Labs in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dave16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has already been answered but I was wondering, how much laboratory work is there to do in pharmacy school? Is it anything like undergrad orgo/biochem, etc where you have to spend dozens of hours each week doing the lab and even more hours writing reports?

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this question has already been answered but I was wondering, how much laboratory work is there to do in pharmacy school? Is it anything like undergrad orgo/biochem, etc where you have to spend dozens of hours each week doing the lab and even more hours writing reports?

Thanks for the input.
No. At my school we had lab for three semesters. All group work. Low stress, just show up participate. Some reading before for pre lab quiz, usually just 5 questions. Study guides provided for midterms and finals. Lab was not separate grade, about 20% of our pharmcare class grade.

Activities included non sterile and sterile compounding, counseling practice and other small activities.

No. At my school we had lab for three semesters. All group work. Low stress, just show up participate. Some reading before for pre lab quiz, usually just 5 questions. Study guides provided for midterms and finals. Lab was not separate grade, about 20% of our pharmcare class grade.

Activities included non sterile and sterile compounding, counseling practice and other small activities.
Mine was very similar but for four or five semesters, and more often than not required an extensive and time consuming pre-lab that was turned in during lab time. There wasn't much post-lab work usually.

Sometimes lab was moderately stressful (example: when required to make a specific number of capsules in a specific timeframe and there aren't enough scales to share) but mostly because you couldn't get too many individual lab fails or you would fail out of school (and they were generous with the individual lab fails).

Members don't see this ad :)
we had lab 2 hours a week for 3 years- one semester was compounding, one was IV prep, one was counseling, one was "retail work" and cannot remember the last two

You do spend hours in the lab doing lab-work, but at least in my 4-year pharmacy program it was all compounding lab. Chemistry and Organic were classroom and theoretical. Pharmaceutics was a classroom semester, then two semesters of pharmaceutics/compounding lab. Counseling was technically two semesters of lab with a class, just not lab bench, but we were prepping and being recorded on video with standardized patients. There are lab reports here and there, but not like undergrad Orgo or Biochem. That is supposed to be just a review in a 4 year program. There is a reason why Organic is a bellwether for entrance into pharmacy school.

pharmacy lab is nothing difficult

just calculations and compounding

I think we had to make a couple of IVs too

Thanks for the input guys. This was really helpful.

labs were my least favorite day by far. They are easy but way too much busy work that could have been done at home. You pay for 1 hour yet spend 4 hours doing stupid bs

I HATE LABS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app