Laboratory/Teaching dog Adoption

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurehealervet

Tufts C/O 2019 :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm doing a project intended to illustrate positive steps the research and teaching community has taken to getting former lab/teaching cats and dogs adopted. Does anyone know of any resources or contacts I can use. Does anyone's school have an adoption program for their teaching or lab animals? I appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh! We totally do here at UCVM (University of Calgary Faculty of Vet Med).

I don't know if I necessarily have a contact at the school, but one of my classmates adopted one of our Beagles and I could probably put you two in touch?

Reactions: 1 user
Virginia Maryland has teaching dogs too, and we adopt all of ours out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know friends who have adopted lots of different animals from CSU. I think there is a specific person in charge of adoption stuff.

I do know that possible adoption vs. euthanasia vs. multiple studies is something that would need to be in the IOCUK (help me, what is the acronym? This is how it sounds in my head and I can't remember what it stands for) proposal. And every research department will have oversight.

IACUC. And honestly it's best to not advertise where teaching animals/ animal research occurs. Not everyone feels the same way about them and this is a public forum...

IACUC. And honestly it's best to not advertise where teaching animals/ animal research occurs. Not everyone feels the same way about them and this is a public forum...

Unfortunately, the more hardcore groups already know what higher education institution have research animals. UIUC has to deal with them a few times a month according to our research vet I met on rotations. Most groups already know that most, if not all, vet schools have research animals.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh! We totally do here at UCVM (University of Calgary Faculty of Vet Med).

I don't know if I necessarily have a contact at the school, but one of my classmates adopted one of our Beagles and I could probably put you two in touch?
If you could give me a way to contact your classmate that would be awesome! The project is still in its preliminary stages so I'm not sure what I'll end up using but I could definitely use some stories from people who have adopted animals. Thanks!

Homes for animal heroes is a good place to start I think. They just got involved with Mizzou (?I think??) To partner with them and increase lab animal adoptions post retirement

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I appreciate the concern but I was under the impression that sort of information is already widely available in terms of institutional compliance with the AWA and such if one feels the impetus to look for it. Though someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm happy to accept private messages as well if anyone feels uncomfortable posting on the thread.

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate the concern but I was under the impression that sort of information is already widely available in terms of institutional compliance with the AWA and such if one feels the impetus to look for it. Though someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm happy to accept private messages as well if anyone feels uncomfortable posting on the thread.

I believe if the school is a public institution, anyone can get the information through a request via the Freedom of Information Act.

If you could give me a way to contact your classmate that would be awesome! The project is still in its preliminary stages so I'm not sure what I'll end up using but I could definitely use some stories from people who have adopted animals. Thanks!

Just shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with her email!

Someone already mentioned, but Homes for Animal Heroes (HAH) would definitely be a great place to start. The University of Missouri was already adopting out animals from several different research dog colonies. However, they've recently partnered with HAH to increase this effort.

Someone already mentioned, but Homes for Animal Heroes (HAH) would definitely be a great place to start. The University of Missouri was already adopting out animals from several different research dog colonies. However, they've recently partnered with HAH to increase this effort.
Thanks, I've contacted them already and they are helping me with the project :)

I've adopted two dogs from Purdue's teaching dog program and would be happy to answer any questions you have via PM :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've adopted two dogs from Purdue's teaching dog program and would be happy to answer any questions you have via PM :)

So excited to meet mine! When do we start working with them in lab? I'd like to potentially adopt one but do most students fight over them?

So excited to meet mine! When do we start working with them in lab? I'd like to potentially adopt one but do most students fight over them?

You'll meet them during orientation and then you'll walk them one day a week and learn with them in lab every other week. And surprisingly there usually aren't fights over the dogs! I was definitely concerned that I would fall in love with my dog (or another group's dog) and that there would be issues but a lot of people already had enough dogs or simply didn't want a teaching dog.