Knowledge, Prevention

Started by Antonio35
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Antonio35

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't sure who would serve as a good audience for my message. I know that Physical Therapists play a role, though. I distinctly remember sitting across from a Physical Therapist in South OKC, tears streaming down my face as she helped fit me for a TENS unit that my GP said would not remove my pain. Her eyes started tearing up, too, and I don't think I've ever experienced that kind of compassion from a medical professional.

I'm a spine case. I have herniated and bulging discs, lumbar and cervical, and the nerve pain to go along with it. I lifted too heavy. I deadlifted too heavy. I know now it's possible with straining and years of persistence to wreck a spine.

I'm posting this message because there is a giant disconnect between you guys and some of the people who need you the most. You could search online for the most popular bodybuilding website and find "exercise" and "injury/recovery" forums that would make an orthopedist cringe. I'm in those forums, but I'm not popular. I DO know the catastrophic results of injury and what survivorship bias is. I know you'll find yourself working with people just like me.

I wish there were a way to stem the tide of self-injury. I know there are people looking for answers and not getting the help they need. This may be a rant. It's certainly an epidemic. Do a YouTube search for "deadlift." That's what you have to work with. Thanks for reading.