KHE's BIO Resurrected

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianaOD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain in the butt (and this has nothing to do with KHE), but I hate it when threads get closed. Haven't been around in a couple of days and I don't even get to lay the smack down on the arrogant medical STUDENT.

For one I can't believe the OK surgery thread hasn't been closed let alone allowed to be a stickey.

I'd like to know what he says my "stand" on the issues are:

Here they are:

ODs are the doctors of functional vision. No one has more training in the entire visual process than a doctor of optometry.

IMHO going to Med school before becoming an eye surgeon is extremely inefficient. You should go to OD school then do a residency. (Similar to Dentistry sub-spec and podiatry) There is a reason OMD residents can't bill eye procedures to most insurances.

As it stands now in the current system, ODs should be allowed to do mild external scalpel and injection procedures without extra years of training.

1 year of extra residency/fellowship should allow certain ODs to do medical laser (YAG, SLT, PRP, Focal) and intra-ocular injections (both of which I have no interest in).

3 years of extra residency for intra-ocular surgery. (cataract and cornea (though there is plenty of lasik out there with OMDs begging to get patients with massive amounts of advertising))

I do believe that there already are too many ODs and plenty of OMDs in the market.

My idea of primary care optometry includes: Refractive and binocular diagnosis and treatment. Anterior segment disease. Medical Glaucoma, diabetic and ARMD management up until surgery is required. Foreign bodies, punctal plugs. Chalazion injections and other minor pocedures (in some states). Working with PCPs and other MDs, and ordering the proper labs and imaging when appropriate.

Okay, I'll await the closing of this thread!

I have great respect from OMDs in general. Just can't handle some of them who just pass on grudges from the old timer OMD profs.

Members don't see this ad.

Great, now do you want a cookie?

ODs are the doctors of functional vision. No one has more training in the entire visual process than a doctor of optometry.

Agreed, I'm not sure anyone could successfully argue otherwise.

IMHO going to Med school before becoming an eye surgeon is extremely inefficient. You should go to OD school then do a residency. (Similar to Dentistry sub-spec and podiatry) There is a reason OMD residents can't bill eye procedures to most insurances.

See I'm not sure about this one. I've heard so many different things about residents billing that I don't know what to think. I've heard they can't bill and this is why each hospital gets $100,000/resident. On the other side, I've heard to they can bill so long as the attending comes in to see the patient, even if very briefly. If the first is true, then ophtho residents are no different than anyone else. If the 2nd is true, I question if and why they are different from everyone else.

As far as MD to OMD goes, I think there is some value there. It is my understanding that we graduate with a decent knowledge of how the OR works (surgery rotation), how the hospital in general works (every rotation), and have a good working relationship with other doctors. These are things OD school could easily do, but as of now you don't. It has also been my observation, granted with a limited sample size, that the MDs here see much sicker patients than the ODs tend to. Now grated a huge part of that is the MD-MD referral system that's already in place but a part of me thinks that, even if they're forgotten some of the specific details, MDs with the greater knowledge of systemic path/pharm are better equipped to handle the really really sick patients. This paragraph is just my assumption based upon my less than total knowledge of our education compared to yours.

As it stands now in the current system, ODs should be allowed to do mild external scalpel and injection procedures without extra years of training.

Here's the trick with this: hardly anyone in medicine knows much about OD school. Heck, I know very little and I've been around optometry my whole life. What kind of training do y'all receive in external scalpel work and injections? Is this uniform among all OD schools? I, for one, certainly think y'all are capable IF you've been trained to do it.

I have great respect from OMDs in general. Just can't handle some of them who just pass on grudges from the old timer OMD profs.

I agree, this is a significant problem. However, I think its slowly going away. The most anti-OD group in my area took on a new associate not too long ago. He's not pro-OD but I think that's mainly to keep from pissing off the other partners. Once some of them retire I hope to see a change here. This analogy is horrible, but think civil rights. Each generation, at least to my eyes, gets less biased. Just takes time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to be a pain in the butt (and this has nothing to do with KHE), but I hate it when threads get closed. Haven't been around in a couple of days and I don't even get to lay the smack down on the arrogant medical STUDENT.

