kind of late, what are my chances realistically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikeyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's a bit about my info:

cGPA: 3.50
sGPA: 3.37
graduated from a pretty competitive university ( at least i think so.. classes were damn hard)
Took the MCAT twice - first try this May and got a 23Q - 8 PS, 6VR, 9BS , then worked real hard for a month and bumped it up to a 30P - 9 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS

Major: Biology
Research for 2.5 years + 1 publication from my research as a co-author
120+ hours of volunteer work
biological sciences departmental honors + presented research at several symposiums
leadership programs for national health week (organized some events for a high school)
Shadowed a radiologist and critical care/anesthesiologist for 2 months one summer 40 hours a week, have 2 publications in a medical journal with me listed as an author for articles I wrote that was then edited by the doctors I shadowed
Traveled to Guatemala for a week as a volunteer mission
Things here and there with my uni, student organizations, nothing too amazing..

So I'm a bit late and my GPA and MCAT are both meh alright from what I've read, my question is... would the adcom look at my jump in MCAT score over a short period and find that to be a extra positive sign? I mean i took a big risk to retake the MCAT with such a short amount of time and even though it paid off I'm pretty late..
I'm applying very broadly to low - middle tier schools, just hoping some kind of miracle would happen. I'm a US citizen but no state of residence ( lived abroad until uni) , also not a URM.. I'm submitted my primary a week ago

How does my whole application look? Thanks for any input guys

Members don't see this ad.

If you killed it on your personal and activities description, then you might have a chance. The problem is that the AMCAS has been backed up for quite sometime. Maybe 6 weeks delay. But you'll never know. Hopefully, some of the schools you applied to don't have rolling admission which can increase your chances. Overall, good luck!

If you applied broadly, and make sure you put effort into secondaries I suspect you will feel some love.

You are late, but application is solid enough to get you some attention as long as LOR's & PS were good.

As for the MCAT, the jump so quick says the first score was an anomaly, so you should be judged on the 30 and just have the 23 written off as a bad day. Combined with some efforts on that obviously worked.

Members don't see this ad :)
So here's a bit about my info:

cGPA: 3.50
sGPA: 3.37
graduated from a pretty competitive university ( at least i think so.. classes were damn hard)
Took the MCAT twice - first try this May and got a 23Q - 8 PS, 6VR, 9BS , then worked real hard for a month and bumped it up to a 30P - 9 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS

Major: Biology
Research for 2.5 years + 1 publication from my research as a co-author
120+ hours of volunteer work
biological sciences departmental honors + presented research at several symposiums
leadership programs for national health week (organized some events for a high school)
Shadowed a radiologist and critical care/anesthesiologist for 2 months one summer 40 hours a week, have 2 publications in a medical journal with me listed as an author for articles I wrote that was then edited by the doctors I shadowed
Traveled to Guatemala for a week as a volunteer mission
Things here and there with my uni, student organizations, nothing too amazing..

So I'm a bit late and my GPA and MCAT are both meh alright from what I've read, my question is... would the adcom look at my jump in MCAT score over a short period and find that to be a extra positive sign? I mean i took a big risk to retake the MCAT with such a short amount of time and even though it paid off I'm pretty late..
I'm applying very broadly to low - middle tier schools, just hoping some kind of miracle would happen. I'm a US citizen but no state of residence ( lived abroad until uni) , also not a URM.. I'm submitted my primary a week ago

How does my whole application look?
Without a lenient state school to fall back on, considering your late application, low BCPM GPA, and "nothing too amazing" ECS, I'd say your odds are far below the 48% historical chance for All Applicants with your stats (which includes those in special population groups). The possibility of "miracles" aside, if you want a better likelihood of acceptance this cycle, I suggest adding some DO schools to improve your odds.

Does it change much that I have an upward trend? large improvements junior and senior year.. I did well in some advanced bio classes but not so well in my intro bio classes
I was hoping that my research and publications would give me a shot at at least a couple interviews..

Does it change much that I have an upward trend? large improvements junior and senior year.. I did well in some advanced bio classes but not so well in my intro bio classes
I was hoping that my research and publications would give me a shot at at least a couple interviews..
As a generalization, less-selective med schools, which you should be targeting primarily, are often more impressed with Experiences other than scholarly activities like research, such as clinical experience and strong nonmedical community service, as they may be mission-driven and not just stats-oriented. But, hopefully, some on your list will be excited about your apparent commitment to research, though I'd be more optimistic if this were earlier in the cycle.

Yes, a steep, consistent upward trend is a positive predictor, particularly at schools that weight freshman year lower or give more weight to the last two years (or the last 30 or so credits, like Wayne). A bunch of As in upper-level Bio and Biochem are similarly helpful.

okay understood. Thanks for the comment guys, I know I have an uphill battle right now but I'll try my best for the secondaries.

If I were you, I'd be very leery of applying this year. I applied around this time last year with a 3.7/37 (12/11/14/T) with several publications and only got a couple MD interviews and 1 DO interviews.

You definitely want your first foot forward to be your best foot. Otherwise, you'll spend the next year buffing your application up because adcoms expect re-applicants to have a stronger application than the previous year if you are applying to the same schools.

Is it too late to apply to DO?

Is it too late to apply to DO?

Nope, most DO schools have primary app deadlines in Jan, Feb, or March. Granted, applying THEN would be too late, but now is alright if you've an app that's competitive for DO