kmc mbbs 5.5 year program or MD/MBBS 6 year program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shobhit2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

yesterday I received my acceptance letter for the KMC-AUA twinning program and when I called them up, they said they would also accept me for the 5.5 year MBBS program (in which mostly students from India do) or the 6 year MBBS/MD program (which is for NRI students--mostly from the US and Canada). For the 6 year program, I will be doing my clinicals in America as well as 1 year prep for USMLE in miami. In fact, the program is designed for USMLE prep; however, I will not be able to practice in India without taking the rigorous exams (not sure exactly what they are called), and the 5.5 year program ensures that you can practice in India, but the curriculum is not really designed for USMLE.

My question is, which is a better option? Is it better to be a practicing physician (lifestyle wise) than a practicing physician in America? Also, is it worth the risk of doing the 5.5 year program just so I can practice in both India and America, although the teaching is not really USMLE based (also, I don't think they let you do clinicals in America in the 5.5 year program either)

Oh btw, for the 5.5 year program, I have the option of going to the KMC Mangalore campus instead of that of Manipal, and I'd rather go to a big city like Mangalore; although of course, this isn't a very important factor in my decision :p

Members don't see this ad.

hi
I am an NRI and did med school in kmc manipal. I finished the program in 5.5 years... all in manipal india. I am starting residency in IM in the USA this year and many of my classmates started last year in surgery, IM, family practice. No, kmc manipal does not prepare you for usmle examinations and do not give you practice on test taking strategies or skills. However, kmc manipal did an excellent job in teaching us the medical knowledge in theory and a phenomenal job in teaching us clinical skills. yeah, their way of teaching is very different from the usa, and that takes a lot of getting used to. But believe me, you will learn what you need to know. I took the usmle exam and did really well and so did all of my classmates who took the exams. We took kaplan courses to help guide us on how to study for the usmle s and we were fine.
And as for living in manip vs manglore. True manglore is a bigger city and more to do. However, if you are a NRI, then manipal would be a better place because you will have more people from you back ground, a better understanding and the professors in manipal are also used to NRIs . I just think it will be easier to live in manipal, it would be easier to cope when you are feeling homesick and having a culture shock.
I dont know anything about the twinnig program. It is very knew. However, once your have done your residency in america, I dont see any reason for you not to be able to practice in the usa and India.
good luck

oh, if you go to kmc manipal, you can do your clinical rotations in the usa. some of my classmates did that. however that can get expensive and you dont get all of the rotations in one hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you do the USA rotations even if you're in the 5.5 year MBBS program?

oh, if you go to kmc manipal, you can do your clinical rotations in the usa. some of my classmates did that. however that can get expensive and you dont get all of the rotations in one hospital.

actually i have decided to apply to both, and i'll make a decision later i guess. the only thing that concerns me about the aua program is that it's fairly new and the MD degree is not currently recognized anywhere besides the US (assuming you pass the USMLE).

and so far i've heard good things about the MBBS program....

There are two programs in Manipal:

One is the regular MBBS program

5.5 + 1 yr (internship) MBBS program [this is the program which is considered to be one of the best in India and is very competitive entry for local population]

the other is:

KMC/AUA (MD or MBBS program)

which is

(2yrs premed) + 4yrs Med (2yrs in Manipal or Anitugua & 2yrs clinics in USA).

However, i have confirmed this from KMC as well as Medical Council of India. The 5.5 yr (+ 1yr internship) is recognized by Medical Council of India.The other program KMC/AUA is not recognized by the Medical Council. It is chartered in Antigua. It is recogznied by their Antigua govt. Ofcourse for coming to USA, it really doenst make difference what you did as both can get you residency. But if you plan to do MD or MS or even practice in india. You need to be a graduate of Medical Council of India apporved program.

kmc manipal med program is 4.5 years in med school plus 1 year of internship (which basically means rotations in medicine, surgery, obg, pediatrics, community medicine, and electives). That is a total of 5.5 years. The one year of internship can be done all in the USA hospitals if you wish and must be later approved at kmc manipal which is done with no problem.

lol if you are smart, you would go to an american medical school. No offense folks the whole 5.5 year thing in india is a big deception. No one finishes their medical school in india on time, even if they do it always conflicts with american match periods etc; In addition trying to pass USMLE'S and realizing that you guyies will always be considered to be the last takers of good residency spots...you think it's all worth it?

Your priorities should be;

1. American Medical School
2. Caribbean
3. Any foreingn school

Go enjoy college man, you guyies are trying to choose professions that demand a great amount of sacrifice, you are just not ready for that right out of high school. Iam sure there are always exceptions but doesnt necessarily mean it will be you, hey dont let your parents or family dictate how your future should be shaped? A true professional does his homework and takes initiative for a plan that inculcates hardwork and dedication. Go to college, get your foundation strong then think about medical school.You saving 2 years on your studying will only hurt you realizing that your exposure to the real world will come faster...end of the day you have a good 40-50 years of service in the field of medicine. So if you go to india you might get a crack at 52 years...who cares? Grow up and go to college!