Scott,

He may be an arrogant medical student, but I hardly think that you, someone who is less than a year out of a vision therapy residency is any more qualified to pass judegment on whether or not ODs should be doing surgery and if so, what procedures they should be doing.

Again....as I have said on other threads time and time again, no profession has any idea what the other professions are like unless you have gone through the training and actually practiced both. No medical student knows anything about the competitiveness of optometry school admissions, the content of optometric training, or what ODs do on a day to day basis and has absolutly no frame of reference to make any judgement whatsoever on the issue of optometric surgery or not. Yet at the same time, no optometrist knows anything about medical school admissions, ophthalmology residency admissions, medical practice, etc. etc. unless they have gone through both programs. That pretty much excludes 99.99% of us.

Please spare us the story about how you graduated from the top of your pre med class and chose optometry. Please spare us the stories about how many relatives and friends you have who are ophthalmologists, primary care docs, dentists, podiatrists, chiropractiors, pharmacists, lawn doctors and tree surgeons. Because it makes absolutely no difference....

I say again....hopefully for the final time....but I doubt it.....

NOT A SINGLE SOLITARY ONE OF YOU OUT THERE, INCLUDING MYSELF HAS ANY IDEA HOW INTENSIVE OR DIFFICULT THE TRAINING IS, HOW BROAD THE KNOWLEDGE BASE IS, HOW COMPETITIVE THE ADMISSIONS PROCESS IS, OR HOW MUCH MONEY IS MADE BY ANY OTHER PROFESSION OUT THERE OTHER THAN YOUR OWN UNLESS YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH BOTH PROGRAMS AND PRACTICED/WORKED IN EACH OF THOSE PROFESSIONS. THAT EXCLUDES 99.99% OF EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM AND IT DOES NOT MAKE A SINGLE SOLITARY LICK OF DIFFERENCE HOW MANY FRIENDS YOU HAVE OR RELATIVES YOU HAVE WHO ARE ODS/MDS/DDSS/PODIATRISTS/PHARMACISTS BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH SO FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS H CHRIST CAN YOU ALL JUST SHUT UP WITH YOUR LIMP PLAYGROUND CHEST THUMPING ABOUT HOW SMART YOU ALL ARE, OR HOW MUCH MONEY YOU ALL MAKE BECAUSE THE FACT IS THAT NO ONE GIVES A FIDDLER'S FART!!!!!

Scott,

He may be an arrogant medical student, but I hardly think that you, someone who is less than a year out of a vision therapy residency is any more qualified to pass judegment on whether or not ODs should be doing surgery and if so, what procedures they should be doing.

Again....as I have said on other threads time and time again, no profession has any idea what the other professions are like unless you have gone through the training and actually practiced both. No medical student knows anything about the competitiveness of optometry school admissions, the content of optometric training, or what ODs do on a day to day basis and has absolutly no frame of reference to make any judgement whatsoever on the issue of optometric surgery or not. Yet at the same time, no optometrist knows anything about medical school admissions, ophthalmology residency admissions, medical practice, etc. etc. unless they have gone through both programs. That pretty much excludes 99.99% of us.

Please spare us the story about how you graduated from the top of your pre med class and chose optometry. Please spare us the stories about how many relatives and friends you have who are ophthalmologists, primary care docs, dentists, podiatrists, chiropractiors, pharmacists, lawn doctors and tree surgeons. Because it makes absolutely no difference....

I say again....hopefully for the final time....but I doubt it.....

