KPM help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to improve KPM? especially new script pickup and first fills. My store is seriously lagging behind. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

CVS..KPM

Members don't see this ad.

The main thing that will help improve any metric with CVS is to follow PSI to the letter. Everyone has to do their assignments every time. This will make the whole work flow seem better and solve a lot of problems before customers arrive to the pharmacy.

On KPM, our store has done a couple of things to improve our score. The key to first fill counseling is for them to refill the prescription on time for the next fill. So if they get a 30 day supply of a med, we want it refilled in 30 days. If it is a 90 day supply of a med, we want it refilled in 90 days. The best way to ensure this is to offer ready fill. Just let the patient know the benefits of taking the med every day and then ask, "Would you like us to automatically refill this for you for the next time?" Probably about half of the people will say yes if it is asked this way.

Secondly, new script pick up is about calling the patients and having them get the scripts that have been filled for 8 days. One key is to get rid of scripts that aren't likely to be picked up. To do this, you need to run a cash loss report on day 7 and find prescriptions that are either duplications, prior authorizations, or just too much money that the patient doesn't want to pay. Think about it, if a script is $200, how many patients will come pick it up? Maybe we need to call them and ask about alternative treatments. Anyways, on Day 7, if you get rid of those few prescriptions that the patients won't pick up, it will increase the percentage picked up by only having scripts that actually have a realistic chance of being picked up. The main step is to actually call them or leave a message. Most stores that don't have a high new script pick up usually have a low percentage of phone calls made.

I hope that helps. Remember that PSI is the essential element needed for any program to work at CVS. If PSI is not followed, I bet the store will struggle more times than not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having taken a store from the bottom 25% of the company to top 10% in KPM, I agree with much of what the above poster said, especially about readyfill. I would also recommend getting valid phone numbers for all of your patients. Doing this lets the automated system do most of the work for you, and those that it does not work for can be tried again with a live person.

The main thing that will help improve any metric with CVS is to follow PSI to the letter. Everyone has to do their assignments every time. This will make the whole work flow seem better and solve a lot of problems before customers arrive to the pharmacy.

On KPM, our store has done a couple of things to improve our score. The key to first fill counseling is for them to refill the prescription on time for the next fill. So if they get a 30 day supply of a med, we want it refilled in 30 days. If it is a 90 day supply of a med, we want it refilled in 90 days. The best way to ensure this is to offer ready fill. Just let the patient know the benefits of taking the med every day and then ask, "Would you like us to automatically refill this for you for the next time?" Probably about half of the people will say yes if it is asked this way.

Secondly, new script pick up is about calling the patients and having them get the scripts that have been filled for 8 days. One key is to get rid of scripts that aren't likely to be picked up. To do this, you need to run a cash loss report on day 7 and find prescriptions that are either duplications, prior authorizations, or just too much money that the patient doesn't want to pay. Think about it, if a script is $200, how many patients will come pick it up? Maybe we need to call them and ask about alternative treatments. Anyways, on Day 7, if you get rid of those few prescriptions that the patients won't pick up, it will increase the percentage picked up by only having scripts that actually have a realistic chance of being picked up. The main step is to actually call them or leave a message. Most stores that don't have a high new script pick up usually have a low percentage of phone calls made.

I hope that helps. Remember that PSI is the essential element needed for any program to work at CVS. If PSI is not followed, I bet the store will struggle more times than not.

thisguy.gif

Last edited:
Execution helps measure the mundane tasks each store has to do from day to day. There are part of the metrics that does evaluate customer service like wait time, ready when promised, picking up the phone in time, and answering drive thru in time. Now, if those numbers are good, then you will have better customer service more likely than not. Now, these numbers can be fudged by changing the wait time after the time is due to make it look like you actually get everything done before it turns "Red". The next big item on execution is inventory. This is a good business metric and if most stores did inventory properly, then maybe there would be enough money for our techs to get raises. The next two items are order reach rate, which means you have to have the right phone numbers for your patients so they know to come pick up their medicine when it is ready. Then there is the lovely generic substitution rate which is the hardest to control.

You might not like the execution and think it is unfair, but stores with good execution run a smoother store, especially the ones that don't fudge numbers. Their inventory is good and their service is good. So, the execution directly corresponds to how good the store is doing.

