SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

KMno4 and K2Cr2O7

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by pistolpete007, Jun 15, 2008.

1. pistolpete007

pistolpete007 2+ Year Member

May 18, 2008
    do both of these do the same if i have benzyl-CH2CH2CH2 and have kmno4 or k3cr2o7 im gonna get benzylCOOH
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. iA-MD2013

iA-MD2013 Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Firstly, you should know that KMnO4 acts differently under 2 conditions (cold diluted, and heated in base).
    When cold/dil KMnO4 turns a double bond into a diol, when heated in base it will Fully oxidize the double bond similar to ozonolysis except that it oxidizes to carboxylic acids.
    so CH3CHCHCh3 would become 2CH3COOH.

On a side note, I think it is K2Cr2O7 and may require some acid also and I know this oxidizes any alkyl groups on a benzene fully at the benzylic position.

And finally to answer your question: I think it would do the same thing.
    They are both strong oxidizing agents.
    Someone should open a oxidizing reducing thread because there is so much to know and each book says different things.
    I know I wrote a lot but thought it would help.
  4. sweetpea2

sweetpea2 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2008
    yea..they are the same i believe. Both strong oxidizing agents

DRHOYA 2+ Year Member

May 15, 2008
    They are both very strong oxidizing agents, and will take a primary alcohol all the way to carboxylic acid. Exceptions are going to be when KMnO4 is with cold/dilute conditions, and with secondary alcohols, as they can only go to ketones. :thumbup: