Retake 516 with 123 CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lachea7223

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My score was released today as a 516 (132/123/131/130). I want to retake it because I had a bad fever (non-covid) during the exam and only slept for 2 hours the night before; my brain was utterly toasted during sections with long passages, like my eyes would be moving while no information was retained. I randomly filled in around 12 questions in CARS and 5 questions in PS. My average FLs was 523-524. This attempt did not really showcase my best ability. I'm also aiming for my state school and Mayo, both with a median of 519-521 (especially worried that my CARS is too low, 3 points lower than their bottom 10 percentile). I just want to know if it is fine to retake it based on my goal and my situation. I'm quite confident about scoring a 520+ as long as I finish the exam. Appreciate any advice possible!

Below are some info and ECs completed as of now:

cGPA: 3.97; sGPA: 3.96
-Clinical Research (will continue full time and will publish): 800 hours
-Basic Science Research: 1000 hours + 500 hours (both organic synthesis)
-Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours (food pantry) + 600 hours (free tutoring)
-Clinical volunteering: 550 hours (Crisis Text Line)
-Clinical Experience: 1300 hours (scribing at a clinic)
-Leadership: 200 hours (website creator) + 220 hours (club leadership)
-Some other employment: 1200 hours

P.S. I understand this is a really good score, and I'm happy about it. Though I have specific interests in my t20 state school and Mayo Clinic (their mission is why I want to do medicine), thus it would help to have the extra points.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My score was released today as a 516 (132/123/131/130). I want to retake it because I had a bad fever (non-covid) during the exam and only slept for 2 hours the night before; my brain was utterly toasted during sections with long passages, like my eyes would be moving while no information was retained.

"I just felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of premeds suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced..."

Do you want a WAMC analysis?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
retaking a 516 would be incredibly stupid. Full stop. If I was reviewing your app, I'd think you were dumb for retaking even if you got a higher score. However, at that level, you're pretty likely to do worse, which again, would hurt your app and make us all question your maturity.

Relax bro, you're gonna get in somewhere/ be fine. You may not get into NYU/Einstein, but you could get a 525 and still probably not get into those schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else miss the old, standard, reliable 3.5 hour MCAT? Biology, chemisry, physics, writing, DONE???

Does anyone else miss the old, standard, reliable 3.5 hour MCAT? Biology, chemisry, physics, writing, DONE???

I had no idea this was the old format but I would much rather write instead of read

• Love