KMno4 and K2Cr2O7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pistolpete007

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do both of these do the same thing.....like if i have benzyl-CH2CH2CH2 and have kmno4 or k3cr2o7 im gonna get benzylCOOH
 
do both of these do the same thing.....like if i have benzyl-CH2CH2CH2 and have kmno4 or k3cr2o7 im gonna get benzylCOOH
Firstly, you should know that KMnO4 acts differently under 2 conditions (cold diluted, and heated in base).
When cold/dil KMnO4 turns a double bond into a diol, when heated in base it will Fully oxidize the double bond similar to ozonolysis except that it oxidizes to carboxylic acids.
so CH3CHCHCh3 would become 2CH3COOH.

On a side note, I think it is K2Cr2O7 and may require some acid also and I know this oxidizes any alkyl groups on a benzene fully at the benzylic position.


And finally to answer your question: I think it would do the same thing.
They are both strong oxidizing agents.
Someone should open a oxidizing reducing thread because there is so much to know and each book says different things.
I know I wrote a lot but thought it would help.
 
They are both very strong oxidizing agents, and will take a primary alcohol all the way to carboxylic acid. Exceptions are going to be when KMnO4 is with cold/dilute conditions, and with secondary alcohols, as they can only go to ketones. 👍