1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of experience entering pharmacy school

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by PhatPharm2012, Jun 16, 2008.

1. PhatPharm2012

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm preparing to start my first year of Pharmacy school in August but i'm feeling really nervous because I have absolutely no experience in the pharmacy field. I did some volunteer work but never worked as a Pharm tech.
    Did ayone here entered pharmacy school without having any work experience in the field? How much more difficult will school be for me if I never worked in pharmacy before?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mike36

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I had zero experience...it did not affect me at all. Of course I was not familiar with many of the drugs, but that is just memorization crap. Don't worry about it.

Try search function...numerous threads with this topic exist.

4. PhatPharm2012

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Thanks Mike36 for the response, it's good to know that the lack of experience didn't affect you. I feel a lot less nervous now, Thanks.

5. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I don't think that lack of experience going into school will hurt you. However, I have found it helpul to keep on working during school that way I am able to apply the knowledge that I have learned to some extent and not jut memorize it.

6. njac

njac Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I also started pharmacy school without any pharmacy experience. Get a pharmacy job as soon as you can but I didn't find myself at a disadvantage due to it at the beginning.

I will say that I have learned tons and tons from work and lots of things we never addressed in school. I think pharmacy work is incredibly important.