Lack of LOR Red Flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosty42

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school writes a committee letter along with submitting all our individual letters.

I have 4 letters that will be included in that packet:
A physician (my employer as an MA)
A professor (took 2 courses with her)
My thesis advisor/professor (3 years in his lab, took one class with him)
My coach for a club sport that I was captain of

I am confident in the strength of these letters and my committee letter.

I'm currently in AmeriCorps VISTA (Oct 2020 - Oct 2021). I had considered asking for a LOR from my current boss, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it will not be as strong as my other letters.

My boss is willing to write a letter for me, but for a variety of reasons, I believe it will be mediocre, especially compared to my other letters.

If I do not submit a LOR from my AmeriCorps position, will adcoms see this as a red flag? Do they expect to see letters from significant experiences like AmeriCorps?

My time in AmeriCorps has been an eye opening, powerful experience that I certainly intend to talk about in my application. I just don't believe that the relationship I have with my boss will produce a strong LOR.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nah unless the school explicitly asks for one from current gap year activities but i think those are pretty few.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because you have the committee letter, you are golden.

My school writes a committee letter along with submitting all our individual letters.

I have 4 letters that will be included in that packet:
A physician (my employer as an MA)
A professor (took 2 courses with her)
My thesis advisor/professor (3 years in his lab, took one class with him)
My coach for a club sport that I was captain of

I am confident in the strength of these letters and my committee letter.

I'm currently in AmeriCorps VISTA (Oct 2020 - Oct 2021). I had considered asking for a LOR from my current boss, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it will not be as strong as my other letters.

My boss is willing to write a letter for me, but for a variety of reasons, I believe it will be mediocre, especially compared to my other letters.

If I do not submit a LOR from my AmeriCorps position, will adcoms see this as a red flag? Do they expect to see letters from significant experiences like AmeriCorps?

My time in AmeriCorps has been an eye opening, powerful experience that I certainly intend to talk about in my application. I just don't believe that the relationship I have with my boss will produce a strong LOR.

Thanks for your help.
hey for what its worth i joined the americorps shortly before applying. i also felt like I didn't know my boss enough yet to have them write a letter. but I still talked a lot about my service during interviews/secondaries. and I did get accepted. so don't worry about it

Reactions: 3 users