I agree. I wish I had complete college in the USA.. i know i missed out on a lot! And looking back, i only saved one year. It took me 7 years to do 5.5 years med school in India and then come back here to take the exams and apply for residency since kmc manipal was not synchronized with the US med education. It's best to stay in the USA.

I've already graduated from college w/ a BS in biology and have just gained admission to KMC Manipal which is affiliated w/ AUA medical school. I am interested in going but I first have a few questions. I am worried about my chances of gaining recidency in the future in the US. I was born in India but am a US citizen. I have heard that when US citizens travel outside the US for medical school it is harder for them to get into residency programs in the US. I have also heard that US residency programs look down on students who are US citizens but went to foreign medical schools? I was wondering if this is true? In addition, I wanted to know what percentage of your graduates pass the USMLE step 1 and step 2 the first time? I also wanted to know what percentage of your graduates got into a residency program right after they graduated? I am planning on becoming a pediatrician but I want to make sure that by going to manipal I will not hurt my chances of going to a US residency program. Thanks for the help.:confused:

stay in the us. what if you like ortho or radiology? you have almost 0% chance of getting it as an img. do you want to be stuck doing a family med residency in a one horse town or a inner city? stop thinking about saving 1 year or 2 years. it is drop in the bucket when faced with doing something you dont like.

you are barely old enough to know you want to be a doctor. how do you know you dont want to be a radiologist? essentially as an img you are stuck with family, internal medicine or psychiatry.

i lucked out as i like psychiaty.

also you will be missing out on college life. the only good thing about mangalore is its proximity to goa (i like the rave culture out there. it is paradise!) and the fish curry. the raves and the fish curry or no reason to give up on ENT or neuro surgery.

please print this post out and show your parents or whoever else is planted this most illogical seed in your head. stay here. it is counterintuitive to go back to a place your folks left for good reason.

also no use talking to ur classmates in india. go to the local kaplan and ask the imgs there if it is not better to go to a us med school or atleast have a shot at it. if you dont get in the us, then u have the back up of going to a 4 year carribean or european med school. if u dont match into a residency you dont have a fall back option other than "paper or plastic."

also if u go to the us med school u will end up with a higher paying speciality. this will more than compensate the extra 2 years.

thus if think in terms of having fun and a good life and your career they both tell u to stay in the us. case close.

i was on the kasturba med school website and couldn't find the admissions requirements for the program. What GPA/MCAT scores do they look at? Please help! I'm very stressed about this. :eek:
Also, which is a better idea, doing the twinning program or taking a year to do masters and then apply to med schools in america?

i was on the kasturba med school website and couldn't find the admissions requirements for the program. What GPA/MCAT scores do they look at?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Manipal even has admission requirements:eek: Those idiots just give admission based on money. Ha ha ah GPA and MCAT are very high words for those manipal *****s. Any loser who has money in his pocket can join manipal and end up graduating as a Doctor. I have seen kids gettin in manipal who were kicked out of community colleges here for low grades and those idiots there are now studying to bcom doctors:eek: . it disgusts me.

just ask ur pappa to keep a big fat check and you are all set.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have completed a bachelors degree here why oh why oh why in the world would you go to India? Not only will you be at a huge disadvantage when applying to US residencies, but you are giving up any chance of getting certain very competitive specialties...and for what? None of your classmates will have a bachelors degree so you will have done 4 years of extra school. Also, you have to worry if they decrease the number of IMG funded residency slots in the next few years...India is a bad choice for medical school for someone just out of high school, out of the university its just insane!

Note: I'm assuming you meant a Bachelor degree from an american university...? If you meant from India thats not = to what is known as a bachelor degree in the US, its what we call grades 11&12.

i can understand why i went to india as i was tragically uninformed and misinformed. i am totally clueless as to why these guys on the forum who are informed still talk of going to india. perhaps someone can enlighten me.

lol...admission requirements. u dont even need a pulse. a corpse with money can get into any of these schools. they would get a free cadaver for their dissection hall.

Hi There,

I am an NRI studying in KMC Manipal, final year, after which i need to do the compulsory internship. What is the scope of doing the internship in USA and also what are the chances of getting in? Do they recognize the indian internship there or rather, do they understand it ?
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out on this coz i don't want to spend another year in India with the internship.

