Lab Animal Residency and Backup Plan Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybutterfly1895

NCSU c/o 2022!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

So, I'm a third year veterinary student at NCSU and I'm looking for some advice about residencies and backup plans. I am lab animal focused and am planning on applying for lab animal residencies after vet school. My top choice is definitely Wake Forest, since I spent a summer there doing research and enjoyed the environment. With that said, I know that lab animal residencies are super competitive (especially for me since I want to stay in the southeast), so I'm currently trying to think of some backup plans. Does anyone know of any opportunities in research or public health that could be available for new grads? I personally don't like GP, but will do it as a last resort. Also, would it be wise to go ahead and apply for GP internships when applying for the match, in case things go south?

Also, how important is it to be a student/class officer? So, I done goofed; I was so focused on grades, research internships, and working on my networking skills, that I completely overlooked the importance of holding a leadership position :smack: . That said, I'm involved in student clubs and have showed leadership skills in other ways (gave presentations at the pre-vet club at my undergrad talking about vet school life and gave advice on how to be competitive). Will the lack of holding a student officer position hurt my virmp application in the future?

Also, what does the job market look like for lab animal vets? I know Covid-19 has probably affected the job market, but I want to get an idea of how it was in recent years. Was it a struggle to find a job or were there plenty of offers?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all!

So, I'm a third year veterinary student at NCSU and I'm looking for some advice about residencies and backup plans. I am lab animal focused and am planning on applying for lab animal residencies after vet school. My top choice is definitely Wake Forest, since I spent a summer there doing research and enjoyed the environment. With that said, I know that lab animal residencies are super competitive (especially for me since I want to stay in the southeast), so I'm currently trying to think of some backup plans. Does anyone know of any opportunities in research or public health that could be available for new grads? I personally don't like GP, but will do it as a last resort. Also, would it be wise to go ahead and apply for GP internships when applying for the match, in case things go south?

Also, how important is it to be a student/class officer? So, I done goofed; I was so focused on grades, research internships, and working on my networking skills, that I completely overlooked the importance of holding a leadership position :smack: . That said, I'm involved in student clubs and have showed leadership skills in other ways (gave presentations at the pre-vet club at my undergrad talking about vet school life and gave advice on how to be competitive). Will the lack of holding a student officer position hurt my virmp application in the future?

Also, what does the job market look like for lab animal vets? I know Covid-19 has probably affected the job market, but I want to get an idea of how it was in recent years. Was it a struggle to find a job or were there plenty of offers?

Hello :)

I applied for lab animal residencies and did not match (I graduated in 2015). I had geared my entire vet school experience heavily toward lab animal stuff and I was shocked and off-balance finding out I hadn't matched. Being a lab animal vet was all I had ever envisioned myself doing and like you, I wasn't really interested in GP work. However, I figured I could spend some time in GP and build my skills and then either reapply for residencies or apply for an open position. Unfortunately, that is not a very promising road. Essentially all open positions want someone residency trained, boarded (or "board eligible") or with prior lab animal experience as a DVM. Although I had a ton of lab animal experience, none of it was after graduation (aside from my days off where I went in and shadowed at a nearby institution.)

Another thing I had to consider: my salary as a GP was almost three times that of a resident; with large loans, it would have been really tough to give up that money. Only one program was remotely close to where my husband and I bought our house (also nearby to family) and he has a great job that we didn't want him to give up to move to a residency location.

So long story short, I spent five years in GP before finally finding a position that was willing to take me on. I am now a clinical lab animal vet :) For what it's worth, I was surprised at how rewarding GP work was overall. Yes, there are nasty clients and frustrating cases and money issues and practice managers and all that unpleasant stuff. However, it absolutely allowed me to build my confidence and skills as a vet and a lot of it has translated well to my work now.

My advice to you from this side of things:
- Don't limit yourself in location. Residency is three years long - you can live anywhere for that amount of time and if LAM is what you want to do, it's worth it to make that potential sacrifice for a few years to get your career off on the right foot. How upset would you be if you could have gotten a residency in another region but instead end up not matching?

- Networking is very important. I think this is where I fell short in my applications. Network like heck in the places you want to be to boost your chances there.

To answer your other questions:
- GP internships...I didn't do one and I'm of the opinion that you don't need one to be a good doctor. If you're aiming for a specialty (cardio, neuro, surgery, etc), it's going to be required. Is it going to launch you to the forefront of applicants for lab animal residencies? Not on its own, no.

- Research or public health positions for new grads...I feel like a lot of that depends on where you are, what you're interested in and what you're willing to do. I don't know that there's a lot out there for a brand new graduate, honestly, unless you end up pursuing a PhD (@Lab Vet can tell you more about that route.)

