keyhole Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

113zami

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for the first one: not A because the hole is not centered, not B because the edge of the long end is angled, not D because the sides of the hexagon are not equal, not E because the profile of the hexagonal part is not as thick as in the choice.

for the first one: looks like it's C

for the second one: not A because the the top left of choice a is too thick (right idea, wrong proportions), not B because the choice is made up of a rectangle + a triangle and the original's profile is a rectangle + smaller rectangle + triangle, not C because if you aligned the curved corner of the original and the curved corner of the choice you should see a difference in elevation on the bottom left of the choice similar to d, not D because the curved parts are different and the proportions of the indented edge is not right and the top should have a flat portion (right idea, wrong proportions).

for the second one: looks like it's E

*these are just my views, and i could be wrong. if anyone thinks these answers are wrong i'd love the hear why... it helps us all.

i agree with dente on the first one but i think the second one is B not E. The reason I don't think it's E is because the part in the back that juts out is sort of at an angle which you don't see in choice C. Instead you see a little piece sticking out of the top which is not there in the original.

i think i see the slight angle you're talking about. i didn't notice that before, but it's so slight that i wonder if that has something to do with the fact that it's drawn in perspective. the way i see it B seems to be missing a whole portion of the original. if you separate choice B into the rectangle and the triangle there's a lot of space missing compared to the original. if you were to look at it from the angle that choice B is looking i agree that in general it would look like that, but it would stick out further to the right. also, none of the choices that show that little tip bother to show the angle, which would say that the answer isn't looking for that...? (even though im saying that the choices that show the tip are wrong, i think they are wrong for other reasons) seems like the kind of thing they would love confuse us over.

i see your point, but i still have a problem with B.

113zami, what are the answers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with 1

I also think 2 is E, not B... If I see the slight angle you're talking about.. you're saying the back part (at the very top of the picture) is angled..up... right? Holy crap that's hard to explain.. but if that's what you mean then I don't think it would affect how it goes through E..

B is easy enough to eliminate, just look at the very top of the keyhole. When you stick the rounded rectangley thing through there you're left with about |---| that much space, when the top of the triangle is |--------| that big!!!! :p

2 is E, I dont think it's B because the distance between the oblique line on the top and the vertical line is too close (shorter) compare to the model.

the correct answer for the first one is B, first i thought it was E but now i see the hexagon is too thick in E, I see why B true, i don't know how can you consider the edge of the long end angled, to me it looks just a tiny bit angled may be cuz when looking at the original picture you're not looking directly at that long end like how choice B is, but its certainly not that much angled as in choice C.

correct answer for the 2nd is E, i also thought B was right first but now I see the top edge in B is too narrow, however I still don't see how E is correct i don't even know how you're looking at or rotating the original to get that shape in E, if i am looking at it the way you guys do then these are the faults i see in E
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/113zami/144.jpg

if the black and green lines correspond, then the black line in E looks too long for the black line in the original and the green line in the original is curved not 90degree angle like in E, which makes E clearly wrong, i must be looking at the wrong view but i can't see any other view of the original where it's possible to get E except this one...please help

Last edited:
1 one is definatly choice c

d has the hole lined up but the shape is off, A has the right shape but wrong hole position.

the image in question 1 is definatly angled, just took me a few bc i was determining if the angle was pointed the right way in C.

after that one, the web filter at work won't let me see anymore :)

the correct answer for the first one is B, first i thought it was E but now i see the hexagon is too thick in E, I see why B true, i don't know how can you consider the edge of the long end angled, to me it looks just a tiny bit angled may be cuz when looking at the original picture you're not looking directly at that long end like how choice B is, but its certainly not that much angled as in choice C.

correct answer for the 2nd is E, i also thought B was right first but now I see the top edge in B is too narrow, however I still don't see how E is correct i don't even know how you're looking at or rotating the original to get that shape in E, if i am looking at it the way you guys do then these are the faults i see in E
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/113zami/144.jpg

if the black and green lines correspond, then the black line in E looks too long for the black line in the original and the green line in the original is curved not 90degree angle like in E, which makes E clearly wrong, i must be looking at the wrong view but i can't see any other view of the original where it's possible to get E except this one...please help

I definitely think the first one is C and not B but if that's what the answer key says then I hate the PAT :p

For the second one...

14.jpg

Red goes with red, blue goes with blue

The yellow star points to the side which is the bottom (it sits on this side) and the green star is the side that goes into the keyhole. Yes, it's curved, but the end of it is the same shape as the keyhole

nice graphic for the second question, that's exactly the way i saw it (these things can get complicated to describe with words lol).

yeah initially i had a big paragraph typed out explaining it in words but then when I read it to myself I got confused so I decided it wasnt the best idea...yay photoshop haha

for the 2nd one, if u turn your head to the right while looking at it, E becomes obvious.
i don't get how the answer to Question 1 is b, the end definitely looks angled.

nice drawing sama951

Members don't see this ad :)
in 1: C is incorrect. Looking at the bottom left of the shape in choice c, we see a 45 degree angle. this angle does not exist on our block. the line on the block that would correspond to this 'angled line' that you are seeing is parallel to the right angle making the L shape of our block. The answer is undoubtedly choice B. The crescent in choice A is centered unlike our block. the hexagon in choice D does not match up to our block. the fat part of the keyhole in choice E (the top line of what would be a T shape) is too wide.

I will have to agree with 113zami and DrGreen this time on Q.1 (though Sama951 has been correct on almost all): that C is incorrect for sure; I may not be good at PAT or anything else (also pls forgive me on my slightly incorrect use of certain math terms below), but my top strength is in this specific area, and I know for 100% sure that the vertical long end CANNOT have a surface 45 degrees extended out on the back side (original pic) because that would make the original pic looked so much different (not just a little bit angled); It is (more likely) supposed to be totally perpendicular to the hexagon (just as B illustrates from an End View), and the original pic shows slight angle on the side edge is ONLY because of the angles as the edges of the hexagon -it's not a triangle, so the side edges cannot be 90 degrees straight, looking from the Front angled views! - Simply imagine two parallel hexagons connected by this perpendicular side.

As for the second one, it's definitely E – it's the Top View & rotated counter-clockwise about 90 degrees; Top views apparently wouldn't have the curve of the original front angled view. Sama951's illustration is very helpful too. The tricky part is that, the two biggest parts of the original shape is connected by one Surface, which is in the middle of the pic – and for those two shapes (one has a curved surface and all straight vertical surfaces; the other has no curve and an angled surface) to be able to be bonded by that shared surface (and not just an edge/line), the other part on the right side of the (original) shape (which has no curve) MUST also have vertical surfaces at front and back – so where does other the angled surface prove ?(the surface to the right of the original pic)? – that, most likely, other than the curved surface on the left (obviously), the ONLY other surface that is Neither parallel to our horizontal surface Nor perpendicular to it, would be THIS angled one (only one surface)! - The backside surface of the original shape is also totally vertical, with only the right edge/line angled (but still vertical to the horizontal surface).

Man!! these questions are awfully hard and apparently tricky enough for lots of us to get wrong-in a-hurry (like I did in the first 5+ minutes). I would take me too long to figure out the correct answer in the real test, im afraid!!!

For the second question..does the curve part of the figure not matter in keyholes?? I see how it all fits except why did the curve disappear?

first one it is E. the long end of that will most certainly be as wide as it is in that pic (for the person that disqualified it for that reason) because when looking at it from the top you have to take into consideration that its sides are sloped outward so you cant count its keyhole width based on just the surface area from the top. chose B seems plausible but i think E is more so, so thats my call.

just wow at these questions- especially the 2nd...! :D