Execution helps measure the mundane tasks each store has to do from day to day. There are part of the metrics that does evaluate customer service like wait time, ready when promised, picking up the phone in time, and answering drive thru in time. Now, if those numbers are good, then you will have better customer service more likely than not. Now, these numbers can be fudged by changing the wait time after the time is due to make it look like you actually get everything done before it turns "Red". The next big item on execution is inventory. This is a good business metric and if most stores did inventory properly, then maybe there would be enough money for our VIP's to get bigger bonuses.. The next two items are order reach rate, which means you have to have the right phone numbers for your patients so they know to come pick up their medicine when it is ready. Then there is the lovely generic substitution rate which is the hardest to control.

You might not like the execution and think it is unfair, but stores with good execution run a smoother store, especially the ones that don't fudge numbers. Their inventory is good and their service is good. So, the execution directly corresponds to how good the store is doing.

I fixed a minor technical flaw in your post, but I basically agree with your post. In my limited experience it seems some pharmacies are well run and the metrics are sorta like back round noise - it's there, but the focus is on getting the job done. The numbers should be fine if everyone is doing their job. Then some people focus entirely on the numbers, to hell with wither or not it actually measures reality, it is all about beating the number.

Last edited:

I don't think you can run a day 7 report with the RxConnect. I can only day 3 and day 14 reports. If you could post how to do day 7 reports that would be helpful.

To see what scripts are on day 7, you have to print a cash loss report, not the waiting bin report. You print the cash loss report for the date range of only 7 days ago. So today's would be 6/20/11 to 6/20/11. That should bring up all scripts filled on that day that are still in the waiting bin.

If stores are leaving people on hold, then their triple s should suffer as well. Sometimes they will struggle and still have good numbers and only when the DM or someone like that is in will it ever be noticed.

To see what scripts are on day 7, you have to print a cash loss report, not the waiting bin report. You print the cash loss report for the date range of only 7 days ago. So today's would be 6/20/11 to 6/20/11. That should bring up all scripts filled on that day that are still in the waiting bin.

If stores are leaving people on hold, then their triple s should suffer as well. Sometimes they will struggle and still have good numbers and only when the DM or someone like that is in will it ever be noticed.

Beating triple s is easy. Tell your customers you only get credit for 5's and ask them to give you all fives. If the survey prints for someone who doesn't seem happy, tare it off before giving it to them. Save it for someone who you think will give you 5's. Also, give them to friends and family and ask them to give you fives.

Every time I come back to CVS, there is a new program. The store I'm at do everything they can to "cheat", and somehow...we still ended up being on the bottom 5.

On a side note, when do Rphs get their annual raise?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every time I come back to CVS, there is a new program. The store I'm at do everything they can to "cheat", and somehow...we still ended up being on the bottom 5.

Maybe you should execute the program the way they want instead of trying to cheat.

You admit cheating on their metrics, still coming in the bottom of the barrel, and you want a raise? Something doesn't add up here.

Then y'all are cheating wrong.

RPh's get an annual raise? I thought base pay went pretty much unchanged except for like COLA adjustments, etc. and only bonuses were given to reflect performance. I would love to be wrong here, but pretty sure RPh's do not get annual raises.

Maybe you should execute the program the way they want instead of trying to cheat.

Agreed. If the same energy that went into beating the system would be applied to using the system, the world would be a better place.

RPh's get an annual raise? I thought base pay went pretty much unchanged except for like COLA adjustments, etc. and only bonuses were given to reflect performance. I would love to be wrong here, but pretty sure RPh's do not get annual raises..

I have no idea what will happen this year. In previous years, each pharmacist fills out a self evaluation and meets with the Pharmacy supervisor. Raises are based on performance. I think (though I have no proof) previously the supes were given a budget of x$ and they could divide it the way they see fit. I think last year they clamped down and limited the number of people who could get the top raise and the increase was also limited.

I have no idea what will happen this year. In previous years, each pharmacist fills out a self evaluation and meets with the Pharmacy supervisor. Raises are based on performance. I think (though I have no proof) previously the supes were given a budget of x$ and they could divide it the way they see fit. I think last year they clamped down and limited the number of people who could get the top raise and the increase was also limited.

So you do get (or at least did get) annual raises? That's pretty cool. For some reason I had it in my head that the base rate was pretty much the same for a given job code as far as RPh's went. Glad to be wrong. :thumbup:

You admit cheating on their metrics, still coming in the bottom of the barrel, and you want a raise? Something doesn't add up here.

