KSUCPM 2020-2021 Application Cycle - Ask Me Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stella97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a second year at Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine. I am a student ambassador and I wanted to start a thread for anyone who is applying! If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me. I was in your shoes not too long ago and I remember the stress and all the questions I had. I am here to help answer any and all of your questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello!
Thank you for being willing to help. I was wondering if you could share your stats? GPA & MCAT score?

Also I keep doing horrible on MCAT practice exams, do you have any advice?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
Thank you for being willing to help. I was wondering if you could share your stats? GPA & MCAT score?

Also I keep doing horrible on MCAT practice exams, do you have any advice?
Sure! My MCAT score was a 486 and my current GPA is a 3.2.

As far as it goes for taking the MCAT I would say keep studying using practice exams and if you can look up the answers that you missed and learn from them. That always helps me learn. I also used flashcards and found them helpful. When you go to take the exam be confident, don't second guess yourself!

As far as it goes for taking the MCAT I would say keep studying using practice exams and if you can look up the answers that you missed and learn from them. That always helps me learn. I also used flashcards and found them helpful. When you go to take the exam be confident, don't second guess yourself!
Thank you so much for sharing! I’m def going to take your advice! 🙏🏾

Hi
I'm starting the program this fall!
In terms of starting your 3rd-year rotations do you happen to know if the rotation is all in Cleveland?

Hi
I'm starting the program this fall!
In terms of starting your 3rd-year rotations do you happen to know if the rotation is all in Cleveland?
Yup all third year rotations are in the Cleveland area. 4th year is when you get the chance to go out to different areas if you choose.

I’m interviewing here soon! How do I prepare, I’m so nervous !!!

I’m interviewing here soon! How do I prepare, I’m so nervous !!!
Congratulations!!! It is good to be nervous but let me start by saying don't be nervous! I know it is easier said than done but the interview process is more about getting to know you as a person rather then grilling you.

My biggest advice would be to be yourself 100%! Other than being yourself it is good to have things prepared when they do ask you a question. I think I remember for my interview they asked me why I chose Podiatry and why Kent State. They asked me if I had to give an elevator speech to someone who doesn't know what Podiatry is what would I say? (an elevator speech is just a short 30 seconds). Have some questions ready. They like when you ask them questions as well. The interview time is also a time for you to interview the school as well. They are trying to impress you as much as you are trying to impress them! You can find practice questions online and I would recommend finding some and just practicing with a friend or family member! (I put a link to one site I thought had some good questions)

Lastly, dress professional (from head to toe). I think interviews are still online and yes they can only see you from the chest up BUT some people are asking that you stand up and show your full outfit. It's just professional and they want to know you are taking this seriously!

Feel free to ask any more questions if you need anything! and Good luck! remember to smile! :)

Reactions: 3 users

Can I ask how are you performing academically? I had 3.7 cGPA and 487 mcat and was kinda worried if pod med school would be a struggle (I don’t like to think that mcat determines if ima pass board etc)

Can I ask how are you performing academically? I had 3.7 cGPA and 487 mcat and was kinda worried if pod med school would be a struggle (I don’t like to think that mcat determines if ima pass board etc)
When I first started I was told that pod school is very different from undergrad. When you start school everyone is pretty much starting at the same level. sure some people might have more experience then others but in terms of learning the material everyone starts out together. There are people who have 4.0 from undergrad who do really well but but there are others who don't do as well. The same goes for just the opposite, people with a lower gpa might end up doing really well! The mcat does not determine how you will preform on the boards. It might give you an indication on how well you do taking exams but the material is very different. To me the mcat is about can you take an exam and boards is more about do you know the material.

If you have a 3.7 GPA, then why the 487 MCAT?

There is no reason anyone should be scoring in the 480s if they put in work to study for the exam. I would highly advise re-taking the MCAT. With a good schedule and resources, you can do a lot better. In terms of the correlation between the MCAT and board exams, numerous studies have been done comparing undergrad stats like GPAs and the MCAT to that of USMLE Step 1. I know we take the APMLE, but I'm just writing it here if you want to read up more on it.

Here is an old study so give it a read, there are other newer ones if you google them:

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No excuse for that score. You could make a premed take it, who's never prepped for the MCAT before, and they'll score a 487.

What was your sGPA? That is more accurate than cGPA.

This isn't a cake walk. If you're worried about starting school knowing your current stats, you do not have the discipline or study skills to get in and stay in.

Coming from someone who scored a 487 the first time without any prep.
If reading this made you angry- good. Start working on what you're weak at.

If you have a 3.7 GPA, then why the 487 MCAT?

