Laboratory Animal Case Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momokeen

c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow vets,
I'm looking for a solution to our record management woes at my facility. I'm a lab animal med resident and our current record system I do not love. Basically we use a google form that populates a spreadsheet but maybe its just the question formatting, but things are just not very easy to track. Rechecks fill separate lines and its just a mess. I'm looking for other options that might be easy to also fill out on a phone. We do not have a lot of animals at this time and our program is pretty small so free or fairly low cost is best. Bonus if the program can make cage cards as well. I've looked for open source options but most seem to focus on just the vivarium management side and not necessarily individual animal/colony health. All thoughts welcome! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I can’t recommend anything, my situation sounds almost the opposite of yours - large group, lots of animals, etc. Our records program was pretty much custom made and is pretty complex. Good luck though, that sounds tough!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also not a lot of help because I haaaate our records management system. It's basically what the vet school uses (because the University had a contract) so not the most user friendly or applicable for how things run in this field.

In my residency we had paper records at my first place - it was a pain but it worked. Hard to find things but there was a color coding system so it honestly was better than the current electronic system I'm working with. Like annual physicals were on green sheets, health issues were on yellow, etc.

At my second place in residency they had an amaaazing electronic record system that was (unfortunately for the rest of us) custom made for the facility. But it was slick and easy to navigate, you could input treatments in it and then there was a dashboard of treatments that needed to be done for the day so whoever did them could sign off on it and it would be input into the record, it was awesome. Again, no help though since it was a custom build for the place.

If you find something good let me know!

Thank you all! Yeah we can't really afford a fancy system but our research office pays for Cayuse (not the animal health package I guess) so its like :cautious:. Though that would probably be overkill for our needs. My residency is interesting because we really only maintain the health records for rodent (all we really have now, may get some rabbits soon) cases we see in the vivaria, but we have lots of other university animals that we occasionally see but those are in the vet hospital records system and I don't even deal with that usually lol. I've thought about repurposing an open source vet hospital management system but it still just would be a lot of useless functionality. It would be nice if there was a lower cost option for smaller facilities :/. But I might just need to get over the google forms think lol or at least change it so it makes more sense somehow. I'll keep ya'll updated. Thank you again!

i don’t know how it would work for LAM or anything and I haven’t used it much, just seen it used when shadowing but one of the humane societies I used to volunteer at used PetPoint if thats something you’d want to look into? I *think* PetPoint might make their cage cards, but I’m not positive.

i don’t know how it would work for LAM or anything and I haven’t used it much, just seen it used when shadowing but one of the humane societies I used to volunteer at used PetPoint if thats something you’d want to look into? I *think* PetPoint might make their cage cards, but I’m not positive.
I'll check it out! Thank you!