lack of progress with physical sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOLA46

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So, I just can't seem to make much progress in PS. I devoted around 75 % of my practice time on physical sciences for the 2014 MCAT and scored a 7 : / .......I'm really having trouble with the timing, often running out of time or spending too much time on one passage. I feel like I have a good grasp of the content, but it just takes me a long time to takle the passage and questions.

Unless anyone has a better solution, my plan is to do all the problems in the AAMC PS bundle packs, review the passages and answers, and then use the diagnostic tool to focus in on the areas I'm weak.

After that, I'm thinking the next step would be a tutor.

Any advice, opinions, comments?

Members don't see this ad.

The good news is that on the MCAT2015 there is more time per question across the board. Additionally, there will be a lot less physics, and a little less general and organic chemistry. Everyone is different but those are the subjects in PS that are the hardest for me.
I've found that reading actual papers has helped tremendously to increase the time it takes me to get through a passage. It's sorta similar to the CARS section in that you have to see the passage as a whole (the purpose, the major trends, themes) but you also need to identify the small pieces of important information. Reading articles help you with speed, understanding them helps with the rest. If you can afford a tutor it might not be a bad idea.

Hi All,

So, I just can't seem to make much progress in PS. I devoted around 75 % of my practice time on physical sciences for the 2014 MCAT and scored a 7 : / .......I'm really having trouble with the timing, often running out of time or spending too much time on one passage. I feel like I have a good grasp of the content, but it just takes me a long time to takle the passage and questions.

Unless anyone has a better solution, my plan is to do all the problems in the AAMC PS bundle packs, review the passages and answers, and then use the diagnostic tool to focus in on the areas I'm weak.

After that, I'm thinking the next step would be a tutor.

Any advice, opinions, comments?
I recommend taking a look at the EK books for PS. They really dumb it down by making you look at questions "smarter." If you;re running out of time you're spending too much time trying to calculate instead of doing shortcuts.

I recommend getting EK Physics and chemistry, as well as getting their critical reasoning and analysis book which goes over math skills needed for the MCAT.

Get the 1001 questions for Physics and chemistry (I personally wouldn't bother with the Orgo book, but if you have the time it doesn't hurt) Just hammer down questions that you struggle with. If you're doing poorly in PS alone I doubt it's your ability to deal with passages and more just with the content itself which the 1001 books are great for.

Reactions: 1 user