Thanks!

does anyone know of any opportunities to do bds in india and then do last year in us?

hi
I am an NRI and did med school in kmc manipal. I finished the program in 5.5 years... all in manipal india. I am starting residency in IM in the USA this year and many of my classmates started last year in surgery, IM, family practice. No, kmc manipal does not prepare you for usmle examinations and do not give you practice on test taking strategies or skills. However, kmc manipal did an excellent job in teaching us the medical knowledge in theory and a phenomenal job in teaching us clinical skills. yeah, their way of teaching is very different from the usa, and that takes a lot of getting used to. But believe me, you will learn what you need to know. I took the usmle exam and did really well and so did all of my classmates who took the exams. We took kaplan courses to help guide us on how to study for the usmle s and we were fine.
And as for living in manip vs manglore. True manglore is a bigger city and more to do. However, if you are a NRI, then manipal would be a better place because you will have more people from you back ground, a better understanding and the professors in manipal are also used to NRIs . I just think it will be easier to live in manipal, it would be easier to cope when you are feeling homesick and having a culture shock.
I dont know anything about the twinnig program. It is very knew. However, once your have done your residency in america, I dont see any reason for you not to be able to practice in the usa and India.
good luck

Hey,

Did you take Kaplan courses in India? If so, were? When is the right time to sign up for them and start preparation? Third year? Internship?
(The Kaplan courses in Manipal have recently been discontinued.)

I am an NRI in Manipal too. However I am not from the united states but from the middle east. I am interested in pursuing my residency in the united states. Will the fact that I'm not a U.S citizen adversely affect my chances of getting into residency there?

Hi,
I'm a citizen of u.s.a. I'm doing my 12th as a foreign student in Tamilnadu, India.
I was wondering whether foreign students take the Manipal medical entrance examination with the other students who apply under the general category or is it a different procedure?

hey cud sumone tell me wat da entrance grades shud be. ive dun A levels. i askd a woman at da manipal uni admissions nd she said all As which i find very hard to blieve.:rolleyes:

hey cud sumone tell me wat da entrance grades shud be. ive dun A levels. i askd a woman at da manipal uni admissions nd she said all As which i find very hard to blieve.:rolleyes:

i too have done a levels, where in uk are u

hi rasika,
I think it's up to u ,if u wanna pay indian fees u have to take the entrance exam. if u wanna pay the Nri fee, u are exempted . But, u can 't apply under both category. Check manipal website..

hi,

In the medical council of india website it says " Council has recommended withdrawal of recognition of the degree and stoppage of admissions to Cent. Govt." for all of Manipal university (Kasturiba) so I am wondering whether anybody knows about the situation and has been resolved.

Thanks for the info canbrat.
I've got 2 applications for manipal. Should I wait till I get my final results to send in the application or should I send it in now with predicted results?:confused:

U CANNOT apply under both category U MUST choose one. The 6 yrs program has some accredation problem in CAL,Tex and few states

Last edited:
Hmmm, ok...
and can anyone tell me what the following subjects cover;
Gen.biology 1
Gen.biology 2
Inorganic chemistry 1 and 2
Organic chemistry 1 and 2
Physics 1 and 2
English 1 and 2

In India we don't cover the subjects like that...Well, in Tamilnadu atleast...
The Manipal twinning program application asks for all these subjects for the MD course...and what is the grading system based on for these courses?
what is 80% and above considered as?

They are university courses not high school . If u do bachelor's in science then thats part of the requirement for university transfer (4 yr program). If u don't have those requirement you have to do pre-med in Manipal(6 yrs program).

http://www.auamed.org/med/Academic_Info/PreMed/premed.html

The 6 yrs program has lot of problem its not accepted by medical council of india. Inorder to accepted in Canada a program should be accredited by that country. In US 3 provinces(states) don't accept twilling concept, when we graduate GOD knows how many provinces would accept it!!! Although the 6 yr program easier to get in than 5.5 . You may wanna consider 5.5 bc its recognized everywhere.

Is it true that if yo do the aua international progrm you graduate with an american degree and not a foreign degree, so you can go into any residency you want?? Plus is it true that those 3 states you can work afterwards in them u just cant do your resideny in them

This thread is a bit old but decided to give it a shot. Hope you are checking it as I had some questions....I recently graduated from a high school in the US. I had applied to KMC Manipal to their MBBS program (not twinning) but instead got admission to Mangalore. I know nothing of Mangalore and am in a real dilemna. I know a lot of US NRIs are in Manipal and for me that it important, plus it is a campus. Is it worthwhile to wait and re-apply to Manipal next year? I have admission here to a US college for now and don't mind waiting it out. Would this be a wise thing to do? What do you think? any feed back will be appreciated!!
hi
good luck

Well i am not sure about mangalore campus, but have been to manipal, its a beautiful place for studying, not much distractions. If u really want to be a hardworking doc and learn all the skills its a great place. My husband studied medicine there and now i am going there this summer to study medicine.
I have never been to the mangalore campus so cant say much. good luck

i wud suggest u 2 play it safe n do a 5.5 yr course in india. u can still prepare 4 USMLE... right??