartre nausea producing threads on this forum over the past 3 weeks.

I'm not being snippy, but I admit I usually don't read from this forum so I'm not familar with the climate here. KevinMD's post, while you may not agree with it, is written with consideration to detail and his thoughts are clearly described. If someone wishes to discuss a difference of opinion, it would make more sense to point out one of the contentions of the article and discuss how the author is wrong. As someone with a degree in psych, I would actually be interested in what the OP has to say about it.

No, they do not.

Simple answer. The talk therapists should have the ability to prescribe meds like doctors.

Are you aware that this KevinMD column is a repost of the Carlat Blog post (3/22), written as a guest post?

Having a bad day are we? ;-)

First a bunch of medical students weigh in on the exciting topic of psychologist prescribers, then a resident weighs in medical students weighing in on psychologist prescribers.

Could we please get an attending to weigh in here too?

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

EDIT: looks like the thread has gotten just what it needs--OPD beat my post by a minute!

Last edited:
Having a bad day are we? ;-)

First a bunch of medical students weigh in on the exciting topic of psychologist prescribers, then a resident weighs in medical students weighing in on psychologist prescribers.

Could we please get an attending to weigh in here too?

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

EDIT: looks like the thread has gotten just what it needs now

What does my weight have to do with this?

What does my weight have to do with this?

Nothing. Nothing at all. Can we please get back to the subject at hand, which was residents' reactions to medical students and premeds discussing a repost of a blog post about psychologist prescribers, here on this thread, which is similar to other threads? That is soooooo interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.