Khan Academy Videos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeatHeadMed

Reaction score
Good evening all,

Just spent 3-4 solid hours watching and taking notes on Khan Academy videos and all I was able to make it through was Amino Acids & half of Enzymes. Using this quarantine time to do a "soft review" before I really ramp it up this summer (using the 100 Day MCAT Schedule). All I could think after I finished was that there has to be a more efficient way to study than this. Maybe I am just trying to take too many notes Has anyone tried just only using the KA documents and not watching the videos?? I'm just trying to make my studying as efficient & streamlined as possible.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how you learn best. I prefer videos over reading so I mainly did MCAT prep via Khan Academy videos at 1.5 speed. I didn't take many notes while watching but instead wrote/drew my own summaries after each section (not each video). If you want to read I'd suggest finding a textbook you like and using that instead (Kaplan, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
It depends on how you learn best. I prefer videos over reading so I mainly did MCAT prep via Khan Academy videos at 1.5 speed. I didn't take many notes while watching but instead wrote/drew my own summaries after each section (not each video). If you want to read I'd suggest finding a textbook you like and using that instead (Kaplan, etc).

+1. I didn’t take any notes while watching KA videos, but I made Anki cards for anything I didn’t know.

Reactions: 1 user
+1. I didn’t take any notes while watching KA videos, but I made Anki cards for anything I didn’t know.

Thank you guys for the responses! This was a big help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep two laptops open while watching the KA videos. One for the KA notes, and the other for watching the video at 1.5-2.0x speed, and I just follow along with the notes/videos. I then put the notes away after each section, and take the mini-quiz at the end like a test. On off days, I'll use MileDown's Anki deck to reinforce concepts. You can really move through the material quickly doing this method. Don't take excess notes.

A lot of times I would watch the videos while not taking any notes. Then I would read the chapter in my book and take notes. It's best when going through a first pass to let the material wash over you, really take that 30,000-foot view. Later on, really go through it with a fine-toothed comb.

After that, flashcards and practice questions should be king.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors