Lab Animal Medicine Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mytabbybesttabby

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a first year vet student interested in potentially pursuing a lab animal residency in the future. I saw there were a lot of programs that didn't match this year, and I was wondering, does that mean it's getting less and less competitive to get a residency? What are some reasons why a program would rather not match than to take someone that's not their top choice?

I also wanted to ask about the importance of GPA/class ranking for a LAM residency, as I've heard mixed views from different people!

Lastly, since I'm still debating between LAM and SA GP/ER, I would love to hear from fellow lab animal vets on why you love LAM!

Thanks everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my LAM residency last year. One major issue my residency site and one of our neighboring sites had regarding not matching the past couple of years was due to having very few applicants. If you look at the match data for 2023, there were only 37 LAM residency applicants; while in 2022 there were 48 and in 2021 there 61. The reason for this trend may be a mix of reasons, particularly cost/benefit and student experiences with LAM. Currently, while LAM is usually one of the better paid residencies and doesn't require an internship, the salary between being a LAM vet and a SA GP can actually be quite similar depending on location, experience, etc.. For example, I am in the process of changing jobs from LAM to SA GP/ER and will be making the same yearly salary. Additionally, with COVID limiting externships and rotation opportunities the past few years, I worry that this potentially diminished LAM's visibility as an opportunity within vet med and may have also dismayed potential applicants into not applying due to not gaining experience within the field.

As for GPA/class rank, this can matter depending on the program as some do have minimum qualification cut-offs. However, this is usually seen as one component with other things factoring in (letters of rec, personal statement, experiences, etc.) and again the weight of each can vary depending on the residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a first year vet student interested in potentially pursuing a lab animal residency in the future. I saw there were a lot of programs that didn't match this year, and I was wondering, does that mean it's getting less and less competitive to get a residency? What are some reasons why a program would rather not match than to take someone that's not their top choice?

I also wanted to ask about the importance of GPA/class ranking for a LAM residency, as I've heard mixed views from different people!

Lastly, since I'm still debating between LAM and SA GP/ER, I would love to hear from fellow lab animal vets on why you love LAM!

Thanks everyone! :)
:hello:

Hello there! I'm currently a lab animal vet and always happy to chat with anyone interested about the field. Golden Eagle already touched on a lot of it but basically, the number of applicants this year (and in the few years previous) have been trending downwards at an almost alarming rate. When I applied for residency I was told later that they received over 40 applicants for the position, this past year we only received 6 applicants (and didn't end up matching). In general yes this does mean that it will be slightly less competitive, however that doesn't mean we were still willing to accept anyone with a pulse and we did outright reject a couple of applicants due to personality issues or other concerns we saw in the application. We'd rather take no one than have a combative personality that will be impossible to work with for the next 3 years for example, or someone who might actually damage the reputation of the program or the department.

Importance of GPA or class rank is going to vary heavily on the program. Some programs just have a minimum GPA cutoff and once you meet that its no longer relevant, some factor it into their decision making/rank lists, and some don't care at all. Currently at our program its very minimally taken into account.

Some reasons why I love LAM: I get to work with a wide variety of species from monkeys to pigs to ferrets to mice and all sorts of things in between, I get to be an advocate for the welfare of the animals used in research, I don't have to deal with pet owners (just researchers, which have their own quirks), I have a pretty good work-life balance, and I get to be an integral part of the biomedical research community.

Again, always happy to answer any questions about the field or chat about it via DM etc.

I finished my LAM residency last year. One major issue my residency site and one of our neighboring sites had regarding not matching the past couple of years was due to having very few applicants. If you look at the match data for 2023, there were only 37 LAM residency applicants; while in 2022 there were 48 and in 2021 there 61. The reason for this trend may be a mix of reasons, particularly cost/benefit and student experiences with LAM. Currently, while LAM is usually one of the better paid residencies and doesn't require an internship, the salary between being a LAM vet and a SA GP can actually be quite similar depending on location, experience, etc.. For example, I am in the process of changing jobs from LAM to SA GP/ER and will be making the same yearly salary. Additionally, with COVID limiting externships and rotation opportunities the past few years, I worry that this potentially diminished LAM's visibility as an opportunity within vet med and may have also dismayed potential applicants into not applying due to not gaining experience within the field.

