KYCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optomgirl96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I️ have an interview with KYCO coming up soon and I️ wanted to know what kinds of questions they asked. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone
I️ have an interview with KYCO coming up soon and I️ wanted to know what kinds of questions they asked. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hopefully I can help!
Some questions I recall are:
1) Why did you choose optometry?
2) What makes you interested in KYCO?
3) Tell me about yourself
4) What can you contribute to KYCO?
There were maybe one or two other simple questions that I can't recall. The interview was a bit more serious than two other interviews I had but the staff is very caring. I actually found myself searching for words (something I had no problem with in previous interviews) and the two people interviewing asked me to take a breather and collect my thoughts. Remember, you received an invitation for an interview. The school is interested in you. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully I can help!
Some questions I recall are:
1) Why did you choose optometry?
2) What makes you interested in KYCO?
3) Tell me about yourself
4) What can you contribute to KYCO?
There were maybe one or two other simple questions that I can't recall. The interview was a bit more serious than two other interviews I had but the staff is very caring. I actually found myself searching for words (something I had no problem with in previous interviews) and the two people interviewing asked me to take a breather and collect my thoughts. Remember, you received an invitation for an interview. The school is interested in you. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Thank You so much for your help! this was really helpful. I totally understand how you feel, I get really nervous at interviews but hopefully i can get it together for this one. Do you know how long they get back to you with an answer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad I could help! KYCO will offer their decision immediately. Once everything is over and you begin to leave Casey Price (the admissions guy) will hand you a packet with program information and a decision inside. Obviously they don't want you opening it until you've left the campus because not every student will be accepted. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Glad I could help! KYCO will offer their decision immediately. Once everything is over and you begin to leave Casey Price (the admissions guy) will hand you a packet with program information and a decision inside. Obviously they don't want you opening it until you've left the campus because not every student will be accepted. Any other questions feel free to ask.

What was the vibe like in the interview room. I've heard its panel style, but how are questions asked, and by how many interviewers? Additionally, did they bring up academics and grades with you?

What was the vibe like in the interview room. I've heard its panel style, but how are questions asked, and by how many interviewers? Additionally, did they bring up academics and grades with you?

It is panel style but with only two people. One person will be from the admissions staff and the other will likely be a professor. Both persons will ask questions, and the vibe is very welcoming. They genuinely want to get to know you so if there's a question that your struggling with they'll help you out. The two person panel is definitely not trying to grill you, lol. Lastly, they did bring up grades. I averaged a 3.4 GPA and earned a 2.3? GPA my last semester due to rooming with a criminal roommate which I let the interviewers know. My biggest advice is to simply be honest. Good luck!

It is panel style but with only two people. One person will be from the admissions staff and the other will likely be a professor. Both persons will ask questions, and the vibe is very welcoming. They genuinely want to get to know you so if there's a question that your struggling with they'll help you out. The two person panel is definitely not trying to grill you, lol. Lastly, they did bring up grades. I averaged a 3.4 GPA and earned a 2.3? GPA my last semester due to rooming with a criminal roommate which I let the interviewers know. My biggest advice is to simply be honest. Good luck!

Great information, you're the best!
Another Q I wanted to get to - was any info from your personal statement/letters of recommendation used to conduct the interview?

Great information, you're the best!
Another Q I wanted to get to - was any info from your personal statement/letters of recommendation used to conduct the interview?
I can't recall for sure about that. I THINK I was asked about the optometrist I work for who happens to have wrote one of my letters. However, I don't remember any questions specifically from my personal statement or other letters.

Thank you for all your help!

During my interview at KYCO we had 3 people on the panel, 2 faculty and 1 student currently in the program. They all asked questions, but nothing that you wouldn't expect. I don't remember them asking about grades, but they did ask about the research that I did in undergrad so anything in your application could be brought up.

During my interview at KYCO we had 3 people on the panel, 2 faculty and 1 student currently in the program. They all asked questions, but nothing that you wouldn't expect. I don't remember them asking about grades, but they did ask about the research that I did in undergrad so anything in your application could be brought up.
Do you remember any questions that they asked you? I am trying to be best prepared

I think some of them were-
What are you looking for in an optometry school?
Why Kentucky?
What do you like most about the field of optometry?

Nothing really stood out as a question that I didn't expect. I think if you have answers to everything talked about in this forum you'll be prepared for your interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I think some of them were-
What are you looking for in an optometry school?
Why Kentucky?
What do you like most about the field of optometry?

Nothing really stood out as a question that I didn't expect. I think if you have answers to everything talked about in this forum you'll be prepared for your interview.
Thank you so much!

Was the panel interested in hearing why you prefer this field rather than Ophthalmology? ...thanks!

I was told they ask to explain the difference between optician, optometry and ophthalmology; but i guess that may be a follow up question.

I hope your interview went well (assuming you already had it). I'm currently a first year student at KYCO, and I love it here! I've seen a few of the interview groups show up recently, and I remember what it was like being in your shoes. Depending on who conducted your interview, the experience and questions asked could be highly variable. The general ones mentioned above were similar to what they asked me last year, and my experience was pretty relaxed. Some professors are more laid back than others, but as with any interview, come with confidence and an attitude that you are 100% committed to the program and you should do fine. If you have any weak points in your application, be prepared to address them, and try to spin it off and emphasize your strong points as well as why you know you will be successful here. After all, you were selected out of tons applicants to be here, so the proving yourself part is already finished.

This region in Appalachia is highly under served, and there is a huge amount of poverty due to the coal mining industry being shut down. Along with that comes a huge demand for eye care as this region has been called the blindest in the nation. With that being said I'm sure you know it's KYCO's mission to reach out and serve this community, and our clinics are being set up within locations in a pretty large radius around the school so that we can get out there and serve those needs. So for anyone interviewing here, come with the mindset that you are on board to serve KYCO's mission, and let the faculty know that you want to be a part of that mission. KYCO is a great place to be, and Pikeville offers some of the most beautiful scenery and an experience that you will never forget. But where ever you end up, I wish you the best!

Wait...What is KYCO? This is a new Optometry school?