Lab Work, Grad School, and Disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rooted

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm interested in pursuing a Ph.D in clinical or counseling psychology and I have a good work ethic but I also have a chronic illness that takes a lot of energy away and walking can be difficult. I have to rest a lot throughout the day otherwise my bones just fall apart. I've seen people with my disorder have a Ph.D in psychology, and I'm going to reach out to them, but I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what lab work is like? I've been reading this forum off and on for years now and some other resources and the importance of research experience is always stressed for getting into a doctoral program. I imagine the research is individual to each study, but could this research be done sitting down at a table, or in a wheelchair? Is there a lot of walking around or standing, or having to drive from location to location to get a study done? I'm sorry if this is a silly question but before I let myself consider this path too seriously I really need to know if I'll be physically able enough to do it. If anyone could detail what the actual experience of being a part of a research lab is like, I would really appreciate it. What is a psychology lab room like? Are the research assistants in a small space between lab tables or is there room enough for a wheelchair? Have you ever seen a couch in a lab room? Sorry if that particular question was stupid - I'm just trying to get an idea of the experience. What kinds of accommodations have you seen in masters or doctoral programs for people with a physical disability?

My current thinking for my path to this field of study is going to be a bachelors in finance (I'm in my 3rd year now and am hoping it will help me down the line with running my own practice), a masters in experimental psychology (because I've heard you get a lot of research experience this way and it's hard to get into a Ph.D clinical psychology program with an unrelated bachelors), and then a Ph.D. I'm mentioning this just in case someone is wondering where I am on the educational track. I also would like to ask a second question- I'm in an online degree program for finance, which might send alarm bells to your head understandably, but my health got so bad a few years ago to the point that that was my only option. Do you think a finance degree from SNHU is going to be looked down upon by admissions for the masters and doctoral programs? I was thinking they would consider and understand the whole situation (a physically disabled person taking time to heal and get back on track) but I'm still pretty anxious about it. The affordability of it has helped immensely, and my parents are paying for most of it so, barring any unforeseen disasters, I will come out of undergrad with no debt.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! It took me forever to take this dream seriously enough to post on here about it- a lot of thinking went into the decision to get involved on this forum as I understand most people on here are so busy and professional. I genuinely appreciate everyone for interacting with me. Have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rooted, I don’t have much to contribute on the competitiveness aspect, but I wanted to encourage you to keep asking questions and navigating the logistics of pursuing psych training. I’d like to think we as a field are supportive and inclusive, though i’d guess in reality support is inconsistent, but many want it to improve, myself included.

Sent you a PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a ton to add to the advice given above but just wanted to say that the lab I'm in does have a couch.

It is clear that you are putting a lot of thought into this decision and I hope you do continue to pursue it.

Reactions: 1 user
Walking was not a problem for me. Doing EEG/ERP/fMRI research, I was usually parked behind a computer coding/processing/writing. If anything, I had to stop to take breaks to go for a walk and stretch or go to the gym. Also, I had a couch in my office, and it was definitely used often for naps. The SNHU degree will definitely be a hindrance, so you'll need to make sure your other peripheral stats make up for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for responding! I PMed everyone who invited me to reach out to them. I understand that the online degree may set me back but right now it is my only option as I am still recovering. It is hard not to just shrug this off as a pipe dream but I can see this as part of my future for myself and I am willing to work for it. I'm learning the best way for me to approach things is one step at a time and just being patient with myself. I really appreciate everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience with me; I hope you're all having a good day!