Lack of tech skills as a vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greengal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year all. Question: getting closer to last year of vet school (internship) and concerned that I cannot perform a cystocentesis or place an IV catheter. All of the places I have worked have been too busy to adequately teach me. Thoughts? How do you all feel about relying on your techs when in practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Techs are better at it than I am at one clinic I work at and more variable at the other. I'm 100% fine handing it off for them to do if they're comfortable/confident...and it saves me time since there's stuff I gotta do that they can't. The funny thing for me is when I get called over to place a difficult catheter and I'm like...well here's hoping I'm having a good day, haven't done one of these in a month :laugh:

In any case, chances are there will be someone wherever you end up who is good at that stuff and can teach you.

Reactions: 2 users
Techs are better at it than I am at one clinic I work at and more variable at the other. I'm 100% fine handing it off for them to do if they're comfortable/confident...and it saves me time since there's stuff I gotta do that they can't. The funny thing for me is when I get called over to place a difficult catheter and I'm like...well here's hoping I'm having a good day, haven't done one of these in a month :laugh:

In any case, chances are there will be someone wherever you end up who is good at that stuff and can teach you.
Thank you for that response 😀I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
The skills needed are client communication, ordering and interpreting diagnostics, and coming up with treatment plans. Not to mention making sure leadership skills are top notch as you are the one directing the techs/assistants and handling the flow of appointments.

Reactions: 2 users
I can do a cystocentesis (techs aren't allowed to where I've worked) but I can count on one hand the number of times I've placed an IV catheter or drew blood since I graduated in 2015. I have no problem leaving those skills to the techs.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're just starting your clinical year, no one expects you to be good at those things going in. If you're getting ready to go out to get a job, it will really depend on where you end up. I'm specifically looking for places with a good tech to doctor ratio cause they went to school to do these things well. I'd rather rely on techs to do tech stuff cause that's why they went to school in the first place.

Reactions: 3 users
Happy New Year all. Question: getting closer to last year of vet school (internship) and concerned that I cannot perform a cystocentesis or place an IV catheter. All of the places I have worked have been too busy to adequately teach me. Thoughts? How do you all feel about relying on your techs when in practice?
I rely on my techs all the time -- in fact, they'd rather I not be there to do it at all. They are far better at IV catheter and ET tube placement than I am. However, you still need to know how to do those things because, ultimately, the buck stops with you. You don't necessarily have to be good at them, but you do need how to successfully do it.....but you've got time yet to learn.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm specifically looking for places with a good tech to doctor ratio cause they went to school to do these things well. I'd rather rely on techs to do tech stuff cause that's why they went to school in the first place.

+1

Working as a tech, I (and my teammates) actually prefer if doctors leave tech things to techs, it saves much time this way. A doctor has a hundred ways to make a tech's day - a simple thank you, acknowledging the physical demanding nature of techs' job and gestures to help in some lifting or positioning, responding to techs' feedback on patient care, standing up for the techs regarding rude clients, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Working as a tech, I (and my teammates) actually prefer if doctors leave tech things to techs, it saves much time this way.
I worked in a 1.5 doctor practice open 7 days a week (she worked 5, then had a relief come in for the half day Saturday and full Sunday). Main doctor was very involved in her hospital, including labwork, blood draws, pharmacy stuff, etc. Part of the reason for this was she had one certified tech and one assistant/reception (which was me). There simply weren't enough of us to get everything done. I learned a lot from that clinic, including how invaluable techs are and how efficient a hospital can be when you have a good tech to doctor ratio.

I worked in a 1.5 doctor practice open 7 days a week (she worked 5, then had a relief come in for the half day Saturday and full Sunday). Main doctor was very involved in her hospital, including labwork, blood draws, pharmacy stuff, etc. Part of the reason for this was she had one certified tech and one assistant/reception (which was me). There simply weren't enough of us to get everything done. I learned a lot from that clinic, including how invaluable techs are and how efficient a hospital can be when you have a good tech to doctor ratio.
That must be hard for everyone...the GP I worked in barely functions with at least 2 techs/assistants per doctor, and the ER I'm working in struggles even with 3:1 tech to vet.

Does your school offer any elective rotations where you are able to practice these things?

Ours has a "tech week" where you hang out with one of the IM technicians and do tech appointments. It's not widely publicized, so not too many people know about it, but those who have done it seem to really appreciate the experience.

Maybe your school has something similar or you can work with them to create something?

If you feel weak on tech skills, definitely take that into account when job-hunting.

In my 14 years in small animal GP, I've worked in some practices where I never did blood draws or placed catheters and some practices where I did ALL of the blood draws and catheter placement. Several practices that I worked in were either very understaffed or lacked trained techs/assistants, so it was on me to do most of my own tech work. Make sure you look for a practice with lots of well-trained support staff (ideally credentialed techs).