Lab Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouslystrong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the requirements for a bunch of medical schools to make sure I get everything I need in (I just recently moved to pre-med), and a lot of them have the standard reqs (year of bio, year of gen chem, year of o-chem, year of physics) which they want done "with lab". I'm unclear on whether "with lab" means that I should take one lab between the two lectures or one lab per lecture (this isn't an issue with o-chem, though, as there is only one lab offered). I ask because my initial plan was just to take all the labs offered anyway, but fitting a second lab for general bio might be tough (I will take a microbiology lab, though), so I want to know if not taking that lab would be okay. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Check your school's pre-med requirements. If your school states that 3 quarters of organic chemistry and 1 quarter of lab fulfills the pre-med requirement for organic chemistry, then med schools will accept just one quarter of lab.

However, if your school says you must take 2 semesters of organic chemistry each with its own lab. Then, you essentially have to take a years worth of lab.

Also remember that it is the total semester hours that med schools are looking for. So if you take two semesters of a 1-unit lab that adds up to 2 semester hours for the year. If you take a 4 unit lab that lasts one quarter, that counts as 2.7 semester hours.

These requirements vary with each school. But each school has set them up such that med schools will accept them regardless of whether they took one quarter or one year to complete.

These requirements vary with each school. But each school has set them up such that med schools will accept them regardless of whether they took one quarter or one year to complete.

Agree with above. Talk to the pre-med advisor at your school for a definitive answer.