CVS prints out this 1800 # randomly at the bottom of the receipt, the PIC has a program at home that calls in giving us all 5's. I'm only asking about a raise because CVS sent out a memo to schedule an annual evaluation with the supervisor. I only work a few days a month, so I am not too familiar with it and was just curious about the whole process.

any newer tips? almost all the stores in my district failed and we have to go to the meeting. I am trying your tips this month but I need to get at least a 70. Thanks,

A whole bunch of bonkers if you ask me! I recognize that CVS has come up with ingenious business strategies to keep the script count flowing into their pharmacies. It is also ingenious as to the amount of thought processing that goes into their programs, and the engineering of remarkable algorithms that contribute to the efficiency of running a retail pharmacy. Following CVS's PSI is fine and good, and will minimize problems, but it is not ideal.
The common issue that causes a lot of stores to struggle is just staffing levels and personnel quality. That's it!
How many tech hours have you been restricted to, while being demanded to follow PSI? Cutting hours is the biggest hamper to the success of A LOT of stores...especially busy ones. There are also no incentives to keep techs. I have noticed that the best of techs seem to be those who have taken it as a terminal career and have decided they rather not pursue anything else.....and they are quite few. Most techs I encounter, across multiple stores, are "still looking for a job" and have a nonchalant attitude towards work. If techs were compensated and valued more, more of them would settle for it as a permanent career and they would actually be invested in their work.
Taking care of these issues will cause improvement for a lot of stores.....the problem is that chains are corporations, and corporations are never satisfied with the size of profit no matter how much. Posting 1bill in profits every year for 5 years is considered a failure because the profits are not rising. I"m pretty sure if Big red paid everybody fine....they would not starve...

A whole bunch of bonkers if you ask me! I recognize that CVS has come up with ingenious business strategies to keep the script count flowing into their pharmacies. It is also ingenious as to the amount of thought processing that goes into their programs, and the engineering of remarkable algorithms that contribute to the efficiency of running a retail pharmacy. Following CVS's PSI is fine and good, and will minimize problems, but it is not ideal.
The common issue that causes a lot of stores to struggle is just staffing levels and personnel quality. That's it!
How many tech hours have you been restricted to, while being demanded to follow PSI? Cutting hours is the biggest hamper to the success of A LOT of stores...especially busy ones. There are also no incentives to keep techs. I have noticed that the best of techs seem to be those who have taken it as a terminal career and have decided they rather not pursue anything else.....and they are quite few. Most techs I encounter, across multiple stores, are "still looking for a job" and have a nonchalant attitude towards work. If techs were compensated and valued more, more of them would settle for it as a permanent career and they would actually be invested in their work.
Taking care of these issues will cause improvement for a lot of stores.....the problem is that chains are corporations, and corporations are never satisfied with the size of profit no matter how much. Posting 1bill in profits every year for 5 years is considered a failure because the profits are not rising. I"m pretty sure if Big red paid everybody fine....they would not starve...

This. And I've seen many an excellent career-type tech leave CVS for a hospital position because the pay and stress level are much better. You get what you pay for, in my opinion, and I have some ideas for added compensation for my techs, but who knows if it will be enough in the end.

It is best to use CVS to get some experience and then discard them. That is what they do to their employees. Burn and churn. It's a piss poor company to work (slave) for.

RX Care gosh I wish you were the CVS CEO- you are 100% correct- CVS could really be a great company and could really blow away the competition if they allowed Pharmacies to hire the required help they needed- if I had 40 hours more of tech and another pharmacist at my location I would hit a home run in all of CVS programs and I know they have the money for it because 4 years ago I had 60 more techs and had another FT pharmacist and my sales today are more than 4 years ago.
My Sup knows this but she's only following orders from upper management- maybe one day a light bulb will go off but I doubt it- they keep coming up with these programs that require man power but at the same time they cut tech hours- it's actually insane. Now some areas were giving extra hours for eSI in Jan but now all of a sudden they are told to cut back- are you freaking kidding- you are getting 10 to 15% increase script sales just on ESI but don't want to staff accordingly??????

Last edited:
Now some areas were giving extra hours for eSI in Jan but now all of a sudden they are told to cut back- are you freaking kidding- you are getting 10 to 15% increase script sales just on ESI but don't want to staff accordingly??????
That's the name of the game. It's like that everywhere... CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Target.

Once someone, somewhere figured out that all you have to do is to cut hours in a pharmacy to make more money, it spread like wildfire.

images

And frankly, it's management via lowest common denominator (LCD) and a monkey could do it! If you don't like it, either ignore the budget or give your staff adequate attention so that they can work more effectively.

Only upper managers with an advanced brain would properly manage the resources that are already in place. Cutting labor costs is a sign of lousy, poor management.