kinetically or thermodynamically controlled rxns--rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xtian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the hard and fast rules we should know for the kinetically and thermodynamically controlled rxns in ochem when we've got conjugated structures and we're adding halogens? I'm looking at destroyer #'s 56 &66 and trying to make sense of it...I have no recollection. If I had to guess I'd say kinetic control adds to more stable structures than thermodynamic which adds faster and is prob more influenced by sterics?

Xtian

Members don't see this ad.

What are the hard and fast rules we should know for the kinetically and thermodynamically controlled rxns in ochem when we've got conjugated structures and we're adding halogens? I'm looking at destroyer #'s 56 &66 and trying to make sense of it...I have no recollection. If I had to guess I'd say kinetic control adds to more stable structures than thermodynamic which adds faster and is prob more influenced by sterics?

Xtian

Nothing to really imput just know the destroyer points
Kinetic is low temp 1,2-addition
Thermodynamical is high temp and is 1,4 addition

yeah, but we got to know the reason, because depending on structure it won't always work out that way ie

kinetic Left thermo right
butadiene_mech.gif

i guess we better hope for a diene then we can use the 1,2 for kinetic, and 1,4 for thermo rule. otherwise...