LAC/Drew Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordews

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, What's the deal with the LAC/Drew EM program? I am out of state so I don't know much about the politics etc. of the hospital. I had heard that they were going through some tough times, but I also had heard that it wasn't a bad place to train as an EM physician because you got a lot of hands on experience. Is it even accredited any more? Would it even be worth applying to? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

jordews said:
Hey guys, What's the deal with the LAC/Drew EM program? I am out of state so I don't know much about the politics etc. of the hospital. I had heard that they were going through some tough times, but I also had heard that it wasn't a bad place to train as an EM physician because you got a lot of hands on experience. Is it even accredited any more? Would it even be worth applying to? Thanks for the help.

1) Going out of business
2) Yes, but probably not for long
3) No

Do a search on "Drew" and you'll find all the info you seek.

you might try a PM to "GeneralVeers" I believe he is an EM Resident there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jambi said:
you might try a PM to "GeneralVeers" I believe he is an EM Resident there.

I'm pyschic or something, I heard you talking about the place!

To the original poster: Don't come here unless you really really want to move to L.A. or you can't get in anywhere else. The program however, is not unbearable and has its strengths and weaknesses. The major strength is that as an intern you'll have a lot of autonomy. Interns here are functioning at the level of 2nd year residents at most other programs, merely due to circumstance. If you can handle some autonomy from day one, then this is a good place. If you need handholding, look elsewhere. Another strength is the procedures you get to do. As an intern I was intubating patients, and putting in central lines in my first week. Finally the schedule is awesome. Yeah the hospital sucks but you're not in house for long, we get 8 1/2 months of EM, which is more than any other program, and during those months we get half of the days off! The biggest weakness is the uncertainty. The situation has stabilized a bit in the last few months, due to a number of things:

1. The hospital isn't being closed yet. They are pending JAHCO inspection this fall. I'm not sure if the hospital will be reaccredited or not. If they pass the inspection, then this EM program will likely remain in business for at least the next 4-5 years. At any rate the situation should be sorted out by this Winter/Spring before the Match.

2. We've hired 5 new EM staff physicians, which means that there won't be as many entrenched, ornery attendings to deal with (although a few remain).

3. Despite the loss of our trauma center, our director has gotten official approval to start sending residents to train at the trauma center at California hospital. This will be excellent trauma training, because there are no surgery residents there, which means EM residents get to do all the intubations, chest tubes, thoracotomies, etc.

If you want any more info or any specific questions, PM me. Again, don't consider coming here unless you need to.

One thing I forgot to address. The EM program is fully accredited, and always has been. It's the hospital that lost accreditation last year.

A couple buddies of mine are going to be new attendings there. They're good guys, interesting characters, pretty sharp. Sounds like they'll be a hell of a lot better than some of the attendings they have had and maybe still have.

The chance of the county/feds letting it go out of business is pretty slim. They will start killing people before they let it close (some would argue that they've been doing that all along). The impact on the rest of the LA hospitals and the downtown community would be a health care disaster. Already, I know of one nearby hospital that has closed its ED because the additional trauma care shunted from King was bankrupting them. If King closed, say bye bye to pretty much all the downtown hospitals, then watch them fall in concentric circles over the next couple years until the nice neighborhoods no longer have hospitals that can afford to stay in business.

Sessamoid said:
A couple buddies of mine are going to be new attendings there. They're good guys, interesting characters, pretty sharp. Sounds like they'll be a hell of a lot better than some of the attendings they have had and maybe still have.

The chance of the county/feds letting it go out of business is pretty slim. They will start killing people before they let it close (some would argue that they've been doing that all along). The impact on the rest of the LA hospitals and the downtown community would be a health care disaster. Already, I know of one nearby hospital that has closed its ED because the additional trauma care shunted from King was bankrupting them. If King closed, say bye bye to pretty much all the downtown hospitals, then watch them fall in concentric circles over the next couple years until the nice neighborhoods no longer have hospitals that can afford to stay in business.

Politically I can't see how they could close the hospital. It serves the poorest communities in Los Angeles. Many of these people come to the hospital because it is in walking distance, and they would be unable to find transportation to another county facility. They've already been talking about cutbacks at Harbor and USC as well, so you're right. If King closes, then those will be on the chopping block too.

Last month the death rate at King/Drew was actually below the national average! This is partially due to improvements in care because of increased scrutiny, but the main reason has to do with the closure of the trauma center. When the trauma center was open we were criticized for having a higher-than-average patient mortality rate, however it makes sense when you figure that facility was receiving 40% of all the penetrating trauma in LA County. As most of you know the mortality rate for penetrating trauma is enormous, and probably bumped up the hospital's numbers significantly.