LA Commutes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormshadow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, i'm wondering if the LA folks could give me and my SO some help with figuring out commute times between the following places:
harbor-ucla (torrance) - CHLA (sunset blvd off 101)
harbor-ucla - UCLA (westwood)
UCLA - CHLA

i know they all suck, but was wondering relatively speaking which suck less.
lovin' the couples match.

Members don't see this ad.

stormshadow said:
hey all, i'm wondering if the LA folks could give me and my SO some help with figuring out commute times between the following places:
harbor-ucla (torrance) - CHLA (sunset blvd off 101)
harbor-ucla - UCLA (westwood)
UCLA - CHLA

i know they all suck, but was wondering relatively speaking which suck less.
lovin' the couples match.

the only one that seems doable is UCLA-CHLA. torrance and your other two are going to be painful (i would say equally painful). the 110/405 are no fun any time of the day so the commute is going to suck. good luck. hope you get UCLA - CHLA. :D

I speak from personal experience when I say that the harbor-ucla -> chla commute is awful! First let me say that I'm not a native So Cal person so my knowledge of that area is only based on the two months that I spent out there doing away electives.

Anyway, my SO and I did rotations at those hospitals in the fall (and we lived about 5 miles from CHLA) and it took him almost an hour and a half to get back and forth from harbor each day. His exact words were "there is no way I could do this for three years." We're actually not ranking that combination. But I think that harbor - ucla would be more bearable (I hope so) and UCLA-CHLA would definitely not be as bad cause you could live somewhere in the middle.

Hope that helps! I definitely understand your frustration with the couples match!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience living in Santa Monica (5-10 minutes from main UCLA campus) and commuting to CHLA. In the mornings (around 7am) would take about 45-50 minutes using either surface streets (mainly taking Santa Monica Blvd across) or freeway (10-->101) and a little more in the afternoon (4-5ish) going home (freeway better). I commonly was able to finish an entire CD on one leg of a commute, so make sure you stockpile a large collection in your car.

yikes!

thanks for all the insight/tips!
as much as i liked harbor, it looks like ucla-ucla is the big winner. gotta keep my priorities straight: wife > residency. :)