As for GPA/class rank, this can matter depending on the program as some do have minimum qualification cut-offs. However, this is usually seen as one component with other things factoring in (letters of rec, personal statement, experiences, etc.) and again the weight of each can vary depending on the residency program.
Thank you so much for your kind reply! Salary is the exact reason why I'm debating between LAM and SA GP/ER right now. Would it be okay if I ask, why are you switching to SA GP/ER after you gained your board certification in LAM?

:hello:

Hello there! I'm currently a lab animal vet and always happy to chat with anyone interested about the field. Golden Eagle already touched on a lot of it but basically, the number of applicants this year (and in the few years previous) have been trending downwards at an almost alarming rate. When I applied for residency I was told later that they received over 40 applicants for the position, this past year we only received 6 applicants (and didn't end up matching). In general yes this does mean that it will be slightly less competitive, however that doesn't mean we were still willing to accept anyone with a pulse and we did outright reject a couple of applicants due to personality issues or other concerns we saw in the application. We'd rather take no one than have a combative personality that will be impossible to work with for the next 3 years for example, or someone who might actually damage the reputation of the program or the department.

Importance of GPA or class rank is going to vary heavily on the program. Some programs just have a minimum GPA cutoff and once you meet that its no longer relevant, some factor it into their decision making/rank lists, and some don't care at all. Currently at our program its very minimally taken into account.

Some reasons why I love LAM: I get to work with a wide variety of species from monkeys to pigs to ferrets to mice and all sorts of things in between, I get to be an advocate for the welfare of the animals used in research, I don't have to deal with pet owners (just researchers, which have their own quirks), I have a pretty good work-life balance, and I get to be an integral part of the biomedical research community.

Again, always happy to answer any questions about the field or chat about it via DM etc.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful :) The reason you listed are the exact reasons why I'm interested in LAM, so that's very reassuring to hear! I can't wait to graduate so I can start working with animals, even though I'm only a first year haha

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your kind reply! Salary is the exact reason why I'm debating between LAM and SA GP/ER right now. Would it be okay if I ask, why are you switching to SA GP/ER after you gained your board certification in LAM?
Currently, I'm in the process of waiting to sit for boards (hoping to do so next Summer), so am technically not board certified yet. :giggle:As for my reasons to switch, there are a few. One, I was unhappy at the job I will be leaving and was looking for a new opportunity elsewhere. Additionally, I wanted to move closer to family/my fiancé and there were no LAM jobs currently available in that area. Plus, my anticipated work schedule for the GP clinic better fits what I and my family need at the moment. Lastly, part of me missed working with clinical patients and utilizing those skills. I'm hoping one day I can switch back to LAM fully or doing a hybrid of the two.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Currently, I'm in the process of waiting to sit for boards (hoping to do so next Summer), so am technically not board certified yet. :giggle:As for my reasons to switch, there are a few. One, I was unhappy at the job I will be leaving and was looking for a new opportunity elsewhere. Additionally, I wanted to move closer to family/my fiancé and there were no LAM jobs currently available in that area. Plus, my anticipated work schedule for the GP clinic better fits what I and my family need at the moment. Lastly, part of me missed working with clinical patients and utilizing those skills. I'm hoping one day I can switch back to LAM fully or doing a hybrid of the two.
That makes sense, thank you so much for your detailed reply!! I'm looking to do a hybrid of LAM and SA GP/ER too, and hopefully that works out for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I’m applying to schools this cycle but eventually want to end up in LAM as that’s what I’ve been working in for the past year+. Do you have any general advice for pursing LAM?

Hi! I’m applying to schools this cycle but eventually want to end up in LAM as that’s what I’ve been working in for the past year+. Do you have any general advice for pursing LAM?
Gain experiences that show you know what the field is about and network and make connections with current lab animal vets (preferably at least one boarded) that will be able to write good letters of reference for you when match time comes.

Happy to chat more if you ever want or have more specific questions :)