Lack of away rotations and ortho match

Started by Frogger27
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Frogger27

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Given that there is a very realistic possibility we may not be able to do away rotations, how do we think this is going to affect applicants? I feel like this significantly affects some of the less competitive students who were in the “kill your aways” category to match and step 1 is more important than before. Maybe taking step 2 early and doing well will be more important this time around. LORs and people reaching out on applicants behalf may be more important now given the lack of students being able to vouch for themselves on aways.. probably more home matches this upcoming cycle?

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on how this will play out?
 
I'm guessing the less competitive applicants will try to do a research year. I imagine it'll be the only way to really weather this storm.
 
I'm guessing the less competitive applicants will try to do a research year. I imagine it'll be the only way to really weather this storm.

unfortunately, a lot of research year positions get filled January-March so this will not be a viable option for a number of students, particularly since it is post match and most got filled with unmatched applicants
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Many schools have ways to do research years without getting accepted to a fellowship. Ex. my school gives us the option of paying 5% of tuition during our research year and you can still take out loans for living expenses. I am not optimistic about residencies being very flexible in terms of LORs despite the lack of aways, so if you apply this year you really have to kill home rotations.
 
unfortunately, a lot of research year positions get filled January-March so this will not be a viable option for a number of students, particularly since it is post match and most got filled with unmatched applicants

Dang, that is intense. I knew it was already late, but golly.