Knee Brace?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gcuddles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long shot but I thought I'd try this forum before going to a doctor that I probably can't afford (yet!!). I have a hypermobility disorder, and so have hyperextension in both knees. I'm thinking ahead to 3rd and 4th year rotations (and residency beyond), and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a knee brace that a) prevents hyperextension and b) can be worn pretty comfortably all day?

Yes, I try to do exercise to strengthen the joints (and any recommendations are welcome!), but no matter how many knee-stabilizing exercises I do, I don't think standing in an OR all day is doing me any favors.

Any advice is much appreciated in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

opening any post with "thought I'd ask before going to a doctor" is going to be problematic on this forum, typically

I would recommend just asking about people's experiences with their knees and what they have done for themselves, or asking what people thought of various products and not getting too personal about yourself

there's a way to elicit info on this forum that won't get you into TOS issues, I'm worried the way you phrased this sorta borders on trying to get personal medical advice which we can't give

this is more career than medical advice, I would advise you to go to your school and the clerkship director, possibly the Diversity Office where they handle reasonable accommodations, and see what ideas they might have to deal with any school related performance issues that might arise

that would be the non-medical portion of how to handle this

as far as what to do for braces, best to leave that to a health care professional

I can tell you that some students are able to get accommodations that allow them to sit to observe/sit some procedures, without penalty

Members don't see this ad :)
look into a folding cane seat for being able to sit during rounds and such where there are not chairs readily available, where a lot of standing takes place, yet it isn't necessary to stand

Status
Not open for further replies.