Hospital Pharmacy Interview help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxbaby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help of all of you awesome Hospital Pharmacists with clinical questions part. I may have an interview coming up in few weeks in a Hospital but I have only worked in retail. I am pretty awesome retail pharmacist but I have no idea what kind of clinical questions they will ask and I know they will. I feel lost so I need your help. Please list atleast 1 clinical question that you would ask if you were interviewing a retail pharmacist for a clinical position. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I can only base my experience off clinical questions I was given when applying to hospital jobs as a PGY-1 resident. I really only had two general questions (in terms of categories) that they simply ask all new candidates (retail pharmacists or not).

1) Understand basic antibiotic coverage
2) What is renally adjusted

A similar question I received:
- rank from top to bottom on what you would prioritize when staffing the central pharmacy (early shift by yourself)
* Nurse calls and says their omnicell/pyxis is out of morphine 4 mg/1ml vials
* Lokelma awaiting approval on the verification screen
* Gentamicin double-check is needed in the IV room (NICU)
* New nurse calls for instructions on how to administer Tenecteplase for a STEMI patient

Another question I remember having was the following:
- You're verifying medication that a provider has placed for cellulitis (zosyn + vancomycin)
- What lab markers would you look for and what changes (if any) would you make
- What other additional questions/information might you ask or look for concerning the patient

Very general questions my hospital asks candidates (shared with me since I asked and was curious):
- In general, what dose of enoxaparin would you recommend for prophylaxis VTE
* 75 year old patient with CrCl of 40 mL/min with PLT ~ 175 microliters
* 75 year old patient with CrCl of 20 mL/min with PLT ~ 175 microliters
* What other lab markers would you check, and what additional information might you need

- Provider orders bactrim PO for MRSA coverage on a patient with poor renal function and an elevated potassium level
* What changes or recommendations would you make and why
* If unsure, what tertiary literature would you use to look up the information

YMMV

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I can only base my experience off clinical questions I was given when applying to hospital jobs as a PGY-1 resident. I really only had two general questions (in terms of categories) that they simply ask all new candidates (retail pharmacists or not).

1) Understand basic antibiotic coverage
2) What is renally adjusted

A similar question I received:
- rank from top to bottom on what you would prioritize when staffing the central pharmacy (early shift by yourself)
* Nurse calls and says their omnicell/pyxis is out of morphine 4 mg/1ml vials
* Lokelma awaiting approval on the verification screen
* Gentamicin double-check is needed in the IV room (NICU)
* New nurse calls for instructions on how to administer Tenecteplase for a STEMI patient

Another question I remember having was the following:
- You're verifying medication that a provider has placed for cellulitis (zosyn + vancomycin)
- What lab markers would you look for and what changes (if any) would you make
- What other additional questions/information might you ask or look for concerning the patient

Very general questions my hospital asks candidates (shared with me since I asked and was curious):
- In general, what dose of enoxaparin would you recommend for prophylaxis VTE
* 75 year old patient with CrCl of 40 mL/min with PLT ~ 175 microliters
* 75 year old patient with CrCl of 20 mL/min with PLT ~ 175 microliters
* What other lab markers would you check, and what additional information might you need

- Provider orders bactrim PO for MRSA coverage on a patient with poor renal function and an elevated potassium level
* What changes or recommendations would you make and why
* If unsure, what tertiary literature would you use to look up the information

YMMV
Thank you so much ! It helps tremendously!

Members don't see this ad :)
BC_89 has provided a very comprehensive outline for a clinical position.
Based on my experience, over 37 yrs, with 5 major hospital systems in Georgia, to the best of my recollection, was never asked any clinical questions.
Might be, I was being hired as staff pharmacist. My last job hire was January 2022, with the largest hospital system in the southeast. The toughest question I got, from a panel of pharmacist, was if I was a UGA Bulldogs fan? The very next day, UGA won the National Championship (serious!) And this was my third interview (1st-HR, 2nd-Manager, 3rd-6 pharmacist panel). I think, the decision to hire was already made, based on Resume, references, and background check. The interview is just to confirm you aren't a total flake! They know you are coming from retail, they surely can't base your hire on clinical questions.
Sorry, can't be more helpful.
But I do recall some basic calculations skill questions at some point.

