PhD/PsyD Research Fit and Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently seeking post-bacc research experience before (hopefully) attending a Ph.D. or Psy.D. program. It is my understanding that stated research fit is one of the most important factors used to determine acceptance and build a cohort. As of right now, I have a two options:
  1. Get a job as a post-bacc research coordinator in a subfield that isn't particularly relevant to my stated interest, but IS local. There is a teaching hospital near me that has a number of positions related to associations between sleep and psychopathology, for example.
  2. Get a post-bacc job at a lab that is targeted to my interests but requires that I uproot my life entirely.
My question is, effectively, how important is research fit when examining prior research experience? I have a good idea of the research I want to pursue and am confident I will be able to communicate my specialization to a committee. However, will they mind if my prior experiences aren't so razor-focused on the same subject? I am just wary about a cross-country move and only want to do so if it's really, REALLY worth it.
 
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently seeking post-bacc research experience before (hopefully) attending a Ph.D. or Psy.D. program. It is my understanding that stated research fit is one of the most important factors used to determine acceptance and build a cohort. As of right now, I have a two options:
  1. Get a job as a post-bacc research coordinator in a subfield that isn't particularly relevant to my stated interest, but IS local. There is a teaching hospital near me that has a number of positions related to associations between sleep and psychopathology, for example.
  2. Get a post-bacc job at a lab that is targeted to my interests but requires that I uproot my life entirely.
My question is, effectively, how important is research fit when examining prior research experience? I have a good idea of the research I want to pursue and am confident I will be able to communicate my specialization to a committee. However, will they mind if my prior experiences aren't so razor-focused on the same subject? I am just wary about a cross-country move and only want to do so if it's really, REALLY worth it.

It might help if you could be more specific about the topics involved so we could get a sense of how far apart the topics are.

However, generally you should prioritize the experience most likely to lead to publication.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

My (current) areas of interest are largely anxiety and perseveration, personality factors, and how both of these things impact psychotherapy process and mechanisms of change. The positions near me are largely more "psycho-medical" - sleep and affective disorders, neuromarkers of stress and suicide, etc. I think there would definitely be skill transfer in things like recruitment, data cleaning, and general research familiarity.

Because they're based in teaching hospitals, the road to publication seems a little more unclear to me but good reminder to prioritize a pub.
 
Years ago, I would have said move for the position. But, now, I would say don't move. This field requires you to uproot yourself so much already. You can generalize research skills learned in any lab.

Then again, I also recognize that I am speaking from the position of someone who doesn't have to worry about admissions anymore.
 
My guess is that these AMC studies have a ton of measures going in their studies and I would be surprised if they didn't have at least one anxiety measure and one personality measure, even like a brief FFM measure, or something that could be studied along with physio data. If I were you, would ask if there are opportunities for me to develop my own research project with some mentoring/statistical help.
 
Thanks for the tips all. I was mostly wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot for not relocating. Seems like the answer is not really, as long as I make the most of the opportunities I have.
 
Thanks for the tips all. I was mostly wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot for not relocating. Seems like the answer is not really, as long as I make the most of the opportunities I have.
I honestly don't think you would, especially if you perform well and are able to get publications (especially), presentations, and posters.