LA County-Harbor-UCLA Medical Center Program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregfoti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has any sort of knowledge of about the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center Program? Anything would be very much appreciated, i.e. quality, teaching, resident happiness, post-grad jobs...

Thank you
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what one of the residents I know had to say... He's originally from California (Irvine for med school, I believe).

"The program is small, no call on wknds (but 5 during the weekdays). Pt population is varied, it is a county program. I'm not sure, but I think they do a fair amount of trauma (the ER program is one of the best in the country.) They got a new director several years ago so I don't know what he has done with the program but I heard he trying to revamp it. Overall it's okay but not one of the best. However, if you want to live in CA vs getting the absolute best, consider it."

Thanks Skrubz!...I appreciate it. Anyone else from Cali or whoever know anything??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
.....what about you sevoflurane???!! :horns: :eek:

Foti-

Congrats bro! :clap:
I don't have much to add besides the fact that it is sunny Cali-Style! My kid brother moved out to Santa Cruz 5 years ago and swears that he'll reside in California for the rest of his life. Hmmmm... I know UCLA-Harbor isn't SC but hell man... California has a lot to offer. There are many places North and South of UCLA-Harbor that I know you would like. Watch out for the infamous Californinan hepatic adenomas that seem to be pervasive. Just take a walk down huntignton beach and you'll see what I'm talking about. As far as the residency program goes... I only know what their website lets me know. Nevertheless... Congrats!

:D

With all the invites UCLA-Harbor has handed out this year, I hope they actually have a position to fill (see previous posts). I know im not putting all my eggs in that basket.

Have they sent out an unusually large amount of invites this year? I am currently going to interview there, but if another California school conflicts with it, it will probably be the first dropped off my schedule.

Hello,

Just interviewed there this past week.

Small program. This year 4 seats are up for grabs! The residency director states they will interview 120. The chief resident says the PD is a big resident advocate.

Very laid back residents. They work hard during the week, but have all holidays and weekends off! Great trauma exposure(only level one trauma in the South bay of LA).

Residents feel very confident in their ability upon graduation. The UCLA attachment seems to open doors to fellowship.

I could not believe that Harbor-UCLA is a county facility(in comparison to LAC-USC and King-Drew). It is actually in a safe location(Torrance). So safe that a few of the residents live within blocks of the med center.

Moonlighting on the weekends available starting at the end of CA-1.

Oh yeah surfs up here. A couple of the residents kept raving about the waves.

What can I say, its LA. If you have an interview at least come out west and enjoy the sunshine. Its worth the plane fare and you just might get in.

Peace and good luck to everyone