Ksp Question

Started by 1070752
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1070752

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm going over this reaction:

Zn(OH)2 + 2OH^- <---> Zn(OH)4^2-

I missed out on the notes a bit, so I have Keq = Ksp*β4 = 2.3 x 10^-2

Now, I'm lost as to what β4 stands for (and its value)... I'm guessing β4 relates to Zn(OH)4

Then this is on the notes as well:

upload_2016-10-28_18-56-10.png


If someone can clarify this, I would appreciate it!
 
So I'm going over this reaction:

Zn(OH)2 + 2OH^- <---> Zn(OH)4^2-

I missed out on the notes a bit, so I have Keq = Ksp*β4 = 2.3 x 10^-2

Now, I'm lost as to what β4 stands for (and its value)... I'm guessing β4 relates to Zn(OH)4

Then this is on the notes as well:

View attachment 210305

If someone can clarify this, I would appreciate it!
I have never seen this relationship between Keq and Ksp, I thought Ksp IS the Keq for dissolving reactions, that is it is a ratio of products : reactants. Does this come from an MCAT question? Is this common on the exam?