Kim's game for anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armymutt25A

Cranky VSST OIC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever used a Kim's Game to learn anatomy? The idea came to me earlier today as a potential method.

Members don't see this ad.

No, we pretty much got in there (blind leading the blind), cut all the stuff we weren't supposed to, spun deeper and deeper into confusion then camped out in the lab studying other people's specimens in the couple days leading up to the test. Anatomy was glorious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't use it specifically, considering I had to go look it up to find out what Kim's game was, but I used this unintentionally. I had labeled and unlabeled copies of diagrams and pictures from lab. Looked at the labeled picture for one minute, then switched to the unlabeled copy and tried to label as many things as possible. Helped tremendously.

That being said, our labs were very similar to Libster's description.....cut what you weren't supposed to, cuss a little, then go online and download the slide pictures of the lab tech's cadaver that was actually dissected according to the directions.

I ended up doing something similar to that (if I understand it correctly). My friends and I would take turns pointing to every structure in order from proximal to distal and reciting every single one at once. Did that with bones, then muscles, then nerves, veins, arteries. It was good because the rest of us would do it in our heads as one person went. Origins and insertions were just filling in charts over and over and/or flashcards. Downfall to the naming things in order while pointing is that sometimes, you get to the point where you can't name them without going in the same order (esp the limb muscles below the stifle/elbow joints). Between the 4 of us, we usually had a couple of specimen that were dissected well for everything we needed.

But scheduling study dates for when we would go in and do that was really helpful in keeping me on top of studying on my own. I didn't want to be the one who didn't know anything walking in. But sometimes I was, and even then it was really helpful. I'd try to learn as the other 3 were reciting, and when it came to my turn, it really helped make it stick when I'd point and try to say it aloud. And if I didn't know, they would tell me what it was. Until I got all of them without forgetting/mistakes, they would be patient enough to make me do it over and over and over. We never left until all four of us felt like we had it down. Every time we went in to do that, I felt soooo accomplished, because we'd cover a good portion of the exam by doing that.

Had to look up Kim's game.. .found this on wikipedia in the military section:

The use of Kim's games in training military personnel is probably widespread but not well documented. The United States Marine Corps' Scout Sniper Instructor School in Quantico, Virginia, is one establishment that teaches the game as part of its curriculum. Another is Sniper training schools at Camp Lejune, Camp Pendleton and in Hawaii.[4] It is mentioned in a military glossary with the backronym "Keep In Memory".

So, armymutt, you a sniper? I might start being careful about what I say to you in the future!

Actually, my first experience with the Kim's Game came in a YMCA program called Indian Guides back in '80-'81. It has been a popular Boy Scout game since the inception of scouting and comes from the Kipling novel, Kim. Kipling was a contemporary of Powell's.