- Leadership positions...meh. That isn't going to be the thing that breaks an otherwise strong application. I wouldn't fret over it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all!

@that redhead covered a lot but I'll add my 2 cents. I did match straight into residency from vet school so I'll share from my perspective on it.

Figure out your top choices and visit there for 4th year externships if you can (COVID-willing). If you can't, do externships at places that have residency programs that will let you come just to keep getting experience and that networking. Even if you don't think you want to end up there, you may be surprised and someone there probably knows people at the places you do want to end up if that makes sense (it's a small field, at some point we all kind of know each other).

Apply broadly through the match but know what you're applying to. Some programs are 4+ years and include a PhD, some are only 2 years but assume you already have a first author publication under your belt. Figure out what you want and what you're willing to do for a residency and go with it. If you don't want to get a PhD (I sure didn't) don't apply to programs where that's a part of it. I'd also echo caution about geographically limiting yourself. If you NEED to for family or other reasons then you need to, but you can survive a location for 3ish years.

I would not bother applying to GP internships if your true goal is lab animal med. It was not considered a bonus at my residency (and some places may see it as a negative). There are lab animal internships and residency programs that operate outside the match, plus every year some programs don't match so you can play the gauntlet of the scramble if it comes to it (those were my back-up plans).

I don't think not having a leadership position is that big of a deal. Yes it looks nice on a resume, but it's not necessarily something people are looking for on the resume. It's more the whole picture, does this person have the classes and experiences that tell me they have been preparing for/want to be a lab animal vet? Do they have decent letters of rec from people in the field? Those are the more important things, plus GPA as most places will have at least a minimum cut off and may emphasize grades more or less depending on the program.

Job market is actually okay right now. I finished my residency program in June and was very geographically restricted in my job hunt due to wanting to move back closer to family after my residency and managed to get a job. That being said, a lot of places are/were on hiring freezes so it was quite a challenge for awhile to find positions, but again I was looking basically just in MN so that limited even potential options quite a bit. I did see many other postings though while I was looking and even had people reaching out to me about positions so the market is pretty good in general right now.

If you have any other questions or just want to chat about lab animal things my PM box is always open :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, I’m a current first year lab animal resident. I pretty much agree with everything that’s been said with regards to back up plans and importance of experiences and networking. I’d also like to add for externships that they can also be a good way to learn about other programs, since their faculty may have trained at another institution and can provide insight on what their training was like. Additionally, they can sometimes change what you want in a residency program. I ended up doing a rotation with NHPs, since I had no experience with them and was nervous about possibly encountering them in this field, and afterwards felt strongly about wanting a program where I can get more training with them. One thing I would mention when looking at considerations for residency is that not all programs take students every year and to be flexible with that in mind. Also, I have heard of people constrained by location applying narrowly with success, but I cannot say that that is often the case. In my case, while I wanted to move back closer to home (the Upper Midwest) after vet school and applied to some programs there, I chose my application sites based off other factors that were highly important to me (having NHPs, being clinically focused, good level of mentorship, etc.). In doing so, I ended up ranking the place I matched to higher than those that fit most of those criteria closer to home and am overall happy with how things have turned out. With regards to the job market, I can’t really say too much, since I’m not currently job hunting, but from what I’ve seen/heard it’s been fairly stable. As for what programs look for, that varies some, but mostly experience in this field and passion for it are key (particularly in personal statements, CV, and letters of recommendation) with extracurriculars and leadership being an extra sprinkle that may be of interest, but not a dealbreaker. If you have any other questions you want to ask, please feel free to message me!

Hey y'all!

Hi OP,

Greetings from a fellow NCSU CVM lab animal med alumni. I'm a recent grad, currently working my dream job as a clinical lab animal vet in industry. I had a bit of a rocky road to end up at my current position, but ended up landing on my feet- and then some. Things happen in life for a reason, and I'm confident to say that has certainly been true for my life and career.

I was a scientist long before I went to vet school. I was enrolled in a PhD program, and eventually walked with a Masters when I realized I really didn't love the lion's share of the work expected of an academic scientist (namely, writing grants and publishing manuscripts). Tough decision to walk away with all of the time/work I invested, but the right decision for me. I'm well over 10 years out from that decision and have no regrets. After leaving grad school, I held my first position in industry. Loved it and did very well- the private sector was a much better fit for my personality/goals than was academia. Unfortunately, the economy crashed and my company shuttered the entire division where I was employed (one of the risks of private sector work). This scenario replayed itself with a smaller, boutique company in a different part of the country (was bought/sold, and my position eliminated). I then spent a number of years at a large academic medical school before pursuing my dream to become a lab animal vet.

