-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
kinda worried...2013-2014 application
Started by billsauce
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
hey guys i need some support cuz im stressed about school and junk. apps coming up this summer tell me where i stand, I plan to apply to USC, UCSD, UCSF, and Oregon State:
Oregon state gen sci. major w/pre-pharm option
pre-pharm gpa - 3.93 at the moment, will be 3.9-3.95 depending on how i do this quarter
pre-reqs left after this quarter:
-biochem
-anatomy/physiology
-physics III
-microbio lab
work - community pharmacy tech for 2 years
inpatient tech volunteer summer
2 hospital shadows
volunteer work at pediatics office
volunteer with boys and girls club
volunteer at school blood drives
Division 1 track and field
letters gonna be from 2 pharmacist, 1 doctor, 1 chem teacher
i live in so.cal so id like to move back hopefully i dont get discriminated against cuz i go to OSU, even though its the best science school in oregon
Unless you write your personal statement as poorly as you do your posts here, you should be just fine.
cuz you got good grades and experience and junk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol not the exact words I would have chosen, I agree with this. Your grades and experience are good enough to get accepted somewhere. Just don't f up the PCAT.Unless you write your personal statement as poorly as you do your posts here, you should be just fine.
cuz you got good grades and experience and junk
hey guys i need some support cuz im stressed about school and junk. apps coming up this summer tell me where i stand, I plan to apply to USC, UCSD, UCSF, and Oregon State:
Oregon state gen sci. major w/pre-pharm option
pre-pharm gpa - 3.93 at the moment, will be 3.9-3.95 depending on how i do this quarter
pre-reqs left after this quarter:
-biochem
-anatomy/physiology
-physics III
-microbio lab
work - community pharmacy tech for 2 years
inpatient tech volunteer summer
2 hospital shadows
volunteer work at pediatics office
volunteer with boys and girls club
volunteer at school blood drives
Division 1 track and field
letters gonna be from 2 pharmacist, 1 doctor, 1 chem teacher
i live in so.cal so id like to move back hopefully i dont get discriminated against cuz i go to OSU, even though its the best science school in oregon
I don't see anything emphasizing leadership. Maybe start a club, run for an officer position at a club, student senate, etc, etc. Your volunteering is good, but being a pharmacist requires leadership and that is a glaringly absent from your CV. Personal statement will be a big factor, so I suggest you start working on that ASAP. The more effort you put into it the better. Start doing some mock interviews if you feel that you could use the help in that area. Doing well on the PCAT (80+) will definitely help as well, but don't let studying for that get in the way of strengthening the aforementioned aspects of your CV.
Mind me asking, what kind of
Last edited:
I don't see anything emphasizing leadership. Maybe start a club, run for an officer position at a club, student senate, etc, etc. Your volunteering is good, but being a pharmacist requires leadership and that is a glaringly absent from your CV. Personal statement will be a big factor, so I suggest you start working on that ASAP. The more effort you put into it the better. Start doing some mock interviews if you feel that you could use the help in that area. Doing well on the PCAT (80+) will definitely help as well, but don't let studying for that get in the way of strengthening the aforementioned aspects of your CV.
how can i put leadership on it
I think all your volunteer work already shows leadership. Your stats are impressive. I wouldn't worry.
I think all your volunteer work already shows leadership. Your stats are impressive. I wouldn't worry.
Volunteering does not equal leadership. Not even close.
Let's break out the dictionary:
vol·un·teer
noun
1. a person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.
2. a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.
lead·er
noun
1. a person or thing that leads.
2. a guiding or directing head, as of an army, movement, or political group.
Of course there can be overlap but they aren't the same thing. I wouldn't say be fearful but the OP asked for thoughts on where he stood. To me that was the only glaringly obvious aspect missing from his CV. billsauce, have you done anything in undergrad where you were a leader of something? President or officer in a club or maybe took initiative to start a club or something to that effect? Not trying to scare you, merely trying to help you look as strong as possible for the ad com. People have gotten in with less volunteering, worse stats, and no leadership activities.. but for me it wasn't worth risking not having a well rounded application.
I think all your volunteer work already shows leadership. Your stats are impressive. I wouldn't
Last edited:
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
most of my volunteering stuff with a group, i had to initiate where we were gonna volunteer and what was gonna happen. but i never had a special title
You're applying through PharmCAS right or do the schools you are applying to not use that system? If you are using it, there is a "Brief description" area for each EC, I guess I would emphasize your leadership role in those organizations. If you have done so in your other application that is definitely a step in the right direction.
im applying through pharmcas. i guess ill type in the stuff in pharmcas. but when talking about my stats, do you think i can land a spot at a california school?You're applying through PharmCAS right or do the schools you are applying to not use that system? If you are using it, there is a "Brief description" area for each EC, I guess I would emphasize your leadership role in those organizations. If you have done so in your other application that is definitely a step in the right direction.
