KYCOM Vs. VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usa1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts please? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well it depends on the VCOM campus. As I understand it VC > CC > Auburn. I would go to the VCOM or CC over KYCOM. I would take KYCOM over Auburn.

Overall the programs are similar at all 3 VCOM campuses but here is the difference: rotations and ECs. So the VC is obviously the stronghold here, its where VCOM started. If you go to that campus you dont have to move far (if at all) for rotations which is nice, you have very strong research and clinical connections with VT which is nice, and the location is strong. For the CC you are still close enough to share some of the rotations, but you will likely have a higher chance of moving. You obviously dont have VT next door but the CC is technically in the research triangle so you should have some other opportunities for research and such if you are willing to drive half an hour. The state overall is dramatically under staffed physician wise which could be good residency and/or job wise later, but I dont know much about that. I think there is a reason why there is such a lack of physicians. The Auburn campus is very new, very far away from VCOM's strong rotations which kind of sucks, and overall is sort of in the middle of nowhere - sure it has Columbus not too far, but overall its kind of small compared to the other two locations.

KYCOM obviously has some religious affiliation if that turns you on or off. It is obviously much more rural so that could be a deciding factor if you are married and your spouse needs to find work or whatever. There is likely to be little research opportunities there since it is in the middle of nowhere. While both VCOM and KYCOM are mission oriented to rural primary care, KYCOM will likely cause more strain on forcing you into that role simply because they physically dont have opportunities for more urban stuff. VCOM VC and CC at least have some larger cities nearby and stuff like that so you can at least have opportunities for rotations in larger hospitals (if you so choose), as well as research.

Overall I would say just go with whatever gives more opportunity and then decide on what you want later (rural vs urban). I think VCOM VC is best, then CC, then KYCOM, then Auburn.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to write that. I was actually specifically asking about the Auburn campus and here's why- I like that there will be many possibilities for sports medicine as that will be one of their key focuses. I also like the idea of being affiliated with Auburn, as that is a huge name. Lastly, I know that their rotation sites will be with the VA and CC campuses which is not ideal, but kycom also makes you travel quite far for rotations. The only huge issue with Auburn is being a part of an inaugural class. I don't know if that will be a huge mistake.
Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the good news is that because they are a part of a larger entity (VCOM), the fact that they are inaugural does not effect as much as it would at a like brand new school. They will use the things that they know work over at the other campuses. So at least on that front, its not a bad deal. You still get the VCOM name on your diploma regardless.

Hmm yea the more I think about it, I guess if I was in your shoes I would probably take Auburn over KYCOM... thats definitely a tough decision though. But you make a good point, that you will likely travel regardless, at least with VCOM you know their rotations are already solid. I have heard mixed things about KYCOM - some say they are great, some had terrible experiences.

Hmm yea the more I think about it, I guess if I was in your shoes I would probably take Auburn over KYCOM... thats definitely a tough decision though. But you make a good point, that you will likely travel regardless, at least with VCOM you know their rotations are already solid. I have heard mixed things about KYCOM - some say they are great, some had terrible experiences.

Ya, I liked KYCOM but definitely not how rural it is. Auburn, however, is a very nice area. Also, I think the opportunity to specialize at vcom is so much stronger over KYCOM which completely pushes primary care. Thanks for your input, it is definitely a tough call. As you can probably notice I'm leaning more towards VCOM simply because of the sports medicine focus, better area, and also I am thinking of the possibilities of being part of an inaugural class (starting clubs, etc.). I hope I will be making the right choice. Kycom seemed very nice but doesn't seem to get much love on student doctor.

Yea in the end go with your gut. I dont think you will get a massive amount of people that would push for you to go in one direction vs another. Its not like PCOM vs LUCOM or something heh... They are both good schools but I think you should follow your instincts here with VCOM, thats how it sounds at least.

Go to the school that does not have mandatory attendance.

Reactions: 2 users
I just saw too that I have another reason to love VCOM-Auburn.... rotations abroad, specifically El Salvador where I can use my Spanish major and also that I've already been to El Salvador twice for mission trips. Boom, auburn is looking better and better

Well it depends on the VCOM campus. As I understand it VC > CC > Auburn. I would go to the VCOM or CC over KYCOM. I would take KYCOM over Auburn.

