Korea vs Japan vs China

Started by nysegop
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Korea v Japan v China

  • China

    Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Japan

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Korea

    Votes: 3 13.6%

  • Total voters
    22

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm thinking about for my minor doing Asian studies. In fact, I'm pretty sure I will do Asian studies (middle east studies is my second choice). Anyway, I need to chose a "housing unit" for my dorm. I am going this "global village" option where you can chose a culture to study and explore (including often study abroad trips). There are three asian focused ones to chose from:

-Chinese House
-Korea House
-Japanese House


I'm honestly interested in all three cultures and cannot decide. I'm curious what other people think. Things to consider: language, culture, women 😉 , country, politics, future, etc.



Possible Arguments:

China -
Pros: Large country, most spoken language, huge population, largest economic growth, very ancient cultures as well as huge modern metropolises.
Cons: Probably the least attractive women (on average, there are some pretty hot Chinese girls), restrictive government makes documenting and traveling a pain in the ***.

Edit: Never mind about the least attractive women. It's not true.

Japan:
Pros: HUGE entertainment industry (anime, manga, comics, etc.), pronunciation of language relatively intuitive, very hot women, ancient cultures as well as modern cities.
Cons: Economic outlook is negative, population is shrinking, huge financial crises, japanese people are fairly reclusive.

Korea:
Pros: Solid economic growth (not as much as China though), growing entertainment industry (it would be nice to understand Gangnam style :naughty: ), girls are hot.
Cons: Small country, language not widely spoken, language grammar is a pain,


[UPDATE]
3/18/13 - Officially decided to do Latin American studies and stay in the Spanish House (Casa de Español)
 
Last edited:
language grammar is a pain,

Wouldn't that be the same for China or Japan?
In general, the languages for all three are pretty difficult to learn. I'm taking AP Chinese and the vocabulary that I have to learn is overwhelming, plus memorizing each character. I'd say there are probably 9000 out of the 106,230 that you need to learn. :help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_characters#Number_of_Chinese_characters

If you stay in the major cities such as Beijing or Shanghai, language won't be a problem.

Do you know where you will be staying? (For each country)

p.s. I had a study abroad trip to Italy, France, and Monaco. My home-stay families were pretty
chill.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
North Korea

Oh, okay. Now we're talking...

tysonreaction.gif
 
Yeah, have fun choosing on your own.

It's college dude. It matters.

Wouldn't that be the same for China or Japan?
In general, the languages for all three are pretty difficult to learn. I'm taking AP Chinese and the vocabulary that I have to learn is overwhelming, plus memorizing each character. I'd say there are probably 9000 out of the 106,230 that you need to learn. :help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_characters#Number_of_Chinese_characters

If you stay in the major cities such as Beijing or Shanghai, language won't be a problem.

Do you know where you will be staying? (For each country)

p.s. I had a study abroad trip to Italy, France, and Monaco. My home-stay families were pretty
chill.

I've heard that vocab and characters are a pain but the grammar is relatively intuitive for Chinese.

Probably in Shanghai or Beijing for China. Probs Seoul for Korea. Tokyo region for Japan.
Those will probably just be home bases though.

Oh, okay. Now we're talking...

tysonreaction.gif

Hahahahahahahhahahahaha
 
I do, honestly. But i think it'll be more like nuke = dead + another nuke = more dead = War over, many casualties, humans ruin the earth more than they already have
 
I made a similar thread a while ago. Although I listen to mostly Korean songs, I like the way Mandarin sounds, and it could be useful for doctors (and considering the fact that we are all going to be one someday....)

But you should do the culture you know the most about so far/ are interested in the most.

Besides, all these countries are potential warzones 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There will be a world war 3. The question isn't if, but when, who, and what.
I think I will choose China. I just like the country, strong economic growth, etc. The government is somewhat oppressive, but at least it's stable and moving in a positive direction (for the most part). They signed the last sanctions on NK which was surprising.
 
I don't think China will let North Korea ruin the trillion dollars in trade between the US and itself.
 
I take it back about China having the least hot girls...

Beautiful_Chinese_Girls_3.jpg


Beautiful_Chinese_Girl_2757_NiceFun.jpg


chinese%2Bgirl%2Bsexy%2Bchinese%2Bgirl%2Bsexy.jpg



So beautiful.

This is kinda weird but... but is anyone else really attracted to girls of other ethnicities?

Whenever I travel I love seeing foreign girls. Asians, hispanics, russians, indian, middle eastern, I like them all.
 
LOL I didn't know that how good-looking the people were would ever play into making such a choice.

Based on your analysis, I'd say Japan > Korea > China.

Most of the Chinese people you'll want to communicate with will already know English.

Japan because I think they have a big porn industry?

I personally would choose Korea because several Korean dramas simply touch my heart 😍
 
EDIT:
Never-mind I will just stick with Spanish House and do Latin American studies.

LATINA WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FTW

latina-woman-smiling.jpg
 
Last edited:
Wow a NYSEGOP thread! This dude was the biggest troll in hSDN, glad he was hit with the ban.