Hello,
I hope I can get some information on a dilema that I'm facing. I plan on taking the PCAT in July 2013
and applying to the 2014 cycle hopefully pending everything works out. What concerns me is that at the time I apply to schools I will only have taken Gen chm 1 and 2 and Bio 1. Thats all for the science classes. This im sure will affect my pharmcas calculated science gpa. Can this possibly keep me from getting in? Please help, Im really stressing out over this.
Thank you in advance to all who reply.
PharmD Hopeful
I hope I can get some information on a dilema that I'm facing. I plan on taking the PCAT in July 2013
and applying to the 2014 cycle hopefully pending everything works out. What concerns me is that at the time I apply to schools I will only have taken Gen chm 1 and 2 and Bio 1. Thats all for the science classes. This im sure will affect my pharmcas calculated science gpa. Can this possibly keep me from getting in? Please help, Im really stressing out over this.
Thank you in advance to all who reply.
PharmD Hopeful
Hello,
I hope I can get some information on a dilema that I'm facing. I plan on taking the PCAT in July 2013
and applying to the 2014 cycle hopefully pending everything works out. What concerns me is that at the time I apply to schools I will only have taken Gen chm 1 and 2 and Bio 1. Thats all for the science classes. This im sure will affect my pharmcas calculated science gpa. Can this possibly keep me from getting in? Please help, Im really stressing out over this.
Thank you in advance to all who reply.
PharmD Hopeful
Well it all depends on what grades do you have in those classes. If you have A's it will not affect your GPA (it might actually help it). If your PCAT score, GPA, extracurriculars, experience, etc. are competitive enough you will get accepted; if a particular school decides that your stuff is not enough just yet, they might place your application on hold to see your Fall grades, and then make a decision (I heard that happened to some people). Regardless... you can't really do anything about that right now. Just take your classes when you can, and work on other aspects of your application (experience, extracurriculars etc). Apply, and see what happens.
I'm planning to submit my application on August, but I'm very worried 🙁. I only took my classes at comunity college, and have no degree.
My commulative GPA: 3.818
My science GPA: >3.818
Volunteer at pharmacy store for one year
member of STEM club in my school
I'm in CA, but I'm planning to apply to ot of state schools only, cuz I know my chance for CA school is zero 😳. Please give me some advices 🙁(( (easy schools and how many school should i apply) Any comments will be much appreciated

My commulative GPA: 3.818
My science GPA: >3.818
Volunteer at pharmacy store for one year
member of STEM club in my school
I'm in CA, but I'm planning to apply to ot of state schools only, cuz I know my chance for CA school is zero 😳. Please give me some advices 🙁(( (easy schools and how many school should i apply) Any comments will be much appreciated

Is it a good idea to take the PCAT in October 28th? The two main schools I want to get into do not require it (LECOM, Touro NY). Any ideas if I should take it in September?
I'm planning to submit my application on August, but I'm very worried 🙁. I only took my classes at comunity college, and have no degree.
My commulative GPA: 3.818
My science GPA: >3.818
Volunteer at pharmacy store for one year
member of STEM club in my school
I'm in CA, but I'm planning to apply to ot of state schools only, cuz I know my chance for CA school is zero 😳. Please give me some advices 🙁(( (easy schools and how many school should i apply) Any comments will be much appreciated
![]()
Why do you say your chance for CA school is zero? Your stats are pretty good, only thing you are missing is your degree but not all schools require it. Unless you really want to get out of CA, I would try applying to couple CA schools. I think the average number of schools applied to is about six- but go for as many as you feel comfortable without going crazy (I applied to 12, and thought it was a bit too many)
Good luck!
Thanks, but I only took my classes at community college, and another horrible thing just happened, I got 27% on my Pcat...I'm just losing a lot of hope 🙁. If I retake it, will school look at my sept pcat too? Thanks a lot for your reply
Have a wonderful day!
Have a wonderful day!
I had a question about pharm application for this cycle that I hope someone will answer! If I did 2 years of research at my university would I put that under extracurricular or work experience?? I'm thinking work experience, but I didn't get paid and got units for it.
I had a question about pharm application for this cycle that I hope someone will answer! If I did 2 years of research at my university would I put that under extracurricular or work experience?? I'm thinking work experience, but I didn't get paid and got units for it.
I have a similar situation. The pharmacy admission counselor at my school said it didn't really matter. Work experience usually means paid, but she said schools don't really care, as long as it's there somewhere.
thanks!I have a similar situation. The pharmacy admission counselor at my school said it didn't really matter. Work experience usually means paid, but she said schools don't really care, as long as it's there somewhere.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K