Apr 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My school writes a committee letter along with submitting all our individual letters.

I have 4 letters that will be included in that packet:
A physician (my employer as an MA)
A professor (took 2 courses with her)
My thesis advisor/professor (3 years in his lab, took one class with him)
My coach for a club sport that I was captain of

I am confident in the strength of these letters and my committee letter.

I'm currently in AmeriCorps VISTA (Oct 2020 - Oct 2021). I had considered asking for a LOR from my current boss, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it will not be as strong as my other letters.

My boss is willing to write a letter for me, but for a variety of reasons, I believe it will be mediocre, especially compared to my other letters.

If I do not submit a LOR from my AmeriCorps position, will adcoms see this as a red flag? Do they expect to see letters from significant experiences like AmeriCorps?

My time in AmeriCorps has been an eye opening, powerful experience that I certainly intend to talk about in my application. I just don't believe that the relationship I have with my boss will produce a strong LOR.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: 1 user
May 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Nah unless the school explicitly asks for one from current gap year activities but i think those are pretty few.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Lack of LOR Red Flag?

My school writes a committee letter along with submitting all our individual letters.

I'm currently in AmeriCorps VISTA (Oct 2020 - Oct 2021). I had considered asking for a LOR from my current boss, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it will not be as strong as my other letters.

My boss is willing to write a letter for me, but for a variety of reasons, I believe it will be mediocre, especially compared to my other letters.

If I do not submit a LOR from my AmeriCorps position, will adcoms see this as a red flag? Do they expect to see letters from significant experiences like AmeriCorps?

My time in AmeriCorps has been an eye opening, powerful experience that I certainly intend to talk about in my application. I just don't believe that the relationship I have with my boss will produce a strong LOR.

Thanks for your help.
NO!
1) Premed committee letter is the summary evaluation of the applicant and that is what matters
2) No committee is required to attach letters to their eval. Some do not collect letters at all but talk to faculty and create summary from that
3) many committees will not accept letters from writers outside of their own faculty
4) most medical schools require/recommend academic letters
5) your time at Americorps speaks for itself

Reactions: 3 users

ThatSerb

5+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2015
Vandelay Industries

Thanks for your help.
hey for what its worth i joined the americorps shortly before applying. i also felt like I didn't know my boss enough yet to have them write a letter. but I still talked a lot about my service during interviews/secondaries. and I did get accepted. so don't worry about it

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.