I returned to vet school in my 30s specifically with this goal in mind. I had no interest in pet parent facing practice (remember that ALL fields of vet med have 'clients'- lab animal included), and geared my entire vet school prep for a career in this field. I was shattered when I didn't score a residency in the match. Thanks to some very committed supporters in my corner, I did land a residency position external to the match prior to graduation. I relocated to begin the position, and things were going well for the first half of my tenure there. All the while, I was constantly watching the private sector job opportunities to chart the state of the job market. Just over a year into my residency, the perfect opportunity was advertised- it was the right location with the right company. Literally, my dream job. The stars very rarely align in such a perfect manner. Again, I made the difficult decision to bail on my residency in order to pursue this position. A big risk, to be sure. I was offered the position and prompty accepted. Relocated for the job and haven't looked back since. Despite the years this action set me back with respect to boards eligibility, I've got no regrets. Absolutely the right call. I'm 99.99% positive that had I waited until after I had completed my residency, the position would have been filled and out of reach. Sometimes, you just gotta jump to go after what you want.

I can't speak much for the academic job market, as that was never my focus. @KCgophervet can speak more to that (not sure what sector of field you work for, @that redhead). Entry level positions in industry tend to be a bit more forgiving of boards certification than academia is. The AV at my facility isn't ACLAM boarded, and has been with the company for a number of years. None of my clinical colleagues at my position are ACLAM boarded, either. I'm fully committed to taking my ACLAM boards, but won't be eligible for a number of years on account of bailing on my residency. I was published long before vet school, so the paper was never a problem for me. That's often a stumbling block for folks. It would be very tough (nearly impossible) to 'fit in' the time to complete a publication-worthy research paper during full time work in my position. If ACLAM boards are important to you (basically required for many academic jobs), I wouldn't recommend diving into an industry position without a publication under your belt.

Remember that your life is your own. There are lots of different paths up the mountain- sometimes it just takes some out of the box thinking and patience to get there. As for your questions:

-Back-up plans: If I was told that I would never be a lab animal vet, I planned to either 1) Work for the US government (first choice would have been as a VMO inspector for USDA APHIS Animal Care, second choice would have been in the VS division [either import/export, or disease surveillance], and third would have been FSIS) or 2) work in industry in a non-clinical position (either as a staff scientist, or in a management role overseeing in vivo activities). The answer to this question depends on a lot of factors -> what are your interests/talents/skills/work expeirence outside of vet med? What are you 'good' at when it comes to job role (vs. job title). There are loads of options out there for veterinarians. In another life, I may have ended up a rural livestock veterinarian.

-Leadership roles: Wouldn't matter to me at all if I were selecting residents. Whether you were the president of such and such a club for the sake of 'ticking a box' wouldn't impress me. Leadership is demonstrated in any number of different ways. From an industry perspective, employers are interested in the skills and competencies that you bring to the table. Can you do the job asked of you effectively, efficiently, and with as little drama as possible? What attributes are you bringing to the company that 1) complements the current team and 2) aligns with corporate objectives. What are your 'value adds' that the company can't live without.

-Job market: Depends on the sector and who you ask. Even within the private sector, there are all sorts of environments- contract research organization, global pharma, national biotech, startup pharma/biotech, production, safety assessment, etc. Even with a job that I love, I always have my finger on the pulse of what's out there. One thing I'll say about private sector work- it's very unpredictable, and can change on a dime. In an economic downturn, it's quite possible to lose your job in industry. The same is true with a corporate takeover (if your job happens to be one of those that is duplicated during a merger). That being said, it's always a good idea to keep an eye out. There are usually a handful of industry jobs out there. I've seen a few recently for more senior level folks (10-15 years experience). Entry level can be hard to come by. I definitely agree with my colleagues above- networking is key, no matter what the position. I completed an externship where I was eventually hired. I knew the hiring manager personally, and worked hard to establish other connections within the company. Networking can make or break your hire for a position.

-GP internships: Can't speak to this, as I didn't do one. I will say, though, that good GP skills will serve you well in lab animal. Currently, I describe my role in lab animal as a GP vet in a unique evironment with very specific rules of practice. Make no mistake about it- lab animal vets are generalists to the max. I see the same bread and butter cases that any GP veterinarian would see in private practice- lots of derm, lots of GI, decent amount of ophtho, fair bit of ortho/lameness, and quite a bit of neuro. I do loads of physical and neuro exams, and a decent amount of surgery. Although I can't say I'd go the internship route, spending a year or two getting your feet wet as a GP would be time well spent. If you were applying to my facility for an entry level job, I would see this as a definite boon on your application.

