Lab requirment ? for ChemEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vbdoc77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
adcoms werent sure of an answer for this, so i wanna see if anyone else has had this experience...

I'm a chemical engineering student looking to go to med school. I took a year of calculus-based physics, but there is no lab co-req. The head of cme department said that because we take a couple advanced labs for our major, med schools look past the lack of physics lab. However my premed advisor isnt so sure of this. Do you know if med schools really look past these labs because the ones I will take go beyond those? or is this something that I would need to ask each and every med school I'm looking at?

Sidenote: I would just take these and not chance it, but it would mean I would be taking 4 credits of labs each semester=11 hours or lab! This doesn't really work well with the rigorous schedule of a cme as it is.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

no one with a similar experience?

I don't think any school will likely look past the min requirements unless its stated in their admission prereqs saying so many hours physics with lab, that generally means if its a physics lab above the basics it will be ok, if its below or in another area (like engineering) its generally not ok. Same goes for bio, chem, etc.

Note: I didn't have any basic labs/courses for physics/chem/bio, took all higher level courses with labs and they counted (things like physical chemistry lab don't count it seems for physics or gen chem, but an advanced cell bio lab does for bio...if that makes sense) Seems like it'd be pretty school specific though.

Moral of story, its one credit, take an actual physics lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
adcoms werent sure of an answer for this, so i wanna see if anyone else has had this experience...

I'm a chemical engineering student looking to go to med school. I took a year of calculus-based physics, but there is no lab co-req. The head of cme department said that because we take a couple advanced labs for our major, med schools look past the lack of physics lab. However my premed advisor isnt so sure of this. Do you know if med schools really look past these labs because the ones I will take go beyond those? or is this something that I would need to ask each and every med school I'm looking at?

Sidenote: I would just take these and not chance it, but it would mean I would be taking 4 credits of labs each semester=11 hours or lab! This doesn't really work well with the rigorous schedule of a cme as it is.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm a ChE major as well and kind of went through the same thing...

I wouldn't take the advice of your cme advisor. I know it might be a hassle, and I have no idea how difficult your school's physics courses are, but in my case, I took a one credit algebra-based physics lab. It was actually the easiest lab I've ever taken. It doesn't need to be an advanced course, just one where you come in everyday and get credit for measuring how fast objects fall and spin. You'll actually enjoy the simplicity of it compared to your seperations or biochem labs :).

I'm a ChE major as well and kind of went through the same thing...

I wouldn't take the advice of your cme advisor. I know it might be a hassle, and I have no idea how difficult your school's physics courses are, but in my case, I took a one credit algebra-based physics lab. It was actually the easiest lab I've ever taken. It doesn't need to be an advanced course, just one where you come in everyday and get credit for measuring how fast objects fall and spin. You'll actually enjoy the simplicity of it compared to your seperations or biochem labs :).

Thanks for the advice! The lab is actually an hour shorter than most of my labs, so it might not be too terrible to take an easy A.