Reactions: 1 user
BC_89 has provided a very comprehensive outline for a clinical position.
Based on my experience, over 37 yrs, with 5 major hospital systems in Georgia, to the best of my recollection, was never asked any clinical questions.
Might be, I was being hired as staff pharmacist. My last job hire was January 2022, with the largest hospital system in the southeast. The toughest question I got, from a panel of pharmacist, was if I was a UGA Bulldogs fan? The very next day, UGA won the National Championship (serious!) And this was my third interview (1st-HR, 2nd-Manager, 3rd-6 pharmacist panel). I think, the decision to hire was already made, based on Resume, references, and background check. The interview is just to confirm you aren't a total flake! They know you are coming from retail, they surely can't base your hire on clinical questions.
Sorry, can't be more helpful.
But I do recall some basic calculations skill questions at some point.
Thank you! The manager called me for a pre screen and specifically mentioned that they also ask clinical questions, it might be calculations . I previously interviewed for an outpatient role and was asked for consultation points on some drugs. Might be a California thing, some institutions have very structured interview process here. I really don’t know what to prepare for.

Last edited:
Thank you! The manager called me for a pre screen and specifically mentioned that they also ask clinical questions, it might be calculations . I previously interviewed for an outpatient role and was asked for consultation points on some drugs. Might be a California thing, some institutions have very structured interview process here. I really don’t know what to prepare for.
Easier said, than done! But I wouldn't worry about it, they have seen your resume, they are willing to hire you with NO hospital experience. I just don't see how they could throw in: Vancomycin kinetics dosing based on AUC calculations, and reasonably exclude you due to not being able to complete it.
Now, I can see plenty of clinical questions for a PGY-1 candidate, or a clinical position.

Reactions: 1 users
Easier said, than done! But I wouldn't worry about it, they have seen your resume, they are willing to hire you with NO hospital experience. I just don't see how they could throw in: Vancomycin kinetics dosing based on AUC calculations, and reasonably exclude you due to not being able to complete it.
Now, I can see plenty of clinical questions for a PGY-1 candidate, or a clinical position.
Okay your words are little reassuring. I hope they are reasonable with me but I have couple of weeks so I ll review whatever I can just for some self confidence.

I am not entirely sure what consultation questions they are talking about. Doing a consult/calculation on something like vancomycin in an interview wouldn't serve its purpose (maybe knowing a loading dose or the difference between a random vs trough level?) That's just something you'll pick up with experience and time (if you're teachable, you'll be fine).

None of my interviews required calculation questions. Even if they did, it wouldn't be anything you couldn't handle. If I had to create a question based on calculations (highly doubt you'll encounter this in an interview), It might be something like the following (if you can get these, don't worry about calculations; these are common things I've encountered when helping to staff the central pharmacy):

A 50 mg vial of TNKase requires a final concentration of 5 mg/mL with sterile water. How many mL's does a STEMI patient need to receive a 40 mg bolus dose pushed over 5 seconds?

A 28-hour-old patient (3.65 kg) with seizures has now been started on a maintenance dose of phenobarbital (130 mg/mL injection) IV at 2.5 mg/kg every 12 hours. How many mL's is required for a single dose?
(make sure you bring glasses when drawing this up)

A 23-day-old patient (2.68 kg) receives an order for ferrous sulfate (15mg iron/mL) via NG tube at 2 mg/kg/day. How many mL's is needed for a daily dose? (fyi - typically mixed with 10-15 mL of milk)

I am not entirely sure what consultation questions they are talking about. Doing a consult/calculation on something like vancomycin in an interview wouldn't serve its purpose (maybe knowing a loading dose or the difference between a random vs trough level?) That's just something you'll pick up with experience and time (if you're teachable, you'll be fine).

None of my interviews required calculation questions. Even if they did, it wouldn't be anything you couldn't handle. If I had to create a question based on calculations (highly doubt you'll encounter this in an interview), It might be something like the following (if you can get these, don't worry about calculations; these are common things I've encountered when helping to staff the central pharmacy):

A 50 mg vial of TNKase requires a final concentration of 5 mg/mL with sterile water. How many mL's does a STEMI patient need to receive a 40 mg bolus dose pushed over 5 seconds?

A 28-hour-old patient (3.65 kg) with seizures has now been started on a maintenance dose of phenobarbital (130 mg/mL injection) IV at 2.5 mg/kg every 12 hours. How many mL's is required for a single dose?
(make sure you bring glasses when drawing this up)

A 23-day-old patient (2.68 kg) receives an order for ferrous sulfate (15mg iron/mL) via NG tube at 2 mg/kg/day. How many mL's is needed for a daily dose? (fyi - typically mixed with 10-15 mL of mi
Thanks for taking time and writing those questions. Just goes on show me there is so much I need to learn. I wonder if I have to memorize doses etc.

what cephalosporin is not renal dosed? A: ceftriaxone. What is the target INR for mechanical heart valves. A: 2.5-3.5. Dosing and timing of anticaogs.

what cephalosporin is not renal dosed? A: ceftriaxone. What is the target INR for mechanical heart valves. A: 2.5-3.5. Dosing and timing of anticaogs.
Perfect! type of questions I am looking for! Thank you!!

