lack of preparedness in new grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...type=blogs&smid=tw-nytimeswell&seid=auto&_r=1&

Interesting article,
although this article is specficially about physicians, I think you could substitute pharmacist, nurse , etc. Definitely think we need to address this concern in pharmacy school. A logical comparission is at a local school here they have the students make ONE simulated IV their entire time, ONE??? WTH - we had one semester dedicated to sterile compounding.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dumb article.

Point out to me where the author actually demonstrates lack of preparedness in new medical graduates.
 
So...University of Kentucky or Wisconsin Madison?

My school is pretty well established and ranks quite highly. They don't get everything right, but there is an awful lot of IV work.
good guess, but not the one - can't comment on their schools, my school was not highly ranked, not trying to disparage good schools, just a comment that we may be needing to focus more on the "common sense" and operations
 
Seriously, just one IV? For the first three years of classes we did IV almost every other to every third week.

I'd be pissed as a student...this belongs within the realm of intern hour training. I'm not paying tuition to duplicate what my employer is paying me to train/do on a weekly basis.
 
I'd be pissed as a student...this belongs within the realm of intern hour training. I'm not paying tuition to duplicate what my employer is paying me to train/do on a weekly basis.

Falls within the realm of intern training precisely because it's tech work. I attend a reputable school and we are only required to compound one, maybe two, IV products. Having to prepare any more would annoy me as well.
 
Falls within the realm of intern training precisely because it's tech work. I attend a reputable school and we are only required to compound one, maybe two, IV products. Having to prepare any more would annoy me as well.
I've heard stated that staff also felt it was excessive and were changing things for new students.
 
I would say students are very unprepared to be pharmacists. You all have to IPPEs because of it. You don't work enough hours and when you go on your APPE's in your senior year you are useless. There are two parts to your education. The didactic work in the classroom and the real world experience in a hospital or community pharmacy. If you cant work 15-20 hours a week, you can;t work for me.
 
I think 16-20hrs/week consistently as an intern in one setting is the minimum to be proficient and functional by graduation.