There is no reason anyone should be scoring in the 480s if they put in work to study for the exam. I would highly advise re-taking the MCAT. With a good schedule and resources, you can do a lot better. In terms of the correlation between the MCAT and board exams, numerous studies have been done comparing undergrad stats like GPAs and the MCAT to that of USMLE Step 1. I know we take the APMLE, but I'm just writing it here if you want to read up more on it.

Here is an old study so give it a read, there are other newer ones if you google them:

Good luck!
I definitely don’t think I gave it my best. Thanks for your input

No excuse for that score. You could make a premed take it, who's never prepped for the MCAT before, and they'll score a 487.

What was your sGPA? That is more accurate than cGPA.

This isn't a cake walk. If you're worried about starting school knowing your current stats, you do not have the discipline or study skills to get in and stay in.

Coming from someone who scored a 487 the first time without any prep.
If reading this made you angry- good. Start working on what you're weak at.
My bio gpa was 3.78
My science cGPA was 3.51
But thanks for your input! Fyi, I got multiple acceptances :) I was just curious if there’s a correlation between mcat and pod med school gpa

Hi! Not sure if you're still watching this thread, but I plan to apply to Kent soon! I'm thinking it's going to be my top choice, so I have a few questions:

1. Is attendance mandatory (disregarding any COVID disruptions)?

2. Do you feel good about your choice in school? What do you like/dislike about Kent as opposed to other schools you might hear about?

3. Hiking is 100% my biggest stress reliever and I'm curious to know if there are any hiking/walking trails close to the school! Bonus points if you know how close the nearest one is :) I had a hiking trail right behind my college and it was a major lifesaver for me in times of stress.

4. What are your relationships like with other students? Are there a lot of clubs to participate in?

Hi! Not sure if you're still watching this thread, but I plan to apply to Kent soon! I'm thinking it's going to be my top choice, so I have a few questions:

1. Is attendance mandatory (disregarding any COVID disruptions)?

2. Do you feel good about your choice in school? What do you like/dislike about Kent as opposed to other schools you might hear about?

3. Hiking is 100% my biggest stress reliever and I'm curious to know if there are any hiking/walking trails close to the school! Bonus points if you know how close the nearest one is :) I had a hiking trail right behind my college and it was a major lifesaver for me in times of stress.

4. What are your relationships like with other students? Are there a lot of clubs to participate in?
I'm in my 4th year but figured I'd answer--

1. Most classes don't have mandatory attendance. Some pod focused classes do. Need to be there if there are presentations, quizzes, exams, etc.

2. Yes. Laid back, supportive staff. Overall pretty fun. Felt like I was pretty well prepared for externships/rotations. Not a cut throat environment.

3. Lots of hiking nearby. Tons of metro parks that are close. Cuyahoga Falls/Akron/Cleveland has a lot of trails. There is a towpath within ~5 min of the school (towards Canal Rd).

4. Good relationships with other students. It gets better as the years progress. Big class sizes so plenty of opportunity to find the group you fit in best with. Lots of clubs. Lots of extracurricular activities. Running clubs and other active groups.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck :)

I'm in my 4th year but figured I'd answer--

1. Most classes don't have mandatory attendance. Some pod focused classes do. Need to be there if there are presentations, quizzes, exams, etc.

2. Yes. Laid back, supportive staff. Overall pretty fun. Felt like I was pretty well prepared for externships/rotations. Not a cut throat environment.

3. Lots of hiking nearby. Tons of metro parks that are close. Cuyahoga Falls/Akron/Cleveland has a lot of trails. There is a towpath within ~5 min of the school (towards Canal Rd).

4. Good relationships with other students. It gets better as the years progress. Big class sizes so plenty of opportunity to find the group you fit in best with. Lots of clubs. Lots of extracurricular activities. Running clubs and other active groups.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck :)
Thank you!! I feel like Kent would be a really great place for me :)) I've heard a lot about it being a really friendly environment, which also sounds nice. And I LOVE that there's a towpath that close! Thanks again!

I know this is not very common in Podiatry schools, but are there any international rotations during the clinical years?

What do you mean by that? International medical students rotating with podiatry students?
No, I meant opportunities for podiaty students to work in other countries (perhaps see pathologies that may not be as common in the US)

No, I meant opportunities for podiaty students to work in other countries (perhaps see pathologies that may not be as common in the US)

As a student, you may get an opportunity or two (depending on the program you attend) to visit another country from your clubs. I know of few State associations that travel and do these 'doctors without border' cases in specific parts of the world. Other than those, you probably will not get time to travel during your time as a student. Also, most of these trips have been canceled due to covid.

I know this is not very common in Podiatry schools, but are there any international rotations during the clinical years?
My year it was cancelled due to COVID, but Kent sends some students to Italy (99% sure it’s Italy anyway) to work with an alumni podiatrist there.