Status
Not open for further replies.

G.P

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
174
0
Virginia
Status
Should i be concerned about knee pain that has been on and off for a little more than a week?the pain is not constant(but present most of the times) or sharp.Its dull and gets aggravated when i walk or when its bent at a particulat angle when ever its in use.The area on the medial to and below the kneecap ,a little to the anterior side is tender to palpation when my leg is straight but not when its bent at the knee.I have taken an appointment but its not untill next week and i would welcome any information regarding what it may be and what precautions i could take.
Thanks .
p.s- I have recently starting running about 3 miles per day ,which i stopped as soon as the pain began.I dont remember hurting my knee against anything.
 

mblum151

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2005
33
0
Status
G.P said:
Should i be concerned about knee pain that has been on and off for a little more than a week?the pain is not constant(but present most of the times) or sharp.Its dull and gets aggravated when i walk or when its bent at a particulat angle when ever its in use.The area on the medial to and below the kneecap ,a little to the anterior side is tender to palpation when my leg is straight but not when its bent at the knee.I have taken an appointment but its not untill next week and i would welcome any information regarding what it may be and what precautions i could take.
Thanks .
p.s- I have recently starting running about 3 miles per day ,which i stopped as soon as the pain began.I dont remember hurting my knee against anything.

I would guess that you have Runners Knee or Patella Femural Syndrome. Basically, it sounds like the cartilage under your patella is damaged causing inflamation. You definitley need to stop running and ice, ice, ice. Rest your knee until your appointment. You'll probably need x rays too.
 
OP
G

G.P

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
174
0
Virginia
Status
Thanks ,will let you know what the doc says.
 

SOUNDMAN

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
941
2
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My guess is the same: patella chondromalacia with patella femoral syndrome. You need to lay off the running, use NSAIDS, and ice as well. Proper Physical therapy with some closed chain exercises that don't put pressure on your knee cap will probably help as will some VMO strengthing, good luck at the physicians office.
 

!dr_nick!

Loves you AND your mom!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
2,084
0
38
the pants party
Status
How is your internal/external rotation of the lower leg? Tibial rotation and foot problems (even if you dont feel it in the foot) often manifest knee pain.
 

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
3,056
646
Status
Attending Physician
SOUNDMAN said:
My guess is the same: patella chondromalacia with patella femoral syndrome. You need to lay off the running, use NSAIDS, and ice as well. Proper Physical therapy with some closed chain exercises that don't put pressure on your knee cap will probably help as will some VMO strengthing, good luck at the physicians office.

This is the best info you've received so far. Soundman is a PA (health care professional) and the others who posted are either first years in med school or earlier (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I assume you're looking for some Ortho residents to answer your questions). Remember to take advice on these forums with a grain of salt.

-J
 
OP
G

G.P

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
174
0
Virginia
Status
Thanks guys for taking the time to write.As of today the pain is less frequent and I can live thru the day without realising its there!.It still hurts if i walk too fast .If i try to rotate my lower leg it hurts at the knee at the same location.
Does this condition never improve completely?
Thanks for your replies once again.I'll heed all the advice.
 

mblum151

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2005
33
0
Status
G.P said:
Thanks guys for taking the time to write.As of today the pain is less frequent and I can live thru the day without realising its there!.It still hurts if i walk too fast .If i try to rotate my lower leg it hurts at the knee at the same location.
Does this condition never improve completely?
Thanks for your replies once again.I'll heed all the advice.
I actually have the same problem. I ran 10 miles one weekend and had the same pain in my knees that you feel. The pain subsided after 2 days, so I ran on it again (11 miles during the week, 10 miles on the weekend.) After my second 10 mile run, my knees were in a lot of pain. It's been 2 weeks and I still can't go up and down stairs. I saw my orthopedist and had x-rays which were fine. Now, I'm seeing a PT and just resting. It'll be a while until I'm back to normal. I would just rest, ice your knees, and take an anti-inflammatory. Definitely see a doctor as soon as you can. I hope this helps...
 

DPTATC

solve the problem
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
32
0
minnesota
Status
mblum151 said:
I actually have the same problem. I ran 10 miles one weekend and had the same pain in my knees that you feel. The pain subsided after 2 days, so I ran on it again (11 miles during the week, 10 miles on the weekend.) After my second 10 mile run, my knees were in a lot of pain. It's been 2 weeks and I still can't go up and down stairs. I saw my orthopedist and had x-rays which were fine. Now, I'm seeing a PT and just resting. It'll be a while until I'm back to normal. I would just rest, ice your knees, and take an anti-inflammatory. Definitely see a doctor as soon as you can. I hope this helps...
There are a whole cluster of symptoms that occur because of your feet. Soundman has it right. too much pronation, causes your knee to move into a valgus position, causing your patella to move laterally right when your quads are contracting the hardest. better running shoes, more flexible quads and ITB, as well as some medial glide patellar mobilizations to stretch the lateral patellar retinaculum are all things you can do on your own. Go to the doctor, get a referral for PT and they can teach you how to do some of the more arcane things. A good foot eval is also key as Soundman said. Your knee does what your foot tells you but sometimes your hip will argue, then you get pain. (foots says pronate, hip says I'm tight and won't allow the femur to move with the foot, presto you have too much motion in the transverse plane at the knee and all kinds of things can go wrong.
 

volkl7

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2004
18
1
Status
the best advice i can give you is go see someone (which you are going to do) who can do a good knee and lower extremity exam. ignore the previous posts. your discription of your self exam is somewhat vague and definitely is not inclusive of a full knee exam. you could have patellofemoral issues, medial meniscus problems, jumper's knee/patellar tendonitis, a medial plica, blah blah.
see an orthopod.
 
OP
G

G.P

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
174
0
Virginia
Status
Hey ,
As of the last 2 days my knee is as good as before and there is no pain what so ever even in use or otherwise.I can walk up and down the stairs as well.I am giving it as much rest as possible.So i am curious to know whether the condition is still what some of you mentioned or will there be a change in anyone's opinion as my knee seems much better?
Thanks
 

truthseeker

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,012
320
Status
G.P said:
Hey ,
As of the last 2 days my knee is as good as before and there is no pain what so ever even in use or otherwise.I can walk up and down the stairs as well.I am giving it as much rest as possible.So i am curious to know whether the condition is still what some of you mentioned or will there be a change in anyone's opinion as my knee seems much better?
Thanks
Patellor femoral syndrome can come and go. There is probably some underlying mechanical reason that it came on in the first place so I would still keep my appointments. That way you can address it, treat it and get back to increasing your activity.
 

JackADeli

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
2,635
13
South
Status
Non-Student
I'm an ortho resident and my advice is to stop soliciting advice on the internet since it's not kosher over here.
I must agree.

I also believe seeking medical advice is a violation of TOS. Also, please stop advertising/marketing your arthritis product or whatever. This thread was a 2005 thread! It needs to be closed and hopefully your product link disabled.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.