Lack of Motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doorknob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I am fairly new here and wanted to post my dilemma.
I am an international dentist and I am attempting to give my nbde score for the second time after my first attempt resulted in a very sad and patehtic score.
I am facing a serious lack of motivation. My problem seems to be picking up my books for the 2nd time and reading again.

Is there anybody else facing the same lack of motivation? or has EVER faced it?
If anybody has any advice it would be appreciated. Pretty much I am overwhelmed at the amount of syllabus that needs to be covered.
So if anybody has any advice for me to overcome the jitters please do me a favor and share.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Friends,
I am an international dentist and I am attempting to give my nbde score for the second time after my first attempt resulted in a very sad and patehtic score.
I am facing a serious lack of motivation. My problem seems to be picking up my books for the 2nd time and reading again.

If anybody has any advice it would be appreciated. Pretty much I am overwhelmed at the amount of syllabus that needs to be covered.
So if anybody has any advice for me to overcome the jitters please do me a favor and share.

Well i for once tried thrice,and finally got in
maybe u should find a study partner,but dont be depressing .
Its hard,but easy ,i know it sounds like a paradox
but once u srt it rolls into u,Iam sure u will be doing grt one day with a great practice ,driving a Bmw or mers which evr u like.
The road is not so tough my friend,dont lose heart
FAILUE IS DELAY NOT DEFEAT.

Don't give up! What I did to make things a little easier for me was to use textbooks as the last resort...They have way to much information and by the time I was done with one book I had already forgot what I'd studied in the previous one. When I got serious about the NBDE I only used a textbook for Biochemistry and an Atlas of Anatomy. I studied the rest from Dental Decks, Kaplan Lecture Notes, First Aid for the NBDE and for the USMLE.
Maybe this way you won't feel so overwhelmed...:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Friends,

Dont even think of giving up. Plenty of people make it in the 2 nd, 3rd or 4th attempt ( including me).
Remember the alternative- not practicing dentistry is going to suck like hell- at least that's what I'd tell myself whenever I wanted to throw the books across a room.

So if you don't feel like hitting the books for a day or two or even a week, give yourself a break. It's ok! But come back and go at it.

hey la fea hi there. can u pls tell me if we r in US since 2 yrs without US experience they wont accept us in schools?

Hello there everyone,
I truly appreciate your input. I will try to follow your advice, but to be honest I just feel sooo OVERWHELMED...i dont understand. I am so scared of studdying again that Im sometimes spending 20-30 mins on one page because I feel like I cant miss ANYTHING. The next day I open the book, I obviously dont remember some/any of it and *whoosh*...close the book and go watch TV...something is seriously wrong.

hey la fea hi there. can u pls tell me if we r in US since 2 yrs without US experience they wont accept us in schools?

A common recurring question in all of my interviews has been "what have you been doing since graduating from dental school?"

I am now understanding that US experience is important. BUT what about some candidates who come in straight from their home countries, just for the interviews? The *may not have US experience right?

But IMO, even non dental related experience helps- MPH, PhD, MHA, volunteering, observership, shadowing, DA, learning a foreign language, continuing education...it all helps.

It is also understandable if you have exonerating circumstances- people get sick, babies come along, life happens.

So to answer your question, I don't know. What I do know is this- present yourself on paper and in person in the best light you can. Practice the interview questions, definitely your hand skills. If you believe in a God pray.:D:luck: