Kids in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsprospect

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an MS4 applying to radiology this year. I was wondering how feasible it is to have children during a radiology residency? Anyone have any experience with that? I know there is a lot of studying involved when not at the hospital, so is it generally a bad idea to have kids before becoming an attending?
Basically what I'm asking is how much time do you have for your family in residency and afterwards?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't put off having a kid for residency. Life won't be any easier when you're an attending. You'll just be older and have wonkier sperm/eggs

Reactions: 1 users
Don't put off having a kid for residency. Life won't be any easier when you're an attending. You'll just be older and have wonkier sperm/eggs
Totally agree. I have two kids now and I went through Med School with them, I am an MS4 applying to rads. It will never be the right time. So I would not delay. Sure it is rough and difficult, particularly when you have no family around. So my wife and I struggle a lot, particularly when one of them gets sick, it is a nightmare at that point. We have to decide who stays home to care for them.
If you can, pick the program where you have family so that they can help you. This will make a difference you cannot imagine. But either way, I wouldn't delay. Work and professional success are important, but personal fulfillment even more so. It is hard to understand what it is to love your own child. Can't describe it, can't explain. But when that happens, then everything else becomes secondary. Even medecine...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Completely doable. If your training and career as well as ability to have a family are important to you then you can do it. I have seen many people manage the obstacles that come along with it.

Definitely doable in radiology. I see so many docs holding off. Just move on with your life. Sucks to be old and finally starting a family imo. Planning for the second one soon and yes my spouse works too. You will make it work, it isn't easy. But it isn't easy after residency either.

One of the many benefits of Radiology Residency is you don't have to put off life events for your job. ~1/3 of our Residents had children in Residency and didn't miss a beat.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do it! Enjoy your life in residency first! If you're like me, it's the first time you've made some money and you're nearly 30. Don't fall into that trap! ;)

There is literally nothing in life more enjoyable than having a child

Reactions: 3 users