NOT A SINGLE SOLITARY ONE OF YOU OUT THERE, INCLUDING MYSELF HAS ANY IDEA HOW INTENSIVE OR DIFFICULT THE TRAINING IS, HOW BROAD THE KNOWLEDGE BASE IS, HOW COMPETITIVE THE ADMISSIONS PROCESS IS, OR HOW MUCH MONEY IS MADE BY ANY OTHER PROFESSION OUT THERE OTHER THAN YOUR OWN UNLESS YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH BOTH PROGRAMS AND PRACTICED/WORKED IN EACH OF THOSE PROFESSIONS. THAT EXCLUDES 99.99% OF EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM AND IT DOES NOT MAKE A SINGLE SOLITARY LICK OF DIFFERENCE HOW MANY FRIENDS YOU HAVE OR RELATIVES YOU HAVE WHO ARE ODS/MDS/DDSS/PODIATRISTS/PHARMACISTS BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH SO FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS H CHRIST CAN YOU ALL JUST SHUT UP WITH YOUR LIMP PLAYGROUND CHEST THUMPING ABOUT HOW SMART YOU ALL ARE, OR HOW MUCH MONEY YOU ALL MAKE BECAUSE THE FACT IS THAT NO ONE GIVES A FIDDLER'S FART!!!!!

It was Pediatric/BV and included some time in the OR ;).

When arrogant students stop crashing my threads and "closing" them, I'll lay off!

and I think you do get some perspective of the OMD side of things when you spend time with the residents, have some of them shadow you, and see them do the procedures.

I'm sorry KHE if your hands are too shaky to hold a gonio lens in place for an SLT:D

Also, I may go off on the sticky thread against ODs on the OMD forum to get it closed.

That lights the fire every time I see it.

It was Pediatric/BV and included some time in the OR ;).

When arrogant students stop crashing my threads and "closing" them, I'll lay off!

and I think you do get some perspective of the OMD side of things when you spend time with the residents, have some of them shadow you, and see them do the procedures.

I'm sorry KHE if your hands are too shaky to hold a gonio lens in place for an SLT:D
While I agree with Ken on most of what he has said, I think maybe I feel like the 0.01% when it comes to OMD residency training. At Bascom Palmer where I did my residency, we trained side by side with the OMD residents. That is to say that we were in the same clinics that they were, attended the same grand rounds and even fluoroscein conference with them. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that OD's are NOT prepared to perform intra-ocular surgery based on our current educational programs. We just do not have the necessary knowledge base. I don't mean we don't know how to diagnose or know the appropriate treatment, but there is much more to performing surgery than just understanding the disease. Unfortunately, the amount of extra training it would take to get us up to speed to perform these procedures would require at least the same amount of time as it currently takes to become an OMD (maybe a even a bit longer) with less knowledge of medicine. I don't see how that benefits anyone except OD's who want to perform surgery.

As for some of the anterior seg procedures, I believe OD's are, and have proven that they are qualified to perform laser treatments. I think OD's can handle some injections. For example, I have injected chalazions with kenalog when I was in OK. Regardless of what I think however, the OMD's will never stop fighting and I am sure in their minds they feel they are justified.

The bottom line is that while Scott has some interesting ideas about how OD's can move into surgery, the reality is that the current system works quite well. There would need to be a major overhaul of our educational programs to make it more efficient for OD's to simply complete a post grad program to become surgeons.

While I agree with Ken on most of what he has said, I think maybe I feel like the 0.01% when it comes to OMD residency training. At Bascom Palmer where I did my residency, we trained side by side with the OMD residents. That is to say that we were in the same clinics that they were, attended the same grand rounds and even fluoroscein conference with them. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that OD's are NOT prepared to perform intra-ocular surgery based on our current educational programs. We just do not have the necessary knowledge base. I don't mean we don't know how to diagnose or know the appropriate treatment, but there is much more to performing surgery than just understanding the disease. Unfortunately, the amount of extra training it would take to get us up to speed to perform these procedures would require at least the same amount of time as it currently takes to become an OMD (maybe a even a bit longer) with less knowledge of medicine. I don't see how that benefits anyone except OD's who want to perform surgery.

As for some of the anterior seg procedures, I believe OD's are, and have proven that they are qualified to perform laser treatments. I think OD's can handle some injections. For example, I have injected chalazions with kenalog when I was in OK. Regardless of what I think however, the OMD's will never stop fighting and I am sure in their minds they feel they are justified.

The bottom line is that while Scott has some interesting ideas about how OD's can move into surgery, the reality is that the current system works quite well. There would need to be a major overhaul of our educational programs to make it more efficient for OD's to simply complete a post grad program to become surgeons.

Arrogant med student here,

Dr. Chudner, you are very VERY wise. I would go out of my way to shake your hand if I saw you in person. Honestly. I wish more of your OD breatheren would see the world the way you do. Kudos to you.

I already got one smack on the wrist from the optometry forum Mod so I will refrain from replying to IndianaOD's IDIOTIC comments.

However, feel free to stop on over at the Eye PHYSICIAN and SURGEON's forum...:D

Arrogant med student here,

Dr. Chudner, you are very VERY wise. I would go out of my way to shake your hand if I saw you in person.

That's highly unlikely. I would be very surprised if any militant ophthalmologist or future ophthalmologist would have the guts to spout their rhetoric face to face. However, I guess I could be wrong. I'm in the Dallas area, and if you ever want to give it a shot, PM me and I'll meet you in person.

Those of us in the "field" are all too accustomed to the smiling, cordial, "Optometry friendly" OMD sucking up and culling for surgical referrals, only to stab us in the back at AAO meetings. You guys aren't fooling anyone. The more time passes, more and more of our ranks are learning to diagnose and treat ocular disease, triaging surgical cases to the appropriate surgeon only when necessary.

If I were an ophthalmology student, I'd make sure to specialize. General ophthalmology is a dying breed, and frankly, we're better at it than you are. I'm looking forward to building out my new Laser suite, and hiring one of your colleagues to come work for me. Finally, something you'll be useful for.

Have a nice day.:)

If I were an ophthalmology student, I'd make sure to specialize. General ophthalmology is a dying breed, and frankly, we're better at it than you are. I'm looking forward to building out my new Laser suite, and hiring one of your colleagues to come work for me. Finally, something you'll be useful for.

:lol:

That's highly unlikely. I would be very surprised if any militant ophthalmologist or future ophthalmologist would have the guts to spout their rhetoric face to face. However, I guess I could be wrong. I'm in the Dallas area, and if you ever want to give it a shot, PM me and I'll meet you in person.

Those of us in the "field" are all too accustomed to the smiling, cordial, "Optometry friendly" OMD sucking up and culling for surgical referrals, only to stab us in the back at AAO meetings. You guys aren't fooling anyone. The more time passes, more and more of our ranks are learning to diagnose and treat ocular disease, triaging surgical cases to the appropriate surgeon only when necessary.

General OMD is reduntant in this day and time. I want to refer to a surgeon who does a LOT of surgery, not one who dabbles in everything.

I don't give a crap about titles. If a DO has better outcomes than MDs, then that's where they are going.

If I were an ophthalmology student, I'd make sure to specialize. General ophthalmology is a dying breed, and frankly, we're better at it than you are.
Do some OMD's still come out as generalists now? That's crazy. I agree with you McD, there is very little use for a general OMD these days.

Glad you liked it. You seem like a nice enough young lady. When you get finished with your training, look me up and maybe I'll give you a job. Now run along and study hard, madam. You'll have to post an impressive curriculum vitae if you want a job in my outfit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some OMD's still come out as generalists now? That's crazy. I agree with you McD, there is very little use for a general OMD these days.

Yep, my boss who is an OMD owns her private practice, she does cataract surgeries but only 10-15 per month, her one-person (plus a tech--me) practice deals with more primary care stuff--full exams, CL fitting, glass Rx checking, GL, once in a while she refers macular or GL cases to the retina group in this area. I would say about 70-80% of our cases are like this, and since this is a cash business, we have to do a lot of extra stuff to keep our patient although sometimes in my humble opinion some of them are not worth keeping.

But I agree that there are less and less general OMD.

Yep, my boss who is an OMD owns her private practice, she does cataract surgeries but only 10-15 per month, her one-person (plus a tech--me) practice deals with more primary care stuff--full exams, CL fitting, glass Rx checking, GL, once in a while she refers macular or GL cases to the retina group in this area. I would say about 70-80% of our cases are like this, and since this is a cash business, we have to do a lot of extra stuff to keep our patient although sometimes in my humble opinion some of them are not worth keeping.

But I agree that there are less and less general OMD.

Other than the handful of cataract surgeries, how is this different than an ODs office?