Four members of my class (myself + 3 of my classmates) ended up going the lab animal route. I entered residency/bailed for a job in industry, one just completed a residency and scored her first academic job, and two others are in their final year of residency (I believe bound for academia). If you're truly interested in the Wake program, there's a classmate of mine who's currently completing a path residency with the lab animal group at that institution- I could hook you up with some contact info if you'd be interested in his perspective. Remember also, that there are at least two lab animal internships that are not offered within the match (Tufts has one, as does the Univ. of Mississippi; the Univ. of Colorado at Boulder had one for a while as well).

Thanks for writing, hope that our responses are helpful. I'm a proud NCSU alumni, and love my life as a lab animal vet in industry. Couldn't be happier :) Let me know if I can help you out in any way.

Greetings! I am a current 4th year student applying for lab animal residencies this year (match application opens up tomorrow!!). If you have any questions about the process of applying just let me know. I'm interested in pursuing a program with a PhD option. It's been hard to network this year due to COVID. I had 6 places lined up to visit and looks like I'll be visiting 2 or 3 at most. Worried that it will hurt my chances but it can't be helped, A lot of places aren't allowing people to come and visit. I am also interested in the Wake Forest program but was unable to do an externship there. I'm currently working out what I'll be doing as a back up. A lab doing heart failure pig models has reached out to me as well as a large CRO in wanting to hire me out of vet school so I'm hoping I can do one of those routes if I don't end up matching. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Last edited:
Following! I'm a new applicant in the LAM pool and I have a so-so application. I just decided to apply to LAM residencies today but I've been interested in over a year and a half now. I'm interested in clinical LAM and will be applying to 10-ish or so places. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
What a great post with a lot of information! Thank you to everyone who responded.
I have an additional question for @Lab Vet , do you have a link(s) you could possibly share for the non-VIRMP internships offered in LAM that you mentioned? I am having a hard time finding information on them, particularly the one offered at TUFTS. Thank you!

What a great post with a lot of information! Thank you to everyone who responded.
I have an additional question for @Lab Vet , do you have a link(s) you could possibly share for the non-VIRMP internships offered in LAM that you mentioned? I am having a hard time finding information on them, particularly the one offered at TUFTS. Thank you!
ACLAM has a list on their website of all of the approved training programs. Not all of these are through the match and not all of them accept applicants every year (or even have a current program running) but it is a good place to start. Training Programs

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there:

@KCgophervet is correct. Not every training program offered is 'ACLAM accredited,' nor does every program accept applicants every year, nor does every program participate in the VIRMP match. See below for information from ASLAP (American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners) for information pertaining to the Tufts internship:

Tufts University. Don't be fooled by the 'current residencies' subdirectory in the web address. Read the actual description and you'll see that this program is an internship- not a residency. See text description of the Tufts program from a file I had saved listed below:

Laboratory Animal Surgery and Medicine Veterinary Internship at Tufts University

The Division of Laboratory Animal Medicine (DLAM) has an opening for a one-year veterinary internship in laboratory animal surgery and medicine at the Tufts University Health Sciences Campus/Tufts Medical Center, located in downtown Boston. We are seeking an enthusiastic veterinary graduate with an interest in laboratory animal medicine, a very strong interest in surgery, and excellent interpersonal skills. The internship will provide a solid foundation in laboratory animal medicine that will assist the candidate with obtaining a residency position or employment in the field. The intern will primarily support our Surgical and Interventional Research Laboratories (SIRL) facility. SIRL is a full-service surgical testing and training facility used by industry and academia for preclinical medical devices and diagnostic testing, specializing in prototype studies, new surgical techniques, product evaluation, comparative testing and physician training and demonstration.

The intern will also participate in other DLAM services, including the Animal Health Service, Comparative Pathology Services, and Animal Husbandry Service. The intern will have significant training and supervision initially and then will be expected to function autonomously with a senior veterinarian available for consultation. In addition, the intern will be required to present and attend seminars during the course of the year.

Tufts University/Tufts Medical Center is an AAALAC-accredited program with 4 veterinarians (including 2 ACLAM diplomates, 1 SRS veterinary surgeon, and 1 ACVP diplomate) who provide care for diverse species in a wide range of research fields. The candidate should possess a veterinary degree from an AVMA accredited veterinary school and licensure to practice in one state within the US. The expected salary will be ~$47,500 with full benefits and financial support to attend a national or regional conference. The term of the internship is 1-year.

