Krebs cycle question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question, so in the intermediate step between glycolysis and krebs cycle pruvate is converted into acetyl CoA and along with that 1 NADH and 1 CO2 are produced.

Do I include the NADH and CO2 into the numbers of products the kreb cycle produces or no since it isn't technically part of krebs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DAT destroyer says yes. According to problem #227 the CAC produces ATP, NADH, FADH2, and CO2

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm... Are you asking if you should count the products of 'pyruvate decarboxylation' as products of the Krebs Cycle? If so, then my answer would be no. The net equation for the Krebs Cycle only count the 3NADH + 3H + 1FADH2 + 1ATP + 2CO2 + CoASH (for each acetyl-CoA) that are produced in the Krebs Cycle itself.

I have a quick question, so in the intermediate step between glycolysis and krebs cycle pruvate is converted into acetyl CoA and along with that 1 NADH and 1 CO2 are produced.

Do I include the NADH and CO2 into the numbers of products the kreb cycle produces or no since it isn't technically part of krebs.

Thanks!
No, not for the products of Krebs cycle. But you do include it if you need to calculate total ATP produced.