Glad you liked it. You seem like a nice enough young lady. When you get finished with your training, look me up and maybe I'll give you a job. Now run along and study hard, madam. You'll have to post an impressive curriculum vitae if you want a job in my outfit.

Ultra-lame.

You and your little shack called the laser "suite" couldn't afford my salary, boss.

Stick to what you do best -- better one or better two?

Ultra-lame.

You and your little shack called the laser "suite" couldn't afford my salary, boss.

So I guess you don't want the job?:rolleyes:

Just as well, I recently realized you're just a DO from a lame school in Pennsylvania. Please don't waste my time by applying for the position. Perhaps a nice VA position. Look me up in Dallas. I'll show you where you can go in person.

Chao.

Ultra-lame.

I just looked up your bio, and it appears your in school for a D.O. degree. Here I thought you were going to be a real doctor with all your smack talk :cool:

So I guess you don't want the job?:rolleyes:

Just as well, I recently realized you're just a DO from a lame school in Pennsylvania. Please don't waste my time by applying for the position. Perhaps a nice VA position. Look me up in Dallas. I'll show you where you can go in person.

Chao.

Dumb.

I just looked up your bio, and it appears your in school for a D.O. degree. Here I thought you were going to be a real doctor with all your smack talk :cool:

And Dumber. You, of all people, should have never gotten into this discussion. Especially considering you go to school at NSU, an institution with an OSTEOPATHIC MEDICAL SCHOOL.

This thread has really gone into the dumps. Two med school rejects knocking on DO schools. Wow.

I will bid my fairwells on this thread and end with a favorite quote:

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

ummmm......no.

D.O.= Doctor of osteopathy

M.D.= Medical Doctor

No doubt, most osteopaths go that route because they weren't competitive enough to be accepted into an accredited medical school. Same could be said about many Optometrists.

I have known many D.O.s that were excellent physicians, and would not hesitate to send friends and family to their practice. That being said...MD=DO......? Go sell crazy someplace else.

Dumb.

And Dumber. You, of all people, should have never gotten into this discussion. Especially considering you go to school at NSU, an institution with an OSTEOPATHIC MEDICAL SCHOOL.

This thread has really gone into the dumps. Two med school rejects knocking on DO schools. Wow.

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Ahhh...too bad. I hope we can meet in person someday. Is Saib your proper name?

I think you missed my point.

Dumb.

Yes I'm well aware of the D.O. program here. Like most D.O. schools, its for M.D. rejects.

What do you say Saib? It looks like your commencement ceremony is June 1st 2008, at the Kimmel Center for Regional and Performing Art, Broad and Spruce Street. Ceremony begins at 9:00 AM.

My sister goes to Bryn Mawr, I can visit her and you and I can go hammer a few beers after graduation. I know you know where all the cool hangouts are, I hear you like to skip class alot.

Let me know.:)

Fonzie, why do you say that DO school is for MD rejects ? That's just unfair. You know, I could just say that OD school is for MD rejects....but that's not true at all.

ummmm......no.

D.O.= Doctor of osteopathy

M.D.= Medical Doctor

No doubt, most osteopaths go that route because they weren't competitive enough to be accepted into an accredited medical school. Same could be said about many Optometrists.

I have known many D.O.s that were excellent physicians, and would not hesitate to send friends and family to their practice. That being said...MD=DO......? Go sell crazy someplace else.

Ok maybe i didnt explain myself clearly when i said MD=DO

What I was trying to say is that both DO/MD can enter identical residencies and have almost identical salaries (assumption)

What's up with people perceiving MD's as "god-like" professionals ?
Everyone makes such a big deal about MD's...who really cares if you attended DO/MD school ? MD should be to DO as McDonalds is to Burger King.

The reason the original BIO thread was closed had nothing to do with quashing personal expression -- it was because it had degenerated into personal attacks and name-calling, as this one has.

Honestly, no one stands to gain any converts to his cause here, hasn't everyone learned that by now? Let's play nice.

Ultra-lame.

You do realize that commemts like this are pathetic. Makes as much sense as MDs slamming DOs saying they aren't real doctors.

Grow up.

BTW I'll put my clinical skills up against yours any time. Plus I actually know what binocular vision means there kiddo.