Overall the programs are similar at all 3 VCOM campuses but here is the difference: rotations and ECs. So the VC is obviously the stronghold here, its where VCOM started. If you go to that campus you dont have to move far (if at all) for rotations which is nice, you have very strong research and clinical connections with VT which is nice, and the location is strong. For the CC you are still close enough to share some of the rotations, but you will likely have a higher chance of moving. You obviously dont have VT next door but the CC is technically in the research triangle so you should have some other opportunities for research and such if you are willing to drive half an hour. The state overall is dramatically under staffed physician wise which could be good residency and/or job wise later, but I dont know much about that. I think there is a reason why there is such a lack of physicians. The Auburn campus is very new, very far away from VCOM's strong rotations which kind of sucks, and overall is sort of in the middle of nowhere - sure it has Columbus not too far, but overall its kind of small compared to the other two locations.

KYCOM obviously has some religious affiliation if that turns you on or off. It is obviously much more rural so that could be a deciding factor if you are married and your spouse needs to find work or whatever. There is likely to be little research opportunities there since it is in the middle of nowhere. While both VCOM and KYCOM are mission oriented to rural primary care, KYCOM will likely cause more strain on forcing you into that role simply because they physically dont have opportunities for more urban stuff. VCOM VC and CC at least have some larger cities nearby and stuff like that so you can at least have opportunities for rotations in larger hospitals (if you so choose), as well as research.

Overall I would say just go with whatever gives more opportunity and then decide on what you want later (rural vs urban). I think VCOM VC is best, then CC, then KYCOM, then Auburn.

I just wanted to comment on the religious affiliation with KYCOM (accepted in September). Disclaimer: my opinion only.

From the time I spent at the school on interview day, I couldn't tell you if there was a religious affiliation or not. It was only after Awesome Sauceome mentioned it that I even began to think about any affiliation. I believe there is a Psalm on the sign in front of the school. Other than that, I felt no religious overtones whatsoever. It wasn't mentioned in any of the briefings nor did any of my interviewers bring up anything remotely close to religion. If you are die hard primary care, KYCOM is definitely a great place to be. It is incredibly inviting and very family oriented. All of the staff I interacted went out of their way to make sure I had all the information I needed.

Now when compared to Auburn, I think location alone is night and day. There is no doubt that Pikeville is more secluded/rural than Auburn. However, KYCOM does have some good research opportunities that can be pursued during the school year or during summer breaks. From what I recall from the interview, they do have paid research opportunities available during the summer. I didn't really explore the research opportunities at Auburn, but granted it's a very large university with multiple professional schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to comment on the religious affiliation with KYCOM (accepted in September). Disclaimer: my opinion only.

From the time I spent at the school on interview day, I couldn't tell you if there was a religious affiliation or not. It was only after Awesome Sauceome mentioned it that I even began to think about any affiliation. I believe their is a Psalm on the sign in front of the school. Other than that, I felt no religious overtones whatsoever. It wasn't mentioned in any of the briefings nor did any of my interviewers bring up anything remotely close to religion. If you are die hard primary care, KYCOM is definitely a great place to be. It is incredibly inviting and very family oriented. All of the staff I interacted went out of their way to make sure I had all the information I needed.

Now when compared to Auburn, I think location alone is night and day. There is no doubt that Pikeville is more secluded/rural than Auburn. However, KYCOM does have some good research opportunities that can be pursued during the school year or during summer breaks. From what I recall from the interview, they do have paid research opportunities available during the summer. I didn't really explore the research opportunities at Auburn, but granted it's a very large university with multiple professional schools.

I agree with the whole religious affiliation thing. I am admittedly not religious at all, yet felt completely at home at KYCOM on interview day. Aside from the psalm, there was no way of knowing it had any religious affiliation. A lot of phenomenal medical schools have religious affiliations (think Georgetown), yet it doesn't mean they are all as 'pushy' as LUCOM.

Lol

From the time I spent at the school on interview day, I couldn't tell you if there was a religious affiliation or not. It was only after Awesome Sauceome mentioned it that I even began to think about any affiliation. I believe their is a Psalm on the sign in front of the school. Other than that, I felt no religious overtones whatsoever. It wasn't mentioned in any of the briefings nor did any of my interviewers bring up anything remotely close to religion. If you are die hard primary care, KYCOM is definitely a great place to be. It is incredibly inviting and very family oriented. All of the staff I interacted went out of their way to make sure I had all the information I needed.

Thanks for the information. Would you say Auburn is likely to push primary care too? Also, did you like the faculty you met at auburn?
Thanks

I think in "general terms", most of osteopathy is geared towards primary care. Being in Alabama, one focus is on primary care. I don't think it is emphasized as much as KYCOM but their outreach programs and mission trips definitely seem to support the rural/underserved/primary care emphasis.

The professors were great. I made mention before that these individuals left their careers to basically establish a brand new medical school. I interviewed with a DO and PhD and they really sold the school to me. The campus looks like it will be beautiful when completed and the building will obviously be brand new.
Well I'm definitely excited now, my interview there is next week