Third Year at TUSPM, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot_Girl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to provide insight on what going to school at Temple is like!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
do you have any general pros and cons? things you’ve loved or hated? how do you feel your education has been in comparison to other schools?

Reactions: 1 user
What is your favorite thing about Temple as a program and what is your least favorite? How do you like philly as a place to live. I am really interested in TUSPM and want to get current students opinions!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you have any general pros and cons? things you’ve loved or hated? how do you feel your education has been in comparison to other schools?
Pros: clinicians are very knowledgeable and we have our own foot and ankle institute with different departments. You'll see a variety of patients because you're in a city. I think overall, if you put in the time and study, the classes aren't too terribly hard and you'll pass. I think the big three topics for boards: pharm, micro, and LEA are taught very well here. There are resources passed down from class to class like study guides that previous students made that are super helpful. When you make it to clinic the clinicians are very good about making sure you get as much hands on exposure as possible and basically make you feel like you're the doctor and these are your patients. It's also historically a bigger class compared to other podiatry schools, however I'm not so sure about that this year, but I feel like it gives you a pretty good opportunity to make a couple of friends- because believe me, you're gonna need it. Having a support group is key.

Cons: Our school does not give a month or two off to study for boards after second year, it's only 2 weeks. Classes ended late May but we were put in clinic for two weeks then got to take the two weeks off to study. I have experienced mixed things in regards to covid, I have had some professors still give out zeros for quizzes or attendance if you get covid and can't make it to class- so basically I feel like it encourages people to still come in and just not say anything because they don't want a zero. Although, some clinicians take it very seriously and encourage you not to come in if you have covid.

*Not a con, but I do not think anyone should attend this school if you want your hand held or expect the school to carry you through 4 years of podiatric schooling. We lost almost 20 people in my class since starting in fall 2020. You are an adult, therefore you're treated like one here. Don't want to study and put some time in for school? Cool, you'll fail out. It's like having a job. Don't want to work at your job? Cool, you lost your job.

What is your favorite thing about Temple as a program and what is your least favorite? How do you like philly as a place to live. I am really interested in TUSPM and want to get current students opinions!
I had the choice between NYCPM, KSUPM, and TUSPM. I chose TUSPM mostly for location and I completed a winter internship program there. I wasn't really keen on living in Harlem for NYCPM because I had never been to that part of NY. Didn't go to KSUPM because Independence, Ohio didn't really sound appealing to me, and as someone from the south, I was worried about driving in snow and enduring that kind of weather. Temple, however, was a good fit. I didn't have to bring a car. I live a 10 min walk from school and there are multiple neighborhoods that are pretty safe. The school is in center city and not where the main campus or health science campus is, which makes a HUGE difference. Lots of food, night life, and activities here for younger people.
My favorite part of TUSPM: I think we have a really strong clinic and the school prepares you to stand out when you go on externships your fourth year. Clinicians really make an effort to transform you into a strong and confident student doctor.
My least favorite part of TUSPM: there are a couple classes I could list that were poorly organized my second year and it was basically like if you didn't have a back exam from years past you were going to do poorly. Just thought it was unfair and I really do believe sometimes it comes down to who you know. Felt like it really pushed some people up that didn't necessarily put the time in like others.

Reactions: 1 users
Every school's curriculum is different, but do you get summers off?

Are most of your rotations in PA or the northeast, or can you go anywhere in the country?

Are most of your rotations in PA or the northeast, or can you go anywhere in the country?
Your fourth year "rotations" are known as externships and you can go anywhere for those- there is a list on CASPR I believe. You can see residency requirements for each program as well.

Quick question. How long after an interview do you usually hear back? My interview was on a Monday.

Quick question. How long after an interview do you usually hear back? My interview was on a Monday.
Pretty quick turn around. Probably within a couple of days, at least from my experience.

1. What is the typical day to day schedule for first and second year?

2. How often are you on campus and how are the living conditions?

3. Are didactic lectures mandatory in-person attendance?

4. Did you feel that the quality of the curriculum was solid for boards? Overall did you feel that the courses were taught well and do exams reflect what was taught?

5. How does the grading structure work and how often are exams?

6. About how many hours a day did you typically study and how did you spend your (non-exam) weekends?

Just want to be as informed as possible before deciding on a school, if you have any other insights please share. Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it.

1. What is the typical day to day schedule for first and second year?

2. How often are you on campus and how are the living conditions?

3. Are didactic lectures mandatory in-person attendance?

4. Did you feel that the quality of the curriculum was solid for boards? Overall did you feel that the courses were taught well and do exams reflect what was taught?

5. How does the grading structure work and how often are exams?

6. About how many hours a day did you typically study and how did you spend your (non-exam) weekends?

Just want to be as informed as possible before deciding on a school, if you have any other insights please share. Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it.
Hey there, I'm a 2nd year at Temple so I thought I could answer some of your questions.

1. Our class schedules are staggered and that is particularly helpful 1st year. Fall of your first year you start out with one class everyday and as the semester goes on they gradually add a few more. I think most they take at once is 4 classes. 1st years generally have either class or anatomy lab until 4/5pm. 2nd semester of 1st year has a few days a week when you only have class til noon. 2nd year we've had class until noon most days up until this point in the semester when a few more classes got added in. We are currently take 5 classes and will start the 6th class in a couple weeks. 2nd semester is significantly less heavy but that is because we will be studying for boards.

2. If you are going to class everyday, which mandatory, then you should generally be on campus for some amount of time M-F. In terms of living conditions, are you referring to the dorms? I live off campus so I can't comment on living in the dorms but I have a few friends who live there but generally most people live in an apartment or something nearby.

3. Lectures are mandatory.

4. I haven't taken boards yet but so far I believe the quality we are taught it very good and will be sufficient. We also take a class 2nd semester of 2nd year to help with board prep. Yes, I feel that generally all classes were taught well and testing reflected that.

5. What do you mean by how does the grading structure work? 1st year there may be a few weeks where you have one exam every week but I would say generally for 1st year they're about every other week. First semester of 2nd year there is one exam every week for the entire semester. One thing that is really nice that I haven't heard if other schools do, is the faculty will allow the class to petition to move exam dates. For example if your schedule comes out and you see you have 2 exams in one week and no exams the week before or after then your class rep can approach one of those profs and see if they would be okay to move their exam. If they say yes (they almost always say yes if it's a reasonable request), then you send out a survey to the whole class and if majority votes to change it then they will. I thought that was cool when I started here.

6. I would say most people study on average 8-10 hours a day. For myself, that includes non-exam weekends. Even though you don't have an exam the following week, there is likely still stuff you need to study. That being said, it is VERY important to take time off to do something non-school related. I almost always take off Friday afternoons. Sometimes I will do nothing and just watch tv or I will hang out with friends, really just anything to kind of reset your mind so to hold off the burn out as long as possible lol.

Hope that was helpful!

Reactions: 4 users
Your fourth year "rotations" are known as externships and you can go anywhere for those- there is a list on CASPR I believe. You can see residency requirements for each program as well.

It doesn’t need to be a CASPR program. Those are residencies only, which are important to visit. But you can create other valuable opportunities as well.

My 4th year I did an international rotation in Manchester UK at the Diabetic Foot Infirmary and a research apprenticeship in peripheral neuropathy at the Mayo Clinic Rochester.

It’s the only time in your career you’ll realistically have the flexibility travel and spend considerable time with mentors.