Lack of experience entering pharmacy school

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by PhatPharm2012, Jun 16, 2008.

1. PhatPharm2012

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm preparing to start my first year of Pharmacy school in August but i'm feeling really nervous because I have absolutely no experience in the pharmacy field. I did some volunteer work but never worked as a Pharm tech.
    Did ayone here entered pharmacy school without having any work experience in the field? How much more difficult will school be for me if I never worked in pharmacy before?

2. mike36

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I had zero experience...it did not affect me at all. Of course I was not familiar with many of the drugs, but that is just memorization crap. Don't worry about it.

Try search function...numerous threads with this topic exist.

3. PhatPharm2012

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Thanks Mike36 for the response, it's good to know that the lack of experience didn't affect you. I feel a lot less nervous now, Thanks.

4. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I don't think that lack of experience going into school will hurt you. However, I have found it helpul to keep on working during school that way I am able to apply the knowledge that I have learned to some extent and not jut memorize it.

5. njac

njac Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I also started pharmacy school without any pharmacy experience. Get a pharmacy job as soon as you can but I didn't find myself at a disadvantage due to it at the beginning.

I will say that I have learned tons and tons from work and lots of things we never addressed in school. I think pharmacy work is incredibly important.