I highly doubt they are going to ask super specific clinical questions.

Thanks for taking time and writing those questions. Just goes on show me there is so much I need to learn. I wonder if I have to memorize doses etc.
If they understand your career background and chose to interview you, I don't think I would be to concerned on memorizing much - is this a rural hospital? how many beds is it and does it have an infusion center or NICU?

If you "had" to memorize specific dosing strategies on things you'll see every day, you can get familiar with the following (pretty sure this would be a waste, but if it gives you peace of mind, start with these and leave it at that):

Anticoagulation

enoxaparin (Lovenox)

1) prophylaxis dosing for DVT/PE
- 40 mg SQ every 24 hours (CrCl > 30 mL/min)
- 30 mg SQ every 24 hours (CrCl < 30 mL/min)

apixaban (Eliquis)
1) stroke prophylaxis (nonvalvular afib)
- 5 mg PO BID
- 2.5 mg PO BID (if 2 of these exist: > 80 yo, < 60 kg, or SCr > 1.5 mg/dL)

2) DVT/PE treatment dose
- 10 mg PO BID x 7 days, then 5 mg PO BID

rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
1) stroke prophylaxis (nonvalvular afib) with evening meal
- 20 mg PO daily (CrCl > 50 mL/min)
- 15 mg PO daily (CrCl 15 - 50 mL/min)

2) DVT/PE treatment dose
- 15 mg PO BID x 21 days, then 20 mg PO w/food

warfarin INR (should have a protocol at the hospital, but generally speaking):
1) Atrial fibrillation = 2 to 3
2) Mech. Valve = 2.5 to 3.5 (depends on the valve, but that's another story)
3) Drugs +/- foods that can raise or lower INR

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If they understand your career background and chose to interview you, I don't think I would be to concerned on memorizing much - is this a rural hospital? how many beds is it and does it have an infusion center or NICU?

If you "had" to memorize specific dosing strategies on things you'll see every day, you can get familiar with the following (pretty sure this would be a waste, but if it gives you peace of mind, start with these and leave it at that):

Anticoagulation

enoxaparin (Lovenox)

apixaban (Eliquis)
- 5 mg PO BID

2) DVT/PE treatment dose

rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
1) stroke prophylaxis (nonvalvular afib) with xarelto (evening meal)

2) DVT/PE treatment dose with xarelto

It is in a very small town but it’s > 400 bed hospital. I have never interviewed in a hospital that’s why I just have the fear of unknown. I have been applying for a year on and off and just got this first hospital interview. Also the drugs are so different so I am asking for any help here. Thank you so much for above information.

It is in a very small town but it’s > 400 bed hospital. I have never interviewed in a hospital that’s why I just have the fear of unknown. I have been applying for a year on and off and just got this first hospital interview. Also the drugs are so different so I am asking for any help here. Thank you so much for above information.
Also yes it has a NICU and infusion center

It's definitely a different world with a lot of information. If I had to add anything else, I would come prepared for "Tell me about a time when..." or "What would you do if the provider disagreed with you on this..." type of questions. Every hospital interview I received always had these built in.

One way or another, they liked you enough to be granted an interview and I am curious how the interview turns out for you!

know the dosing for apixaban. when to drop from 5mg bid to 2.5mg bid.

You will be fine. Its a lot of learning on the job

I have never worked retail but a lot of the pharmacists I work with at my hospital (and previous hospital) started in retail and made the transition and are top notch.

It's definitely a different world with a lot of information. If I had to add anything else, I would come prepared for "Tell me about a time when..." or "What would you do if the provider disagreed with you on this..." type of questions. Every hospital interview I received always had these built in.

One way or another, they liked you enough to be granted an interview and I am curious how the interview turns out for you!
I will report back, interview is in June! It might help other peeps if anything. Wish me luck

Okay if anyone watching this thread is curious, my interview had a whole oral questionnaire about 10-15 clinical questions from warfarin dosing to vancomycin dosing. There were hardly any behavioral questions. They just dwelled on my management experience from many years ago.

Anticoagulation

enoxaparin (Lovenox)

apixaban (Eliquis)
- 5 mg PO BID

2) DVT/PE treatment dose

rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
1) stroke prophylaxis (nonvalvular afib) with evening meal

2) DVT/PE treatment dose

I had a question on INRs in my interview . Thank you

I would say I was honest, friendly and straight forward. I didn’t know all the answers to the clinical questions. I don’t know what to think of it.

I would say I was honest, friendly and straight forward. I didn’t know all the answers to the clinical questions. I don’t know what to think of it.
Hope you get the job, keep us updated!