Ok maybe i didnt explain myself clearly when i said MD=DO

What I was trying to say is that both DO/MD can enter identical residencies and have almost identical salaries (assumption)

What's up with people perceiving MD's as "god-like" professionals ?
Everyone makes such a big deal about MD's...who really cares if you attended DO/MD school ? MD should be to DO as McDonalds is to Burger King.

Gochi, my apologies for slamming Doctors of Osteopathy. As I said in a prior post, I have the utmost respect for the profession. I have met many wonderful D.Os, and even see one as my PCP. My carpet bombing attack was meant to insult the butt nugget Saib only, but in the process I carpet bombed the entire wonderful profession of Osteopathy, for that please accept my sincerest apology. I certainly do NOT belive that M.D.s are Gods. I get to see on a daily basis they certainly are not.

If I may ask, I have always wondered....if the training process of D.O's and M.D.'s are the same, then why differentiate? Why not group them all together? Thanks.

A DO? That would explain it.

I couldn't figure out why this "med student" was so bitter against optometry - it's cause he isn't a real doctor himself.

Looks like he has some definite insecurity issues still running through his psyche. Gotta bash some ODs to make himself feel better.

It all makes sense now. Move on, move on.

He's not worth replying to. It's not like he's a real doctor anyways.

Alright so I lied. I'm back...

I'm damn proud of my education at PCOM and of being a DO. Hence why I have it as my signature on SDN and will wear my degree proudly on my white coat.

I've also matched into one of the MOST COMPETITIVE specialties in medicine. How did I do it? B/c I worked my butt off for it. Thats how. Top 10% of my class, top scores, top clinical grades, publications and international volunteer work abroad (and being damn good-looking)

And let's not lose perspective here. I could have entered ANY FIELD OF MEDICINE as a DO -- be it Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, General Surgery, Ob/Gyn, Derm, Rads, Rad Onc, Plastic surgery, etc, etc, etc. You know, kinda like a "real" doctor can.

So you phoropter-monkies are THE LAST GROUP to sit here and try to slam DO's. Ya got that?

See you at graduation.

Since I'll be having some VIPs as part of my entourage, hopefully you can get past the secret service, boss...;)

Anyways, lets focus on the original topic of discussion here. Why OD's shouldn't be allowed to perform surgery. How they're unhappy with their profession and their salary so they try to steal procedures from ophthalmologists...

I was in the military from 18-24 years of age. It's unlikely your "entourage" will be effective, padnuh.;)

I like to confront people like you in person to see how cocky you really are. We'll see.

Where are you going for Ophtho training Saib?

I could have entered ANY FIELD OF MEDICINE as a DO

Could you have entered any field of medicine as an MD?

You try really hard to make yourself sound impressive. Are you still dealing with your insecurities?

Could you have entered any field of medicine as an MD?

You try really hard to make yourself sound impressive. Are you still dealing with your insecurities?

Yes.

Not trying. I am impressive. Thanks though.

No. I got what I wanted in life. Med school, Ophtho and a hot gf.

You still playing video games on Saturday nights? A recent study shows that it improves manual dexterity. Something, FORTUNATELY, you'll never need as an OD.

Yes, she's great. Say hello to her for me. :love:

Why do some of the other OD's on here (Ben Chudner, KHE, etc) sound so much more intelligent and classy than you?

And using scare tactics like "I'm coming to your graduation" or "tell me where you're doing your residency" is beyond childish. Grow up man. Really.

:D:D:D:D

Hey man I just want to meet the great Saib in person. What's wrong with that?

BTW, you are, in all likelihood, absolutely the dumbest person in any profession I have ever seen. Really. I'm not classy......:D Coming from you that's a big insult.:laugh:

:D:D:D:D

Hey man I just want to meet the great Saib in person. What's wrong with that?

BTW, you are, in all likelihood, absolutely the dumbest person in any profession I have ever seen. Really. I'm not classy......:D Coming from you that's a big insult.:laugh:

Oh God...:rolleyes:

how old are y'all 12 ? seriously.. everyone has a big weenis and this thread is going away.. AGAIN! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.