1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

KMno4 and K2Cr2O7

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by pistolpete007, Jun 15, 2008.

1. pistolpete007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    do both of these do the same thing.....like if i have benzyl-CH2CH2CH2 and have kmno4 or k3cr2o7 im gonna get benzylCOOH

2. iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Firstly, you should know that KMnO4 acts differently under 2 conditions (cold diluted, and heated in base).
    When cold/dil KMnO4 turns a double bond into a diol, when heated in base it will Fully oxidize the double bond similar to ozonolysis except that it oxidizes to carboxylic acids.
    so CH3CHCHCh3 would become 2CH3COOH.

On a side note, I think it is K2Cr2O7 and may require some acid also and I know this oxidizes any alkyl groups on a benzene fully at the benzylic position.

And finally to answer your question: I think it would do the same thing.
    They are both strong oxidizing agents.
    Someone should open a oxidizing reducing thread because there is so much to know and each book says different things.
    I know I wrote a lot but thought it would help.

3. sweetpea2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yea..they are the same i believe. Both strong oxidizing agents

4. DRHOYA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They are both very strong oxidizing agents, and will take a primary alcohol all the way to carboxylic acid. Exceptions are going to be when KMnO4 is with cold/dilute conditions, and with secondary alcohols, as they can only go to ketones. :thumbup: