Ksp and Common Ion Effect Question Kaplan Q Banks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betterfuture

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: Solid silver chloride (Ksp=1.8x10-10) was added to the vascular fluid in order to increase its osmotic pressure. How much of the silver chloride can be added to solution before the vascular fluid becomes contaminated with silver chloride precipitant

In the passage it states that vascular fluid is made of 935 mg of NaCl in 1 Liter of water.

KAP.png

The answer they gave to the question was 1.0 x 10-8 g AgCl. The steps are correct but the molar mass of NaCl is 49.5 and NOT 58.5 as it states in the 4th line of the paragraph I posted. Doesn't this make their answer incorrect or can someone tell me where 58.5 came from. Maybe I am not seeing it right away. Thanks!

I got 9.67 x 10-9 which is roughly 1.0 x 10-8 but where did the 58.5 come from?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The answer they gave to the question was 1.0 x 10-8 g AgCl. The steps are correct but the molar mass of NaCl is 49.5 and NOT 58.5 as it states in the 4th line of the paragraph I posted. Doesn't this make their answer incorrect or can someone tell me where 58.5 came from. Maybe I am not seeing it right away. Thanks!

The molar mass of NaCl is 58 - where are you getting 49??? Na = 23 and Cl = 35; 23 + 35 = 58.