know an adcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Texasboy86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I was just wondering how much help knowing an adcom would be when applying. One of my family friends is on the admissions board at one of the schools I am applying to. How much can this help?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys. I was just wondering how much help knowing an adcom would be when applying. One of my family friends is on the admissions board at one of the schools I am applying to. How much can this help?

Might get you an interview but not necessarily an acceptance. Best to stand on your own credentials/merits.

might help a lil but prolly only with getting the initial interview
but not if your stats are crap

Members don't see this ad :)
i know of a kid dating the daughter of the head of admissions. as far as i know he's been waitlisted for this cycle..so i wouldn't rely on a connection

Im definately not relying on it. I just wanted to get some feedback on how it would help.

all things considered, it probably does help...i think anyone would find a bit of an advantage knowing someone in the adcom. hopefully it works in your favor

this world is all about connections, and dental school is no different, i actually know a few people who got into dental school b/c of their connects

I agree..Any type of connection is a good thing. Connections are how the business world works!! I wouldn't rely on it but of course it's a good thing!

i know of a kid dating the daughter of the head of admissions. as far as i know he's been waitlisted for this cycle..so i wouldn't rely on a connection

maybe the head of admission doughter is not really happy with her boyfriend and that is the reason being in waitlist not acceptance! :cool:

maybe the head of admission daughter is not really happy with her boyfriend and that is the reason being in waitlist not acceptance! :cool:

Maybe going to that school would mean her boyfriend will be further away from her, so that's why he got waitlisted. I love idle speculation :D

Maybe going to that school would mean her boyfriend will be further away from her, so that's why he got waitlisted. I love idle speculation :D

fathers dont like boyfriends for their daughters, thats why he got waitlisted

It would seem that if you want an answer to your question it should be addressed your the adcom "friend". We would, however, be interested in knowing what his/her views on about the Cs and D's in the pre requisites. Do chime in next year and let us know.

It's not about what you know, it's about who you know. :thumbup:

conflict of intrest....... But what can ya do? I don't think you'd be happy if you got into D school knowing that you got in just because you knew someone. But then again, you might;)

Haha. I never said Id get in just because I knew someone. All I asked is how much it would help. I appreciate your advice except for the ones who are assuming I dont stand a chance alone. Thats the problem with a few people on these forums.

Haha. I never said Id get in just because I knew someone. All I asked is how much it would help. I appreciate your advice except for the ones who are assuming I dont stand a chance alone. Thats the problem with a few people on these forums.

If you could skate through the admission process on the merit of your credentials wouldn't knowing an adcom be moot?

yea it would be. Thats why it was just a simple question. Your responses are really of no help so why bother?

If you could skate through the admission process on the merit of your credentials wouldn't knowing an adcom be moot?

You've never known anyone who is a 4.0 student, has a 99.9% going into the final, and still worries about pulling an A in the class? (thats a little bit of exaggeration but you catch my drift) It's natural for people worrying about gaining admissions to envision something going freakishly wrong in their gaining acceptance if they don't hear something when they expect to. On top of that some people just need to chill the **** out sometimes. I'm not saying texas is obsessively worrying by any means but some people do, and some people like that little extra security blanket to hold on to.

What about dating an adcom? How's that for a connection :laugh:

haha dating an adcom...now ur talkin.