Khan Confusing Biochem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EA6DAC62-8040-4447-AA97-7EC13DAEAA75.png
Hey Guys,

The answer to this question is Leucine is the only amino acid that increases the phosphorylation levels of eIF-4EBP1 within the margin of error. I feel dumb what am I missing here? I see that Leucine and Isoleucine both increase levels over the control. Where is the margin of error being indicated? I guess I really need help with graphs.

@Next Step Tutor

@NextStepTutor_1

@aldol16

On another note will Next Step Bio practice strategy books help me get better with these types of questions? Can someone increase greatly with research reasoning questions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The black line and bar at top of each column will show margin of error, isoleucine runs 65-95, while leucine runs 77-83, so a much smaller margin. Comparing margins between mouse 1 and 2 show no overlap for leucine, but there is overlap on isoleucine.

Reactions: 1 user
I looked at it by comparing the bottom of the error bar for each amino acid compared to the top of the error bar for the control and only with leucine is there no overlap in both mouse 1 and mouse 2.

Reactions: 1 user
The answer to this question is Leucine is the only amino acid that increases the phosphorylation levels of eIF-4EBP1 within the margin of error. I feel dumb what am I missing here? I see that Leucine and Isoleucine both increase levels over the control. Where is the margin of error being indicated? I guess I really need help with graphs.

The margin of error are the error bars extending above and below each measurement. If I converted the graph to words, it would be something like this for mouse 1:

mean [95% confidence interval]

control: 50 [45, 55]
leucine: 70 [65, 75]
isoleucine: 60 [50, 70]

As you can see, isoleucine's interval (50 to 70) overlaps with the control's interval (45 to 55). Same for mouse 2.