The internship is an excellent opportunity for a veterinarian who has an interest in a career in laboratory animal medicine and surgery. Interested individuals should send a cover letter, CV, veterinary transcripts (unofficial copy is acceptable), and 3 letters of recommendation to:

Corinna Beale, DVM, SRS
Assistant Director, Surgical and Interventional Research Laboratories (SIRL)
Staff Veterinarian, Division of Laboratory Animal Medicine (DLAM)
Tufts Medical Center / Tufts University

T 617-636-4148
F 617-636-8354

[email protected] (Emailing Applications is preferred)

Completed applications will be reviewed April 2nd XXXX. The start date will be no later than July 9th XXXX and can be as early as May 1st. The anticipated end date will be the end of June XXXX, regardless of the start date.

For further information, please feel free to contact Dr. Beale at (617) 636-4148 or via e-mail at <[email protected]>.

Please note—we are unable to offer any assistance with housing in the Boston area.

as well as an internship at the University of Colorado at Denver:

. Ditto re: the comment 'residency subdirectory' listed above. Read the entry. This is an internship, not a residency.

Although I don't see a current listing for the internship based at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, text from a file I had saved is listed below. I'm not certain if contact information for this program is current, but it's worth a try:

"The Center for Comparative Research at University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) announces the search for a Clinical Veterinary Intern in laboratory animal medicine. The Clinical Veterinary Intern position is a one-year training experience providing clinical, research, and institutional service to the Center for Comparative Research and the institutional animal research mission.

The University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) is located in Jackson, MS, and serves as the health sciences campus of the University of Mississippi. UMMC is the leading biomedical research center for the State of Mississippi. Inhabiting approximately 50,000 ft2 of centrally administered laboratory animal space, the animal care and use program is AAALAC accredited with research projects utilizing a wide variety of species, predominantly including genetically-engineered mice & rats, but also including programs with swine, nonhuman primates, rabbits, fish, frogs, & chinchillas. Major research projects and protocols at UMMC involving animals are generally categorized as studies investigating hypertension and cardiovascular dynamics, obesity and related diseases, chemical dependency, depression, ocular microbiology, neuroanatomy, and cancer immunology and treatment.

The position is designed to provide a robust experience in laboratory animal medicine and enhance the Intern’s candidacy for a Laboratory Animal Residency program. After an initial orientation period, the successful candidate would be expected to be responsible for coordinating the veterinary technical team in the conduct of daily rounds to assess and implement appropriate diagnostic and clinical treatments for clinical cases, including some weekend and holidays. In conjunction with the assistant director and director, the Intern will assume management of the health surveillance program covering rodents and USDA covered species. The intern will help develop skills to assist UMMC research scientists with model development including protocol development, literature searches, and training for technical expertise for researchers and IACUC members. Additionally the Intern will assist in research support for the surgical program and anesthetic cases, including drug regime, delivery, and monitoring, patient preparation, surgical support and assistance, and post-operative care. This position provides the Intern the opportunity to serve as an ad hoc member of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, developing skills necessary for the creation and review of animal care and use protocols. The Intern will provide mentoring and assign tasks for veterinary and veterinary technician students participating in externships through Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine on the UMMC campus.

Jackson, MS, is the capital and the largest city in the state. The Jackson greater metropolitan has a census of approximately 600,000. The city was ranked third as the best "Bang For Your Buck" among the United States' 100 largest metro areas, according to Forbes magazine. A variety of housing is available within walking distance of the UMMC campus. The current slogan for the city is "Jackson, Mississippi: City with Soul” due to its world-class blues and jazz heritage. The city has served as host to the worldwide International Ballet Competition since 1979 and supports a growing award winning filmmaking industry. Within a three to four hour drive, one can experience the white sand beaches of the Gulf coast, the mountains of the Lookout Mountain ridge, and the charm of New Orleans and Memphis. A variety of outdoor activates available include hiking in the many Mississippi state parks or watersports at the Barnett Reservoir or the waterways of the Pearl and Pascagoula Rivers.

The ideal candidate should possess a DVM or VMD degree from a US accredited veterinary school or have successfully completed ECFVG certification program and be qualified to practice veterinary medicine in at least one state. Recent veterinary graduates with an interest in laboratory animal medicine are encouraged to apply.

Interested applicants should contact Andrew Grady or Linda Fulton at 601-984-1385."

Some of these programs may not actively recruit until after the Match results are decided. Be on the lookout- search the actual HR webpages of the institutions listed for application information. Some may have very tight timelines (i.e. only open for 1-2 weeks). These programs will recruit independently- not via the Match.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to reach out with any additional questions. Best of success to all this application season!